Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Database Files

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Pleasae help me understand the difference in the following two files oin version 5.07

VirtualDJ Database v5.xml - what is its fuction and does it get created ?
Should this file be backed up and when ?

VirtualDJ Database.xml - I understand this is where the path to file, ID3 tag info is stored
Should this file be backed up and when ?
If I replace all of my MP3 files and delete the VirtualDJ Database.xml file how do I
get it recreated ?

Any help would be appreciated - Thanks

Posted Tue 29 Apr 08 @ 11:18 am
djpr1PRO InfinityMember since 2008
I would like to know too......

Any Teamer out there?

Posted Wed 30 Apr 08 @ 1:03 pm
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
This information can be found in the Users Manual.

And, also available from the Guides & Tutorial page --

VirtualDJ 5 Features Guide
http://www.virtualdj.com/support/VDJ5-UserGuide_for_Updates.pdf

Both types of files are dynamically recreated if they do not exist.

The one (VirtualDJ Database v5.xml) found in the My Documents -> VirtualDJ folder is what I have called the Core DB file - in that it is created at first launch of VirtualDJ after install and is required at minimum for VirtualDJ to function. This file stores data about any files found on the primary O/S partition (typically C: drive)

All of the files perform the same role for storing information about each track. Whether that information comes from ID3 tags when gathered based on the appropriate settings being enabled or manually entered by the user. If a Read Only type media is used (CD ROM) then the necessary information about those tracks are stored in the Core DB (VirtualDJ Database v5.xml). The other VirtualDJ Local Database.xml is for only information pertaining to the tracks on that partition/drive and is found in the ROOT of the partition/drive. It is created when a track is first accessed (from a scan or loading to a deck) and the XML file does not already exist.

As to the frequency of back-up. That is your call based on how often you add/update information on a particular drive.

Posted Wed 30 Apr 08 @ 1:25 pm
Thanks Cstoll for the info, greatly appreciated.

DJPR1

Posted Wed 30 Apr 08 @ 2:04 pm
Thanks cstoll - information that you gave us is not quite as clear in the manual
But if I blow away the MP3 folder on the D drive along with the xml file and then copy a new MP3 folder
to the D drive what exact steps do I need to do thereafter - BPM analyzer ? highlight all and right click to run
the indexing ? not sure waht the steps should be to get the new xml file established on the root of D ?

Thanks

Posted Fri 02 May 08 @ 6:11 am
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
spencerl wrote :
Thanks cstoll - information that you gave us is not quite as clear in the manual

I wrote the manual and it is stated very much the same.

spencerl wrote :
But if I blow away the MP3 folder on the D drive along with the xml file and then copy a new MP3 folder
to the D drive what exact steps do I need to do thereafter - BPM analyzer ?

Well if you delete the content to include the XML file - then Yes, you start from scratch - Analyze your songs and Add them to the Search DB.

spencerl wrote :
highlight all and right click to run
the indexing ? not sure waht the steps should be to get the new xml file established on the root of D ?

Simply analyzing or adding to the Search DB will create the XML file.

Posted Fri 02 May 08 @ 8:54 am
Cstoll,
I had seen the VirtualDJ Database.xml somewhere before (in my documents virtualdj file i think), but yesterday i was curious and i could not find it anywhere.
Everything is working good, should i worry?
I use an external HD and could not find it there either. Hmmm?

DJPR1

Posted Fri 02 May 08 @ 10:28 am
Found it !!!! in my external hd. Thanks Teamers for not replying
It's funny how certain members in this forum will post anything, sometimes has nothing to do with the software and everybody jumps right on it.
I log in this forum everyday to share tips and to see if i can help anybody but i guess it's just me.

DJPR1

Posted Tue 06 May 08 @ 7:59 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)