Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Herc mk2 kept Disconnecting itself last night

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

jimmy bPRO InfinityMember since 2007
At my Local gig, last night. My herc mk2 kept disconnecting itself. VirtualDJ would freeze and the audio stopped.

When I closed down VirtualDJ every time I saw a error message on the tool bar, saying something like "A USB device has malfunctioned (I presumed the mk2). Windows may not recognised this device" I reinstalled the 2008 drivers for it, 3 times and it would work for abit, then go again. On the forth time I gave up and finished the night on CD.

Has anybody seen this before, I've just spent a email to Hercules regarding this issue, as it is the bank holiday here in the UK. I'll probably won't hear anything until Tuesday.

Is it time to buy a RMX?

Posted Sun 25 May 08 @ 9:07 am
DJ-ALFPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2005
It can be power supply issue, maybe MK2 cannot be supplied on the USB port, you can try Powered USB hub (with external power adapter) or you can get Power Adapter for MK2 ( I think it is 9 volts, not sure). Also, maybe USB cable is bad, you can buy one (Printer USB cable), buy as short as you can find as long cables on USB devices can make problems such as this.

Posted Sun 25 May 08 @ 10:54 am
If it is a power issue, why has it been OK for a year, and all of a sudden it's started doing this?

As for the cable I thought that too DJ ALF. Just tried a different usb cable, one off my printer, which is only a month or two old and it's done it to me twice this afternoon at home.

Posted Sun 25 May 08 @ 11:09 am
Do you have another computer to try it there? If it does the same, it sound like it is faulty MK2, you might contact Hercules.

Posted Sun 25 May 08 @ 11:25 am
Hi Jimmy,

1) Did you install any new USB peripheral on this computer?
The drivers of another USB peripheral may have changed your USB settings.
In case a power setting was changed on your USB port setting (for the USB port where your DJ Console MK2 is connected):
- Click on Start > Settings > Control Panel > System
- Open the Hardware tab, and click on Device Manager
- At Universal Serial Bus Controllers, click on the + sign to develop the tree
- Right-click USB Root Hub and select Properties.
- Open the Power Management tab
- Disable the option "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power".
- and validate with OK.

2) If it remains unchanged, you should try to connect your DJ Console Mk2 to the PC via a powered USB hub.

Posted Mon 26 May 08 @ 4:13 am
Made In Breizh wrote :

1) Did you install any new USB peripheral on this computer?

No mate, I have my herc in 1 USB port and my External harddrive in another, been like this for over a year

Made In Breizh wrote :

- At Universal Serial Bus Controllers, click on the + sign to develop the tree
- Right-click USB Root Hub and select Properties.
- Open the Power Management tab
- Disable the option "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power".
- and validate with OK.

I have 5 USB Root Hubs in the tree, which I have disabled the power saving option for all off them (I know I've got the right one then...hehe).

When I connect the herc I get 1 Composite Device in the tree. I go into it and I only get 3 tabs, General, Driver, Detail. I can't see any power tab, is this right?

As I've turned off the power option for all my hubs, would this one be turned of aswell?

Posted Mon 26 May 08 @ 4:57 am
Should be off. Try to reinstall drivers and update firmware on MK2.

Posted Mon 26 May 08 @ 6:09 am
DJ-ALF wrote :
Should be off. Try to reinstall drivers and update firmware on MK2.

Right, Got the latest firmware already and re-installed the drivers again (12 times) now. And all the USB hubs power saving options are of I think, fingers crossed

I've only had time to have a mix for about 30 mins tonight. Will have a longer play tomorrow. Hercules should get back to me then aswell, regarding this issue and i'm looking forward to what they say.

Posted Mon 26 May 08 @ 4:38 pm
Jimmy, make sure to check your junk-mail if your ISP has a filter...Hercules answered me recently and their responses went into the spam folder!

BTW, Remember that shiny new MK2 I got a few months ago? Well, this one has headphone volume (potentiometer) problems (crackles on the right channel like crazy)!! I think they're just throwing them together now that they've been so busy rolling out the RMX. So I've got to send this one back now, too...YUK!! >:-(

If your unit is out of warranty, you might want to open it up and look at the internal connections as well (ribbon cables between the boards), they've been known to loosen up if they are not properly glued...Trust me ;)

Posted Wed 28 May 08 @ 1:39 am

Cheer's Doc, Just check my email's and nothing, not even in the junk mail. I know it we just had a bank holiday, but I would of thought there would be something today. I'll give them another couple of days.

Just going to try a long mixing session now to see if it does it now I've turned them hubs off.

Posted Wed 28 May 08 @ 9:16 am

4 days on and no response from Hercules.

I can feel and another email coming on.

Posted Thu 29 May 08 @ 9:14 am
Sorry to hear that, hope they will solve your problem.

Posted Fri 30 May 08 @ 9:32 am

Just got this back from hercules regarding this issue, they sent it to my personal email, clever stuff.

Mr. Bramble,

After a research on many DJ forums, we have found a post from you on the Virtual DJ website:

http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/90557/Hardware_Technical_Support/Herc_mk2_kept_Disconnecting_itself__last_night.html

and that you encounter some major problems with your Hercules DJ Console MK2.

Also we see on this forum that you already have written us and you did not get any response from our technical support. On that matter please allow me to mention that the only communication we have had with you dates since February 2008, so it seems that your last enquiry did not reach us.

As we don’t know if there is a server problem from our side or possible the E-Mail was sent to another department (like Webmaster or commercial) please accept our apologize in not finding your last E-Mail (our database and E-Mail system really do not find any request from you - james.bramble@ntlworld.com – after February 2008).

In what concerns the situation you encounter your MK2 device, we have carefully read your topic on the VDJ forum and we would like to ask the followings:

- Connect the console to the PC and open the Control Panel of the console (normally it can be found in Tray, otherwise in C:/ Program Files/ Hercules), go to “About”-tab and write us back what information do you have there (firmware, drivers version…); if possible also a screenshot

- When the console is connected to your computer please let us know what LEDs are ON permanently on the device (Play, Cue, Audio source etc..)

- Did you have time please to test the console on another PC? Is happening there exactly the same issue?

Also we would like to know the reference and code number from the back of the MK2 console.

We thank you very much for your time and we are waiting for your feedback.

Best regards,

Hercules Technical Support

www.hercules.com

Hercules DJ MIX ROOM: www.herculesdjmixroom.com

Didn't Know they also check the different forums for problems.

Posted Fri 30 May 08 @ 10:54 am

Just got this back from hercules, which I'm quite pleased about.

Dear Mr. Bramble,

First of all we would like to thank you for your quick answer.

What happens to your console seems to be very strange, we have to admit that no similar situation was reported here at Tech Support and also our tests on that model never told us identical issues.

However we think that there could be a hardware problem with the console itself (the console may lose the firmware during the mix - you can check for example the firmware version right after the problem appears, the ribbon cable may be lose or other components of the console may overheat...), anyway it is quite strange (we have noted the reference of your console, that will help us for future research).

The console has 2-year warranty, therefore we would like to recommend you to have your console changed to the shop where you bought it from (if it is still under this warranty period).

Please do not hesitate to come back to us if any kind of problems.

Best regards,

Hercules Technical Support

www.hercules.com

Posted Mon 02 Jun 08 @ 10:21 am
Jimmy,

They told me to bring mine back to the shop also (the first time), and the "shop" had a thirty days maximum return policy. That's why I ended up sending mine almost to Canada for exchange. They say it takes 3-4 weeks at least. Last time, it was longer than that (backorder)...I'm probably going to have to get a sound card for the interim because of a steady gig I've got now, and my lappy sound is way too muddy and flat to gig with :(

Anyway, good luck! Let us know how you made out ;)

Posted Tue 03 Jun 08 @ 1:45 am
discjockeydoc wrote :
Jimmy,

They told me to bring mine back to the shop also (the first time), and the "shop" had a thirty days maximum return policy. That's why I ended up sending mine almost to Canada for exchange.

That's what they said to me. Got to send it to hercules direct, just waiting for them to get back to me with a address to send it to.

I'll have to use my Maya, which I use for my timecode set up, to get by on.

Posted Tue 03 Jun 08 @ 10:17 am

Got to send it to France!!!!!

It's going to cost a bomb in postage, lol

Posted Tue 03 Jun 08 @ 12:32 pm
BUMMER >:-(

Posted Tue 03 Jun 08 @ 3:05 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)