Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: PLEASE HELP: Behringer DDM4000 midi mixer & VirtualDJ/Numark CUE

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Everything I need is working EXCEPT for PFL on ANY selected line. When I move the crossfader all the way over to the opposite side, the main audio AND visuals react the way they're supposed to, BUT it cuts the PFL capability on the line I just mixed out of. So currently there is no way to load a track back on to the line I just mixed out of and enable PFL in order to cue up the next track.

The DDM4000 is a VERY promising mixer at only $400 considering that the next lowest priced like-product is the Ecler NU04 at more than twice the price ($830).

Here is the product page: http://www.behringer.com/DDM4000/index.cfm?lang=ENG

It is an all digital mixer with 5 channels, 32-bit sampler, FX (with dual FX assignable to any 1 channel simultaneously), true midi out (but there are low priced midi-to-USB converter cables like the HOSA USM-422 and m-audio UNO you can purchase to interface with your computer), and all optical faders. The main crossfader can be replaced with any P&G, ProXFade, or Infineon crossfader as well. However, the crossfader it ships with is pretty damn good as is. Visual and audio responsiveness is EXCELLENT for mixing and scratching (especially higher end scratching) and is SOOOO much better than ANY plasticy midi controller/mixer.

Still waiting on Hercules Remix feedback and/or hands on testing, but for only $50 more for the DDM4000 ($349 vs. $399 respectively), a LOT of dj's/turntablists/visual turntablists will choose this option instead. IMO, the only people that would go with the Hercules Remix over the DDM4000 are the ones that want to be able to ONLY use a controller on occasion (or all the time) and simply don't want to deal with either cd/dvd players and/or turntables.

It ships with Traktor LE and the install CD cover says that it "seamlessly integrates with DDM4000". I installed the Traktor demo just to make sure everything works, and it is a very simple process since there are Traktor "TKS" settings dedicated to the DDM400 that can easily be loaded, but still, no PFL capability.

I know the "MIDI CC" send/receive parameters for PFL functionality on this mixer (63=line 1, 73=line 2, 83=line 3, 93=line 4), but there is no way to "autolearn" this in VirtualDJ and I have NO idea how to manually enter those parameters or where - I tried: config/remote control/General MIDI - but what do I do from there?!.

This PFL ordeal is the ONLY OUTSTANDING ESSENTIAL ISSUE to be able to start confidently recommending the $400 DDM4000 with the $500 Virtual Vinyl package as a sub-$1000 investment that allows visual mixing (and much more, of course), especially here in the U.S., as opposed to the $1600 Rane Serato investment people need to make into a $1400 TTM-57 plus the $200 visual plug-in... just to be able to do less. =P

Let's get this word out ASAP, so again, PLEASE HELP! ;)

- VT ConQuest
(Visual Turntablist)

Posted Sat 03 May 08 @ 5:41 pm
So the problem is NOT the PFL, Auto headphone selection in the config menu, or even anything to do with the headphones at all.

The reason I can't hear anything is because there is nothing there to listen to!

We need to figure out how to keep the crossfader from killing the audio input on the opposite side so that there is a signal to be heard.

Posted Sat 03 May 08 @ 7:07 pm
How do you have the soundcard config'd?

is it a 3 channel external mixer setup?
2 channel external mixer?

or are you using the internal mixer ?

Posted Sat 03 May 08 @ 9:26 pm
Hi,

I dont know if you saw my thread ConQuest, But i also bought the DDM4000, and got it a couple of weeks back. Did you checked the crossfader setup menu under the setup config menu?

I belive you have two options, Xfader and Kill. i know by default it goes to Kill, set it up on the Xfader option and see what happens, i would try it myself now, but i have family at home, so i cannot connect everything right now.

I have also been wondering what is the right approach for setting up the midi commands.

I am not as esperienced as you on Djing, but so far i ilke the mixer a lot.

Hope the advice works.

Mindtwister3d

Posted Sun 04 May 08 @ 12:46 am
mindtwister3d wrote :
I belive you have two options, Xfader and Kill. i know by default it goes to Kill, set it up on the Xfader option and see what happens,

I've tried both of these options twister. Neither of them have any effect on this issue.

mindtwister3d wrote :
I have also been wondering what is the right approach for setting up the midi commands.

Setting up midi commands on the mixer, or in VDJ/CUE?

On the mixer, just press and hold down the "console set-up" knob for 2 seconds and wait for the menu options to show up on the LED display. Then use that same knob to scroll down to "midi settings", press the knob, scroll down 3 steps to "crossfader", and then press the knob one last time to place an [x] next to crossfader.

That's it.

Someone at Behringer told me to go further into the menu on the right side and use the next knob over from the console set-up knob (further to the right as well) and place an [X] on both line 1 and line 2, as well as [X] on the mute options for each of those lines as well, but I found these extra steps to be completely unnecessary.

As soon as you select [x] next to crossfader, you're audio & visual signals are linked in VirtualDJ/Numark CUE.

Now if we can just get thais darn crossfader cutting off the opposite sides' input signal issue taken care of, this will be a GREAT option for SO many dj's and audio/visual turntablists...

mindtwister3d wrote :
I am not as esperienced as you on Djing, but so far i ilke the mixer a lot.

This mixer rocks twister. No doubt about it. ;)

We just have this ONE major outstanding issue to resolve, and then people will flock to the DDM4000 (as well as the Hercules Remix ... 2 somewhat different demographics though) given it's abundant amount of features, benefits, AND quality at such a low price point.

Granted, Behringer has that "cheap" reputation in the dj artist community, but IMO the DDM4000 will be the mixer that breaks that stereotype for them in this market as this is not a cheap product, rather it's a low priced/quality product.

Posted Sun 04 May 08 @ 6:56 am
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Disable the audio crossfader in VDJ - Config -> Options -> second item first column - set to disabled.

Posted Sun 04 May 08 @ 8:48 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)