Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Power Plug Noise

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hi All,

I noticed a weird digital noise coming through the output of my Hercules MK2 When music is not playing. I chased it and discovered that it was coming from the laptop's power plug. When the laptop is NOT plugged in, the noise stops. The minute I plug it in, the noise comes back.

Does anyone know how to get rid of this sound if it's even possible to get rid of.

Thank you in advance for your response.

dj Mack

Posted Sat 24 May 08 @ 3:46 am
jimmy bPRO InfinityMember since 2007
It's probably a grounding/earthing problem.

You will want a ground loop isolator like This.

Or you can get the them that your plug for you laptop plugs into.

Posted Sat 24 May 08 @ 3:50 am
Hey jimmy b,

Thank You for responding. Where can I get the ground Isolator. Is it something I can purchased from Radio Shack?

Thanks again.

Posted Sat 24 May 08 @ 3:53 am
jimmy bPRO InfinityMember since 2007

Try the link above, I've added something

Posted Sat 24 May 08 @ 3:54 am
Very Kool!!

Thank You so Much.

Posted Sat 24 May 08 @ 3:57 am
I've seen this problem with the Behringer BCD too, in the end the guys just did their set off battery power (risky!).

If the ground loop isolator doesn't help, try earthing the Hercules to the chassis of your computer.

The back plate of the Hercules MK2 is metal and is earthed to all the internal components and all the connectors. You can connect an earth lead the the earth posts on the back of the Herc, although finding somewhere to connect the other end to on your laptop could be a problem, maybe try the heat sink or something.

I always thought USB ports were earthed, but maybe not. Do you get the noise with all the USB ports?

Good luck!

Posted Mon 26 May 08 @ 5:32 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)