Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: First gig with Hercules DJ Console RMX

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Had my first gig using this new bit of kit at the weekend and on the whole was hugely impressed.

You really cant tell what a piece of equipment is really up to by using it at home so I was a little bit apprehensive when using it for a pretty important gig at the weekend for a Club in London. I had the console setup using the supplied DJC version of Virtual DJ5 for Mac and found it to be more than adequate for what i needed (mostly electro/ indie electro), it matched up the beat well, the loops worked perfectly, the EQ's and pitch faders / volume faders worked well. I didnt use the crossfader as it has a really loose feel to it and i prefer to have the control over the mix more by using the two seperate volume faders.

The Setup:

The club already had a really good twin cd, twin vinyl setup running through a 6 channel mixer (2 crossfaders with 3 inputs on each though unfortunately) so what I had to do was to connect the RMX as an input on one of the faders, now I know that you can connect turntables etc to the RMX but because other dj's were playing that night with me it was easier to simply connect the rmx as a channel and then simply disconnect and move out of the way when i was done.
I found that the sound quality coming from the RMX was just as good as that coming from either the CD decks or vinyl decks through the master mixer.

I also had no freezes at all.

Problems:

The only problem i had was that once a song had been beat matched to the other deck and faded across (so that the second song only is playing) i cudnt manually bring down the tempo with the pitch fader. I wanted to slowly bring the pitch down (carefully done and the crowd arent any the wiser) to make it closer to my next track but the software wudnt allow it.

Also be carefull of the volume sliders, occasionally, and i mean very occasionally as it only happened once, the position of the fader on the console wont match up with whats on screen and you have to move it to sync them back up. this meant i though i was putting the volume up a touch, but the software pushed it right up for a split second before bringing it down to the correct position. It didn't ruin the mix but i certainly scared me a bit!

thats about it really, plenty of people have posted about the qulaity feel etc so i wont bore u with that, just wanted to let you know how it went for me using the console in practice.

Posted Tue 13 May 08 @ 3:29 am
taylaPRO InfinityMember since 2007
neil on loading up do a dry run with your sliders etc just to make sure they have synced up with vdj it may help, the crossfader is made like that for ease of use for scratch mixers

your lucky i'm still getting pops and stutters with mine and i've tried just about all of them on the list, i just put it back in the box after a few tunes, looks like i may be one of the unlucky ones with the rmx, pity....

Posted Tue 13 May 08 @ 6:08 am
neil why don't you register it in your profile...

Posted Tue 13 May 08 @ 6:11 am
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
tayla wrote :
neil why don't you register it in your profile...

Tayla it is registered - look below his name -- Home Edition User

We just don't have a graphic up for the RMX yet. Will be coming soon.

Posted Tue 13 May 08 @ 8:31 am
I wondered why it didn't come up!

as for the comment about the crossfader, I understand that scratching requires lateral ease of movement, and an 'unrestricted feel', and i agree that the RMX has this, but it is the looseness of the actual slider, it seems to wobble on the runner, and just dusnt have a sharp feel to it...

but anyway, im an electro dj, rarely scratch, and to be honest i think we all know that scratching with a midi controller isnt the real thing!

for the type of djing i do i am massively impressed. do you know if you can set it up to do an auto length loop, so say a 4 bar loop? just by pressing one button , rather then hitting loop in then loop out?

any comments from other people with the console are more than welcome!!!!

Posted Tue 13 May 08 @ 9:58 am
the reason i mentioned it was i couldn't see the graphic by his name and thought as it didn't show next to mine it may be the same as the envelope and smiley you can't see it next to your own name, thought i was just helping him out thats all. would have thought the graphic would have been in place then by now with vdj being in collaboration with hercules for this amount of time.

neil that was the first thing i pointed out when i got the unit would have preferred to have the crossfader like the rest of the sliders but that is my own preference for my style of mixing also..

Posted Tue 13 May 08 @ 12:55 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)