Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: korg zero 4

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

marlouPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Hello fello dj's just after getting the korg zero 4 and its some piece of hardware my only problem is trying to que up deck 2 whilst deck 1 is playing and vysa versa. At the moment i can only mix useing the channals only thing is the cross fader has to be in the middle, can anybody help me please im sure its a small minor ajustment i have to config. thank you
Djmart

Posted Sat 19 Apr 08 @ 4:18 pm
Are you talking about the internal crossfader in vdj?? If so you can Disable it in Options.

Posted Sat 19 Apr 08 @ 5:55 pm
No the crossfader is fine all settings for control of the internal mixer match my external mixer (ie bass mid high cd decks 1 + 2 and crossfader). When the zero 4 is in midi mode i cant config the channels properly in order to cue up the next song theres no sound through the headphones on the external mixer, On most mixers u sellect what channel you want to listen to on ur headphones, in this case i cannot. Now if i change the zero 4 to midi+stero i can use the cue buttins on the external mixer to listen on my hedphones but the cross fader needs to be in the middle at all times. Is there anyother way of doing this i really need to be able to use the crossfader when mixing
Thanx for your responce discobrian24
Djmart

Posted Sun 20 Apr 08 @ 1:35 pm
I don't have an answer for ya sorry:) But maybe someone else will come along that has this mixer.

Posted Sun 20 Apr 08 @ 4:59 pm
I always use it in midi+stereo (I dont like using the internal software mixing) so havent had this issue but I'll check it out tonight after work and let you know. It might be just some simple midi assigning to fix it.

Posted Mon 21 Apr 08 @ 9:16 pm
Thats great assault thanx for your help ive no problem useing midi+stereo when im in the club its just that when im on vdj radio or recording a mix thats when id need to be able to use the internal mixer. thanx again
Djmart

Posted Tue 22 Apr 08 @ 5:11 am
O.k. I had a play around with it tonight and I see what you mean. The whole unit turns into midi so your channel cue buttons to send to the headphones no longer send to the headphones, they are just another midi button. I'm not sure what you were saying about the crossfader though.

Did a little investigation and it seems that there's a few people complaining about the way that works because everyone loses control of the headphone output when on midi. Basically I think they mainly intended midi mode for use with ableton where you have a seperate channel for your headphone cue. unfortunately VDJ doesnt have good sound card options so that makes having a seperate channel for headphones a bit difficult.

Now I played around for a while and ran into some really interesting situations but came up with a couple of ideas.

1. you can switch back to Audio+Midi select the channel cue button then switch back to midi.

Drawbacks are: this makes a slight click/gap in the audio when you switch it. So probably not much use unless it was in a club etc.

2. Set up a seperate channel for headphone by doing the following:
Change your sound setup from 2 or 3 channel mixer to Headphone.
Then channel 2 on the zero4 will become the PFL/Headphone channel for which ever channel you're working with in VDJ so set this to Audio+Midi and click on the cue button so it comes through your headphones.
Then Channel 1 on the zero4 will be like a master then you set channels 1 and channel 3 to Midi and assign the faders and knobs to control each deck on VDJ.

Drawbacks are: It uses 3 channels of the mixer. You will also need to midi assign a knob for gain on each channel as you no longer have individual gain control of each channel. You dont get individual channel LED level readout for each channel and you wont be able to runthe Zero4 FX on the individual channels only the master mix.

3. Use Channels 1 and 2 on the zero 4 as Audio+Midi then use channels 3 and 4 on midi to do any additional midi controlling.

Drawbacks are: Obviously it uses all 4 channels.

I havent been able to find a suitable way around this problem yet and I think either Atomix could change the soundcard options of VDJ to give us more control and have an option to send headphones to another output while using external mixer mode or Korg need to change the zero 4 cue button to not change to a midi button when in midi mode.

I think personally the later would be teh best but I would like both to happen anyway, I think the sound setup options in VDJ are VERY bad and limit the softwares usage quite considerably.

I'll keep looking though and see what I can find for you.

Posted Wed 23 Apr 08 @ 8:52 am
Also the Zero4 is a digital software based mixer so all it would take is a firmware change to make the cue button only ever operate as a cue button and not change to a midi button when the mode is Midi.

I think they will end up changing it though, there's alot of people running other dj software that want it changed too.

Posted Wed 23 Apr 08 @ 9:02 am
marlou wrote :
Now if i change the zero 4 to midi+stero i can use the cue buttins on the external mixer to listen on my hedphones but the cross fader needs to be in the middle at all times. Is there any other way of doing this i really need to be able to use the crossfader when mixing
Thanx for your responce discobrian24
Djmart

If you are using Audio+Midi then remove the midi control of the crossfader in VDJ and press the "A" button on channel 1 of the Zero4 and "B" button on channel 2 of the Zero4 to select either side of the crossfader and use the Zero4 for crossfading not VDJ. That way you'll be able to hear the individual channels in the headphones when you press the cue button as well as still being able to use the crossfader.

Posted Wed 23 Apr 08 @ 9:15 am
Thats great assault thanx ever so much for all your hard work il try these configs over the weekend busy 1 as usuel and i'l let you no how i get on thanx again
Djmart

Posted Wed 23 Apr 08 @ 5:19 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)