Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Database Transfer Desktop 4.3 - Laptop 5.0.7

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

OK, I tried to get some help with transferring a database from one machine running VDJ 4.3 to a new one running 5.0 before but that didn't work out at all so I continued running 4.3 on my old machine.
Now I really want to get this done.

How can I take my VDJ 4.3 database (music was on an internal drive) and transfer all my cue's etc. on to my new laptop which is running Vista and music is stored on an external drive now?

Also, is it the case that once I have got the database on the external drive it will also be compatible with MAC?

Previously someone told me you could install VDJ settings in the Public Documents folder to avoid having duplicates eg. for skins but this doesn't seem to work either.
I've been wanting to use V5 for ages but this has been holding me back, hope somebody can help out.

The database issue is my biggest priority.

Ross M.

Posted Wed 21 May 08 @ 12:59 pm
DJ-ALFPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2005
Hi
Simply transfer your "VirtualDJ database.xml" file from Virtual DJ folder to new location at My Documents>VirtualDJ.

Posted Thu 22 May 08 @ 11:01 am
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
The transfer happens Automatically after the install and at first run of version 5.

If you want to make sure you still have 4.x available after the install of version 5, simply rename the virtualdj.exe file to something like virtualdj4.exe - then create a shortcut to your desktop for that file.

Also, please read the Update Guide built for the installation of Version 5.

http://www.virtualdj.com/support/VDJ5-UserGuide_for_Updates.pdf

It is HIGHLY recommended that when you upgrade to version 5 that you have your system setup just like you were going to do a gig - all harddrives connected. This will help facilitate the upgrading of the version 4 data to the version 5 database. ** Please note the version 4 database is NEVER modified during the upgrade, it is simply read in order to build the version 5 database. And as always, it is recommended that you make a backup of the database - this is always a good idea even with the database only being read.

Also, another small note; when you launch version 5 for the first time - choose the Full Video skin so you can see the CPU meter. Do not make any changes or start opening things until the CPU settles down as creating the v5 database may take a little bit of time. If the splash screen sits and hangs during first launch - be patient - the database(s) are being built.

After all that is done - first thing you will want to do is go to the Config -> Browser tab and run a CHECK, CLEAN and FIX on each drive listed in the drop-down box.

When all is said an done, if you still have some issues -- let us know and we can help further.

Posted Thu 22 May 08 @ 4:09 pm
I maybe didn't make this clear before. I wasn't installing 5 on the same machine, so there was no VDJ database for it to read.

Ages ago I installed 5 on one of my test rigs that I make most of my cue points on, but then I continued to work in 4.3. All info was being saved in the 4.3 database, but even after reinstall, 5 wouldn't update the database.
Since then I have started setting up a laptop for my mobile gigs where space is tight and I couldn't just copy my database to it as the music was now on an external drive.

I seem to have managed to change the opening lines in the 4.3 database, renamed it to 'local' on the external drive and scanned it in to the DB, it seems to be working now, but I have no doubt it will throw up errors soon enough.
It would be nice if there was a facility within the config panel to 're-import' an old database file for version 5.0, maybe even from and old backup point of view.

As I said, it seems to be working now.

Ross M

Posted Fri 23 May 08 @ 5:54 am
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Glad to see you have it work. And, you are right - trying to go onto a NEW setup with V5 and bring your prior version database is not a process built into v5. The method you chose is currently the only method available for making such a transition.

Posted Fri 23 May 08 @ 6:54 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)