Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Overheating... Causes, cures? - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

taylaPRO InfinityMember since 2007
hi guys need your help and guidance please, been using dedicated lappy for a year now with no problems but recently started to have overheating problems, now after one and a half hours playing vids the unit starts to overheat and the vids start to stutter and run slow but the audio plays fine,

i've done the obvious and gave the unit a spring clean, closed down plugins one by one to no effect, it still starts overheating at that one and a half hour mark, your input will be greatly appreciated... thanks

Posted Mon 28 Apr 08 @ 4:54 am
Probably the fans have stucked dust and they aren´t spining at full speed. If you have basic electronic's-skill you can open it to clean the fans (CPU FAN and if it have another if its there).

Posted Mon 28 Apr 08 @ 3:26 pm
thanks ricardo, did that yesterday and it still went to cooking a chicken after 1.5 hours...

Posted Mon 28 Apr 08 @ 3:43 pm
Weird. Just for be sure, Are you overclocking the CPU?

Other than that Im out of ideas :S

Posted Mon 28 Apr 08 @ 3:55 pm
Tear Em 'UpPRO InfinitySenior ModeratorMember since 2006
Can you feel any airflow at all Tayla??

Posted Mon 28 Apr 08 @ 4:01 pm
Same happened to me with my 1000 battles laptop... sadly the processor gave all it has to give and it have begun to die...

Solution 1: Change the processor if it is a relative new laptop.
Solution 2: Buy a new Laptop as I did and give the old one to your kids.

Posted Mon 28 Apr 08 @ 4:36 pm
@ricardo, no mate

@terry, yeah air flow def' feels its pushing it out

@mixmaker, if it's no' 1 this will be the second lappy in two years dying on me as soon as the main warranty runs out, what a bummer

thanks so far guys for your help, keep those suggestions coming if you have anymore....

Posted Tue 29 Apr 08 @ 4:57 am

Posted Tue 29 Apr 08 @ 9:05 am
jimmy bPRO InfinityMember since 2007

I Speaking to someone at work Tayla, and he said something about the heatsinks might of gone, (whatever that means).

I think it's worth taken it in to a shop where a tech guy can have a good look at it.

Posted Tue 29 Apr 08 @ 9:07 am

Posted Tue 29 Apr 08 @ 9:21 am

Cheer's Terry,

I've learnt something new today ;)

Posted Tue 29 Apr 08 @ 9:48 am
if i stood it in a bucket of water would that help disipate any excess heat lol... actually thanks for those suggestions guys keep them coming through

Posted Tue 29 Apr 08 @ 1:36 pm
well yesterday i finally got round to fixing this problem and for you guys that may be suffering the same, its such an easy fix in this instance and i can see why its easily overlooked, the problem with mine was the heatsink compound paste had "run" simple solution £2.50 syringe of heatsink compound a little dab on the processors and everything is sweet in the garden... thanks to all the guys who offered solutions

forgot to mention there had been none at all put on the graphics side originally

Posted Sat 31 May 08 @ 4:24 am
jimmy b wrote :

I Speaking to someone at work Tayla, and he said something about the heatsinks might of gone, (whatever that means).

So he was nearly right, lol.

Posted Sat 31 May 08 @ 7:47 am
basically because of the none excistence of the paste the h/sinks couldn't do there job properly... yeah so he was half way there

Posted Sat 31 May 08 @ 10:58 am

Was it easy to do, or did you have to rely on my favourite tool in the tool kit, the good old hammer, lol

Posted Sat 31 May 08 @ 11:14 am
jimmy b wrote :
or did you have to rely on my favourite tool in the tool kit, the good old hammer

No Jimmy, Tayla had MC Hammer come and fix it for him...seems to be the only way Hamma can make money..driving from house to house servicing PCs

Posted Sat 31 May 08 @ 11:22 am
quite easy jimmy, after taking the back case off undid six screws attaching the sinks over the processors dabbed the compound on and re attached and job's a good un'. last two nights been working sweet as a peach, no more video stuttering, i'm back to been a happy chappy... lol

have you seen how much hammer charges terry, no wonder he gave up the music, i told him he's not charging me something like that for something like this....

Posted Sun 01 Jun 08 @ 5:32 am
Cool, also are you sorted with the RMX now, or has it gone out of the window. lol.

Posted Sun 01 Jun 08 @ 5:36 am
it's still jumping and last night it did it when i had a few of the smart arses in, the bastards thought it was me making it jump and i got some vocal banter from them, the shits... lol

what was i gonna do, stop the music and say its this bloody controllers fault, hehe, hopefully the latest update will cure the problems...

Posted Sun 01 Jun 08 @ 6:26 am
91%