Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: External Hard Drive, Total Melt Down, All Files Lost

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

taylaPRO InfinityMember since 2007
well guys i wonder if you can help with the predicament i am now facing, the story so far.... i will try and keep it as brief and concise as i can

for the last two weeks i've had little niggles with my external hard drive and decided to make a back up of all files in the folder "musicdump" friday past, then gave the hard drive to a friend to do some work on it, sunday night came twenty minutes before leaving for gig and the original e/hd completely died, telephoned the gig explained what happened and they were cool about me arriving late after an eighty mile round trip to pick up the other e/hd

heres the sucker punch between the friday and sunday evening he moved everything into seperate folders ie 70s 80s etc, now when i got to the gig vdj did not recognise any file and subsequently i have lost all file information for each tune that was catalogued in vdj, but still retain tag information for any file that was done in mixmeister, is there any way i can get this information back on screen with out going through the process of having to rewrite all of this stuff back into vdj

thanks in anticipation...

Posted Wed 07 May 08 @ 12:26 pm
Tear Em 'UpPRO InfinitySenior ModeratorMember since 2006
The .xml data has changed...you can load the Key data and the tags..but your BPMs are all lost....sorry Tayla.

Posted Wed 07 May 08 @ 12:51 pm
jimmy bPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Nightmare Tayla,

Terry is right, you can reload the tags and key data again, but as for your BPM's and times's you will have to re-scan them.

I don't know if you know this but to reload your tags you can do this.

Click on first track (handling down the shift Key) in your folder once highlighted Shift, Ctrl, A at the same time and it will highlight all your files.

Then Right click>File into>Reload tag.

To get your BPM's do the same thing but choose BPM.

Posted Wed 07 May 08 @ 1:14 pm
thanks guys, so far, tried to reload tags, ie genre, year and album (which i use for month of year) but having no joy, any other advice please...

i'm not worried about having to re scan for time and bpm as i can re adjust them at a later date, its putting all that information back in the genre etc that is gonna take months to do

Posted Wed 07 May 08 @ 1:58 pm
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Tayla - how big is the VirtualDJ Database.xml file ? Was there a copy of it made ? Look in the Root folder of the drive ? I hope he copied that file when the back up was made?

Posted Wed 07 May 08 @ 4:32 pm
hi cstoll, went into lappy > docs > vdj > virtualdj database v5 07/05/2008 XML Doc > 2,689kb, i think i may be out of luck on the e/hd though, is it not possible to use the one left on the lappy ?

any system i can use to open up the damaged e/hd something on the lines of what the authority's use to retrieve data, tried taking drive out of external and booting it up in pc but no go

thanks for helping, any thing else i could try, think i've got an awful lot of typing to do... bugger

Posted Wed 07 May 08 @ 6:34 pm
this is an external drive right ? Look in the root of the external drive .

Posted Wed 07 May 08 @ 6:57 pm
tayla wrote :

think i've got an awful lot of typing to do... bugger

Been there, done that mate, it's not good :(

BTW Paul, can you remember posting about a light on your H/drive, could that have been a possible warning?

Posted Wed 07 May 08 @ 6:58 pm
@jimmy, thats exactly what i was thinking mate...

@cstoll, can't find xml on copied e/hd but is the one in docs/vdj on the lappy of any use for our needs

Posted Wed 07 May 08 @ 7:57 pm
tayla wrote :
@cstoll, can't find xml on copied e/hd but is the one in docs/vdj on the lappy of any use for our needs

Nope, all external drive info is stored on the external drive in the root of the drive.

And, if you want my help -- you need to be nice to me in other threads !!! -- The problem is I am direct and straight to the point, people take that as mean or mad. Neither is the case and both far from the truth. There are enough 'fun' and 'joking' characters in these forums - don't need another but all do need someone who will take things and attempt to make things happen. So, be nice or I will cut off your access.

Posted Wed 07 May 08 @ 8:35 pm
Chris, I think that post you are referring to, by Tayla was a surpose to be taken as a joke (English humour). We have a similar sense of humour

I can see, it could have been taken wrongly, but again it was intended as a joke.

Posted Wed 07 May 08 @ 10:01 pm
cstoll

actually i was been sarcastic to the numb nut in that particular thread who was complaining about bugs in 5.7 but hadn't pointed any out to you so you could help in rectifying any problems he was having, that's were you get the mind reading comment from.

as for me in life, i will always offer help and assistance to anyone where i can and expect no reward or sub serviancy from anyone in return for said help, its the way i am, but i am a stubborn git who epitomises the saying "will cut his nose off to spite his face" and sod the cost, as many a person who knows me will testify.

its just a pity VDJ hasn't so far implemented suggestions from myself and any others who may have mentioned it to take on board what automatically happens in MIXMEISTER in that it will "update music files on your hard drive with catalogue settings". for those in the community that don't understand, it simply means, "whatever we put in our browser settings will never go missing and stays with the file wherever its placed" (it tags your file) so lets hope some point in the future VDJ in its evolution to perfection will grasp this and take it on board and save you, me and know doubt many others time spent on trying to rectify similar problems like this in the future, whether it be one or two files or a complete hard drive.

advice to others, whatever you want to show in your browser settings first do it in mixmeister than import them into vdj, luckily a lot of my files were done this way over the last few years and a good percentage of my tags have been saved i will of course be following my own advice in the future or until vdj follows suit with mixmeister and a few other programmes.

you can pick up a full working trial version of mixmeister that never ends for the above purposes at http://dl4.mixmeister.com/pro6demo/pro6wbe.exe (link courtesy of norway from another thread concerning a different topic) while your doing that i'm off brushing up on my typing skills

Posted Thu 08 May 08 @ 4:18 am
ROFL - Glad you both proved my point for me.

Sometimes people need to look past the beginning and end and see what is in the middle. I clearly explained why I am always miss read in between the first and last statements -- and it was still taken as a slam.

Sorry if you read it that way -- it was suppose to be taken as a small chuckle if not at least a smile.

Oh well, guess I need to pull out the apology stick ....

Sorry for hi-jacking your thread tayla - any luck with that drive ?

Posted Thu 08 May 08 @ 5:42 am
nope, its pickled, you wouldn't to happen to know anyone in police forensics do you, they soon find missing data lol, just a pity theres not a work around with the file on my lappy, actually i'm busy scanning everything in mixmeister at the moment then will be adding those missing genre fields etc before importing them into vdj, could you jog my memory please, am i right i will lose the bpm's from mixmeister once i import the files into vdj or is there a way to save them once i start anaylising the files and just have the file read if you understand what i'm trying to explain...

out of curiosity will or is it on the to do list for vdj to implement something similar to what mixmeister has, would be nice if it was...

cheers

Posted Thu 08 May 08 @ 6:22 am
Sorry, don't know anyone in forensics.

Yes, when you analyze the tracks in VDJ they will be adjusted. But you can then use the Reload Tags to pull the BPMs in from your tags.

As I mentioned in another thread discussing 'Writing Tags' for video (MP4) files. It's something that we have heard the requests for and understand the importance of such feature. When or what version might something be implemented - don't know. But we have heard the requests.

Posted Thu 08 May 08 @ 12:06 pm
i've high lighted files, selected file infos > selected reload tag but no tags are showing up, but i know tag information is there and is showing in the normal file infos any advice guys...

Posted Fri 09 May 08 @ 1:16 pm
Have you added all the files to database, Covig>browser. Or Right click on the drive (Local Disc) in the tree and add to database, or you could scan for tags there.

Posted Fri 09 May 08 @ 1:39 pm
cheers jimmy, forgot to check in the browser settings id tags for some reason hadn't been enabled, at least tonight i will have an idea what i'm gonna play lol,..... thanks pal

Posted Sat 10 May 08 @ 9:33 am
I don't oppose adding that file-altering thing as option (or keeping the current system as option and making the other the default), however my person preference though is to keep files intact (no tags added inside them etc) and would refuse to use a program that goes and makes changes to files. The problem with the xml store currently is that users may not be enough aware of it that they need to back it up as well if not doing a full drive copy. Technically you could also store the xml data in ntfs alternate streams and it would be handled 'nicely' - until the part where the user copies the file to non-ntfs drive and the data is lost. The current xml in the drive root is a decent compromise between keeping files unmolested and having visibility to where the vdj metadata is kept.

Posted Tue 13 May 08 @ 2:20 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)