Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Music discussion

Topic: Harmonic mixing and beat matching

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

MrtimPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Just when you think it can't get more complicated(and cool), I hear about Harmonic mixing. One question I have yet to see answered....

So you pick your songs based on key but what happens when you screw that plan by moving from 120bpm to 123bpm. You not only change the speed but also the key unless you use a plug-in to change the tempo w/o changing the key?

What am I missing?

Posted Fri 09 May 08 @ 9:33 am
Paz75PRO InfinityMember since 2006
unless you quite drastically change the speed of a track (w/o keylock) you are only changing the semitone which a smaller increment within a key. it largely depends on the style of music you play. my experience in house music, you only need to use keylock when you are picking two tracks that have fundamentally different keys to begin with and are heavy with harmony. most electronic music these days is about simple melody and most often work together.

you can also subjugate the problem by waiting long enough to mix (w/o keylock) when the track is dropping down to a simple rhythm structure.

Posted Fri 09 May 08 @ 11:15 pm
YOU SHOULD DOWNLOAD SOFTWARE CALLED "MIXEDINKEY" THIS WILL LET YOU YOU MIX PROPERLY, IT WILL ASSESS THE CORRECT KEY THE TRACK IS PLAYED IN AND WRITE IT INTO THE TARCK NAME FOR YOU, I USE AND IT DOES WORK FOR ME WITH GREAT RESULTS, EASY TO USE

Posted Wed 18 Jun 08 @ 8:26 pm
PFD50PRO InfinityMember since 2007
V5.1 has the addition of a key reader.

Posted Fri 20 Jun 08 @ 4:25 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)