Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Help me wisely spend (up to) $2000 (U.S.)

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I'm looking for recommendations for a new laptop that I'd like to purchase for VDJ - specific brand(s), models, and even retailer(s) are what I'm interested in. I'm using 5.0.7, and want this rig to effortlessly run the full video capabilities of VDJ - I want to be able to GO NUTS with the software and have no issues, audio or video. I have used the Numark DMC controller, and the Hercules controllers, and will continue to do so. I've looked at Alienware, but it looks like I'd be paying a premium for the name and the style (plus I could easily get closer to $3k to get something really good). I've looked at GenX and Sager machines as well. Macbook Pro is on my list, even though I envision using it only with Windows, and again I'm closer to $3k with one. Anyone have experience with Sager, GenX, or using VDJ for Windows (video) on a Macbook Pro? Many gamer laptops seem to be ODM and/or OEM by Clevo. Can I purchase Clevo directly and save? Do I even need to be looking at gamer laptops?

Do I want to be on Vista or stay with XP?

Here (in no order), other than what I've already noted, are my priorities:

I prefer a 15" screen versus something larger. I don't need the size, and would prefer to keep the weight down.
I'm seeing machines with 250 and 320 Gig Sata drives. I want that. How signficant is the difference between 5400 and 7200 RPM?

I searched some threads on this topic, but some of them go back to 2006, and I'm sure that the "best choice" changes, regularly.

What would you recommend I purchase, and why?

Thank you!

Steve

Posted Sat 10 May 08 @ 7:39 pm
DJ-ALFPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2005
Here goes:
1. For Video use Vista
2.If you can, get the model with 2 Sata HDD's on 7200RPM (Raid, 2 hard disks works as one). (Difference is significant as 7200 is faster).
3.Get the model with ATI graphics card as VDJ is working better on ATI in laptops.
Every brand has this models, I suggest IBM Lenovo, Toshiba or MSI (MSI only gives 2 years warranty).
Hope this helps.

Posted Sun 11 May 08 @ 7:26 am
Thanks Alf!

I haven't been able to find IBM Lenovo or Toshiba laptops with ATI cards, at all, in the U.S. There seem to be 3 Toshiba models with ATI cards, but they appear to only be available in Europe. Plus, the Toshibas max out at 160 Gig hard drives (and may be 5400). Even the Macbook Pro, and Alienware have NVDIA cards. Any other or further recommendations?

Posted Sun 11 May 08 @ 7:12 pm
kkorposPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Go to newegg.com and look at the Asus brand computer - they have ATI cards available, and they are a great buy for your money. You only have to spend $1500 and you will get a killer notebook.

I also asked the question about hard drive speeds a month or so back as I have ALWAYS used a 7200 rpm drive. Mind you, this is for audio only, not video. Anyway, ended up getting a 500gb 5400 rpm internal drive on my Asus and it's amazing. I don't notice a difference in speed at all. Again, this is audio, as I don't mix video's yet.

Posted Mon 12 May 08 @ 10:02 am
Also try www.pricewatch.com for some good deals.....

Posted Mon 12 May 08 @ 10:21 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)