Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: 2 Nights - 2 Crashes [SOLVED]

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

GaryBrPRO InfinityMember since 2006
I've had 2 crashes in 2 nights, both after VDJ running at least 3 hours with no problems.

I'm using Vista SP1 and the plug ins i'm using are Text2D & ScreenResizer.

I'm not getting any warning, VDJ is closing quicker than I could shut it down myself. (Normally when hitting the X in the top right corner to close, it pauses a second then closes, but its closing instantly when it crashes)

I'm not getting any smiley face. A crashguard report is being generated, but each time its completely blank.

Crashes I can handle and investigate patiently, instant shut downs are a no no.

One of the venues has also asked me to stop using VDJ because of this and go back to my traditional set up!

Any help?

Gary

Posted Sun 20 Apr 08 @ 5:54 am
Hi, would it be possible to try a night without using the plugins? Maybe there's some unknown bug in them. Or at least if there is a crash you know it must be the program. Hope you get it sorted.

Posted Sun 20 Apr 08 @ 6:11 am
That will be what I try Monday night and see how it goes.

Its the lack of crashguard & report that is really bothering me.

Posted Sun 20 Apr 08 @ 6:43 am
same problems here
i've been a very happy user for years, with no crashes at all
but in the last few weeks vdj let me down too many times

i'm using xp pro
optimized on a "vdj only" partition
like gary no warnings
it just shuts down
can't exactly remember, but i think all(or most) of the time in automix mode
in the middle of a song
if i restart vdj search database gets messed up
showing not even a 10th of my collection
have to reboot
database loses data for 20~30 songs

thought maybe time for a re-install
and was about to upgrade my harddrive anyway
bought new harddrive
new installation
same problems

no crashguards, nothing .........

don't know what to do

Posted Sun 20 Apr 08 @ 7:58 am
Tear Em 'UpPRO InfinitySenior ModeratorMember since 2006
If you guys could...try to recreate the situation...if you can recreate it opening a specific folder, changing a skin, whatever, it would help the Dev Team . Please give as much very specific information as you can.....

Posted Sun 20 Apr 08 @ 8:48 am
Ok, as far as recreating it goes, if I could I would simply stop doing whatever causes it to crash, but the problem is i'm doing nothing and it appears to be random.

There was no interaction between me & VDJ when it crashed. (I was in the toilet) All the info I can give is it was playing a video in manual mode with timecodes.

Because there is no smiley face and its an instant random shut-down, I've lost faith in it. I can't work like that, even having a back up system in place it could happen when I'm in the toilet again or getting a drink etc.

The stress it put me under last night in front of 1000 people was unbearable.

Are there any other reports of this happening that the dev team are looking into?

Gary

Posted Sun 20 Apr 08 @ 2:21 pm
Not too my knowledge Gary, that is one reason why I asked if you can recreate it....have you noticed it at any particular time duration? I.E. 3-4 hours in? Try to recall what circumstances led up to the crash.

Posted Sun 20 Apr 08 @ 2:49 pm
Well both times it was in the 3 - 4 hour region. Nothing happened prior to that, just mixing videos using 2 timecode CD's. Text2D was scrolling and screen resizer was activated, nothing else. Prior to the crash I would have loaded the song that was playing and so on. Just normal use.

Gary

Posted Sun 20 Apr 08 @ 2:58 pm
djcelPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
Text2D is still a beta version and it's clearly written !!!!!!!!

If you use a beta, you have to take into consideration the fact that it can crash so do not conclude too much that it's the software.
If a plugin crashes you can't get a crashguard report all the time because it's an external code.

Posted Sun 20 Apr 08 @ 4:42 pm
Yes, I understand about text2D still being a beta version. i have been using it since it was first released nearly every night of the week with no problems and always displaying the same text file. It seems a bit strange that its only just started crashing my system.

Who has inserted 'VIDEO PLUG IN' into my post? How do you know its a video plug in? I'm hoping we are going on more than guess work here?

Gary

Posted Sun 20 Apr 08 @ 6:30 pm
Gary the Text2d is a video plug in:)

Posted Sun 20 Apr 08 @ 8:18 pm
Yes, i know its a video plug in, but that hasn't been diagnosed as the problem yet! I've been using Text2d since it was released an never had a crash using it. I've had Vista Service Pack 1 installed for a couple of weeks and now I'm getting crashes.

Who can say its the video plug in?

Crash reports have been generated before when an external plug in has caused it, because I've read them being diagnosed in other posts, so if it is a video plug in, why no crash report for me (or crashguard?)

Gary

Posted Sun 20 Apr 08 @ 8:28 pm
I would hazard a guess that VSP1 changed something, a registry setting, a IRQ setting, something. And now it is causing a conflict. Have you considered running it without the pluggin? Seeing if the problem happens? I would start either there or, with a system restore to before SP1 was installed....just a thought....T

Posted Sun 20 Apr 08 @ 8:40 pm
I didnt put it there, but I am also with Terry on this one SP1 possibly changed somethin on ur PC and VDJ isnt likin it. I would say if it keeps happenin with no crashguard I personally would do a complete os reinstall without sp1 (thats just me), but hopefully you will end up gettin a crashguard sooner than later. Hang in there bro and hopefully the solution can be found:)

Posted Sun 20 Apr 08 @ 9:30 pm
Well I uninstalled & reinstalled VDJ last night. I kept SP1 on the machine and left it running over night. 8 hours on automix, video only with screen resizer & text2D plug ins running.

No problems and no crash.

I think SP1 may have made some changes, although I think on hindsight, and for anyone upgrading to SP1, its best to put VDJ on after upgrading to SP1, so that VDJ installs itself taking into account any windows changes from the update.

I will try the system live tonight, which puts a few more demands on it, and report back with my findings. I'm convinced its not a video plug in though.

Gary

Posted Mon 21 Apr 08 @ 10:21 am
Sweet man let us know:) Hope all works out well for ya tonite.

Posted Mon 21 Apr 08 @ 5:07 pm
Hey,

Yes, last night fine. I used screen resizer & text2D and no crash. I think the answer is in reinstalling VDJ after SP1 :)

Cheers Brian and everyone else :)

Gary

Posted Tue 22 Apr 08 @ 7:55 am
Good to hear Gary....glad you sorted it out...

Posted Tue 22 Apr 08 @ 10:26 am
Glad you got all workin:)

Posted Tue 22 Apr 08 @ 3:27 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)