Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Cue not working

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I've opened a ticket on this issue, but have not gotten a response for three days so I'm putting this out there:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cue not working, no matter what config. I still hear both turntables in master.

Laptop:
Asus C2D / 2.2Ghz / 2.5GB
Windows XP Pro

Sound:
Built-in RealTek
USB SB Live 24

Config:
Inputs - None
Output - Headphones
Sound - 2 Cards

Have tried every combination of Master, First and Second card.

Also have done an extensive search on the forums. Many of the messages state that this topic has been discussed, but give no links to those messages or even suggested search terms. Very unhelpful.

Hopefully someone else can help me move forward.
Thanks,
- Paul

Posted Thu 22 May 08 @ 3:05 pm
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Is your headphone slider set to mix or cue on the top of the skin?

Posted Thu 22 May 08 @ 4:38 pm
The Cue / Mix slider appears to function properly in the headphones, but even in Cue the output is still going to the master speakers.

Posted Thu 29 May 08 @ 10:41 pm
I know this may seem obvious but is there still an issue when using the "Internal Mixer" skin with the cue deck fader right down?

Posted Fri 30 May 08 @ 9:03 am
Ha- Nothing is obvious to me at the moment... having trouble transforming my skills to the virtual!

Is there any way to cue in the Basic skin? The turntables get so much smaller in Internal Mixer mode.

And how do you accomplish tasks that would normally take two hands, like starting a deck and working a fader?

Thanks!
- Paul

Posted Sat 31 May 08 @ 12:20 am
Ideally you really need a usb controller, then you can monitor more on that and use a simpler skin. Then it is alot easier to do things with two hands.

There are a few listed herre...
http://www.virtualdj.com/products/hardware.html
...but that page is somewhat dated, there are a few others such as the TMX, Torq Exponent, VCI-100 etc that are also worth a look.

I myself use the Total Control. It's good and has everything to control deck A and deck B with a mixer in the middle all in one unit. You might want to look at ones with touch sensitive jog wheels such as the Torq Exponent as then it allows you to release the record when cueing much like real vinyl.

For now though you could set up anything you have to hand to allow you to do more at once. Your keyboard, any video game controllers you may have via plugins etc. For example your left hand could press a key you have assigned to start the deck on the keyboard and the right to fade up with the mouse.

You will struggle to mix without an internal mixer until you get a controller or run off a real mixer. However there are skins that make better use of the space. You might want to try the "Old Skool" skin. It has huge wheels which would be good for mouse and keyboard use.
http://www.virtualdj.com/addons/skin.html?id=2589
Try all four to see which best matches your screen resolution.

Posted Sat 31 May 08 @ 3:39 am
Hey Dave, great post!

That Total Control unit does look nice. However since this is not a money-making venture for me at the moment, I'm not quite ready to purchase another item. [As it is I'm discouraged that I spent $300.00 on VirtualDJ and technical support has been virtually silent.] In addition my laptop produces a prohibitive buzz when connected to AC, meaning it may not work for me long-term.

Your suggestion to use keyboard shortcuts, mouse, etc. is very relevant, as I've been using the built-in touch pad, which by itself sometimes takes two hands to operate.

I love the size of the Old Skool turntables, but alas miss some of the features of the other skins, in particular: time remaining, the extended waveforms, and the headphone volume. If you know of one that incorporates these items let me know, otherwise I may stick with the Internal Mixer. Can I remove skins once installed?

Thanks again for all your help!
- Paul

Posted Wed 04 Jun 08 @ 12:07 am
Cool glad to help.

You can manually remove skins from...
My Documents / VirtualDJ / Skins

This skin with the "EQ" button clicked to reveal the equaliser may be what you are looking for.
http://www.virtualdj.com/addons/skin.html?id=1517

I had the problem with the AC also, you need one of these. Solved it perfectly.
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?criteria=ground%20loop%20isolator&source=15&SD=Y
Thats the very same i use there is a maplins in my town. When out at night noticed that many other Laptop DJs use these also.

Posted Thu 05 Jun 08 @ 8:56 am
taylaPRO InfinityMember since 2007
no wonder you find it difficult at least buy yourself a usb mouse, it's a lot easier to manipulate the functions...

Posted Thu 05 Jun 08 @ 10:43 am
Thanks for the suggestions guys!

I will try out the ground loop isolator [didn't realize it would be effective with an external sound card] and the external mouse. I was trying to keep things simple and compact, but maybe this is an unrealistic expectation.

Also the Default Pro skin is a great balance for me, now I just need some sunglasses for the neon color scheme! ; )

Posted Tue 10 Jun 08 @ 12:56 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)