Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: 4200rpm

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

tygar2PRO InfinityMember since 2008
Hello

I need some advice. I found and bought a toshiba satellite P200-1FC laptop on special offer (£599) only to find written on the box that the 250GB hard drive is 4200rpm. Is that fast enough for video use? Its now sitting unopened in case I need to return it. Any advise will be appreciated.

SPEC
Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T7250
• (2.00 GHz, 800 MHz FSB, 2 MB Cache)
• Genuine Windows Vista (R) Home Premium
• 2 GB Memory
• 250 GB Hard Drive (4200rpm)
• 17″ Brightview
• DVD-SuperMulti Dual Layer Optical Drives
• ATI Radeon HD2600 Dedicated Graphics Card

Posted Sat 26 Apr 08 @ 3:46 pm
Tear Em 'UpPRO InfinitySenior ModeratorMember since 2006
Personally I would not use a 4200rpm drive for audio. But that is just me. Its not just hard drive speed, its more video card and video memory and system memory. Hope that helps.

Posted Sat 26 Apr 08 @ 4:13 pm
Hi, I think the only way to know would be to try it for yourself.

It's pretty much recommended to have your audio and video files on a separate hard drive to your operating system anyway, so if you used it with an external hard drive, then the speed of the internal drive wouldn't be such a big concern.

If it was me I'd just take it out the box and give it a go, but really the best thing would be to get in touch with the shop and explain the situation. Hopefully they'll tell you to give it a go, and if it doesn't work, bring it back for a refund.

If they're a bit funny with you though, then take it back.

Posted Sun 27 Apr 08 @ 8:42 am
Thanks Andy

Just been down to the shop and had a word. They were a bit funny about me the possibility of me returning it but agreed after I threatened to return it uponed. (It wasnt really an 'unopened' product anyway since I bought it exdisplay in the shop). Just purchased my virtual dj pro which has just finished downloading so here goes nothing!

Why is virtual dj seem such a gamble? May work with your computer or not, this works with some and doesnt with others.....Im stressed out! Hope it works.

Will be back to tell you all about it.

Posted Sun 27 Apr 08 @ 10:01 am
As I dreaded (expected?) It didnt work properly first time. Video freeze and lagging. Was kinda hoping to be one of the lucky few. Anyway, now to teaking and trying to find a solution.Disappointed.

Posted Sun 27 Apr 08 @ 12:27 pm
If you wish to keep that laptop and not take it back, you would probably get better performance if you Installed Windows XP on the system, the speed of the Hard Drive should be fine to play Video, its quite a powerful computer, CPU and Graphics card, including RAM which the video can be preloaded into.

However VISTA is alot hard hitting on your system than Windows XP in Graphics and Ram, if you have a spare copy of Windows XP, give it a go, thats of course if you don't want to take it back, as once you install another Operating system I doubt they will let you take it back at all.

Also normal most Laptops and Computers come with lots of addon's and "extras" when brought which can slow down the computer and consume CPU time and Ram, a fresh install of Windows Vista may even sort your problem's specially if it was a display counter laptop.

Good Luck, also make sure you install the newest Video Drivers from ATI, as they may have a old version, or even the basic windows generic drivers.

Good Luck,
Ashley

Posted Sun 27 Apr 08 @ 2:34 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)