Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Topic: Bring back two deck automix option

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

i really like the virtual dj software and realize that it is continually improving, but i would like to see the two deck automix option returned. i am sure the change was made for good reasons but it would really be nice to have it as an option for those that want to keep it the way it was. thank you.

Posted Wed 23 Apr 08 @ 5:14 pm
jimmy bPRO InfinityMember since 2007

Not this old chestnut again!!!!!!!!

Posted Fri 25 Apr 08 @ 9:02 am
JTVIRTUALDJ wrote :
i really like the virtual dj software and realize that it is continually improving, but i would like to see the two deck automix option returned. i am sure the change was made for good reasons but it would really be nice to have it as an option for those that want to keep it the way it was. thank you.

Seriously do a search of the forums, you will find that it is NOT gonna happen. If u use it the way it is u will see that it is actually better. Trust me.

Posted Sat 26 Apr 08 @ 3:26 am
jimmy bPRO InfinityMember since 2007
discobrian24 wrote :
JTVIRTUALDJ wrote :

Seriously do a search of the forums, you will find that it is NOT gonna happen. If u use it the way it is u will see that it is actually better. Trust me.

Yep have to agree with you Brian on this one.

Posted Sat 26 Apr 08 @ 3:45 am
I bought it with the 2 decks...

Can anyone please tell me the Version of the last "stable" 2 deck version... otherwise I'll just have to go back to Winamp... :(

Thank You! :(

Posted Sat 22 Nov 08 @ 4:24 am
JeremKPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
Last version with 2 decks automix was 4.3

Posted Sat 22 Nov 08 @ 5:38 am
Ah, someone with intelligence! He is 100% right. Two deck auto mix was 1000 times better than the bitcher job they have done to it. It takes virtual DJ away from it's original mission of emulating REAL life DJing with vinyl. Who in the world would want to have a song plastered in an invisible deck and you can't preview where it will start so you can know what the auto mix will sound like. You can set the cue points on it if you jump through 3 burning hoops and give up your unborn child. It's completely unstable too. Should have never been released. Version 5.whatever is full of flaws. It can't even load songs after a while. Especially if you use the soniques. If you claim it works flawless, you are one of the lucky ones. I tried it on 3 different computers and the same problems come up. All they had to do to improve 4.3 was to make it play mp4s. Period. They call the automix a trainwreck but apparently meant 5.X because it was not a train wreck. Everyone of my sets is ruined now by the end of the night when my club is busy because songs stop loading after it's on for a few hours. I am in the middle of one, need to mix out into next, but it's loading as fast as my dead grandmother crosses the street. So now my mix is ruined. You should slap the MP4 codec into 4.1 for the older people like me (I am 43) who have DJed a whole life and realize that it's a much better version. It wouldn't take that long to put in that codec so 4.X can play the video part of an MP4 as it already plays the audio if you load one. The whole idea of the single deck auto mix is not intuitive no matter how you try and sell people on it. You can tell the only reason they won't do it is to somehow make the stupid smart mix word so good you won't need DJs left in the world. You should really evaluate your original misson of creating this software, that was to help DJs play digital like they did using vinyl. And when you used vinyl you actually had to be a DJ and learn mixing and learn how to count a beat and learn how to make transitions on your own. Hence the skill of being a DJ..... wow :-)

Posted Wed 26 Nov 08 @ 12:30 pm
Apprently I can't type well on my laptop. Bitcher is supposed to be "butcher" and word towards the bottom is supposed to be "work". Had to correct that before I get blasted on my automix rave and rant. :) and my spelling :-)

Posted Wed 26 Nov 08 @ 12:49 pm
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
Totleben wrote :
Ah, someone with intelligence! He is 100% right.

The rest of us have intelligence too - it's a differing opinion, but it doesn't make us thick ;)

Totleben wrote :
Two deck auto mix was 1000 times better than the bitcher job they have done to it. It takes virtual DJ away from it's original mission of emulating REAL life DJing with vinyl. Who in the world would want to have a song plastered in an invisible deck and you can't preview where it will start so you can know what the auto mix will sound like.

I thought the whole point of automix was to let it run and not interfere. The benefit of a one deck automix is that you have another deck available for previewing and bringing in a track manually. It also means you don't need to worry about channel levels, crossfader positions etc...

Totleben wrote :
It's completely unstable too. Should have never been released. Version 5.whatever is full of flaws. It can't even load songs after a while. Especially if you use the soniques. If you claim it works flawless, you are one of the lucky ones. I tried it on 3 different computers and the same problems come up.

Lots of us lucky ones out there then :)

Totleben wrote :
All they had to do to improve 4.3 was to make it play mp4s. Period.

v4.3 could play mp4s AFAIK?

Totleben wrote :
Everyone of my sets is ruined now by the end of the night when my club is busy because songs stop loading after it's on for a few hours. I am in the middle of one, need to mix out into next, but it's loading as fast as my dead grandmother crosses the street. So now my mix is ruined.

I do recall having the same problem under 4.3, I fixed it, but I can't remember for the life of me how.

Totleben wrote :
You should slap the MP4 codec into 4.1 for the older people like me (I am 43) who have DJed a whole life and realize that it's a much better version. It wouldn't take that long to put in that codec so 4.X can play the video part of an MP4 as it already plays the audio if you load one.

Install a directshow codec that can play it (eg the CCCP pack) and point the file extension in the codec config window to use windows mediaplayer video decoder.

Totleben wrote :
The whole idea of the single deck auto mix is not intuitive no matter how you try and sell people on it. You can tell the only reason they won't do it is to somehow make the stupid smart mix word so good you won't need DJs left in the world. You should really evaluate your original misson of creating this software, that was to help DJs play digital like they did using vinyl. And when you used vinyl you actually had to be a DJ and learn mixing and learn how to count a beat and learn how to make transitions on your own. Hence the skill of being a DJ..... wow :-)

The only skill automix really requires is track selection. In fact your post makes no sense - you say the mission is to help DJs play digital like they did using vinyl - automix should be the antichrist!

Anyway, I never use it live - I've only used it to provide background music. Anyway, you can configure 4.3 to play your files, and go back to that. However you will need to upgrade to fix any problems and get new features, and the dev team have stated two-deck automix is not coming back ;)

Posted Wed 26 Nov 08 @ 3:11 pm
OK, the antichrist comment is accurate, I guess I can agree to that. I do understand about how you have the extra deck deal. But you can hit the automix button when automix mode is on or off and play into the next song exactly where you want much easier in the old dual deck mix. You can even hit the sync button while doing that. Worked great for drunken nights at the club djing :-) I don't know, it just seemed nicer to see both files and it was more stable for me. Now, after 3 hours of operation it keeps loading song super slow when you try and put a song in the deck or even when it's in auto mode. Plus the auto mix skips a lot when you use it in 5.2 when you double click song in playlist. Sigh.....:( I did try to make it play MP4s the way you stated, but it didn't work for me a year ago when I tried it. It just played the audio. :( Oh well, hopefully a next release of Virtual will be better for me and work on my computer. Thanks for the ideas tho. I know it sounds like I was raving, but it's just frustrating sometimes.

Posted Thu 27 Nov 08 @ 3:53 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)