Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Crash Guard Tech Question - Help

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hi there. I just updated my system with the latest version of VDJ. I am getting a crash guard and then the program needs to be re-started. Just trying to figure it out before it goes out on shows. The crash guard message is as follows.

Crash ID=00420607 (date=804151640, version=5.0.7, build=507, thread=Main, dump=0fb70166, excode=c0000005 (0,1952d8))
Crash ID=004767f1 (date=804151658, version=5.0.7, build=507, thread=Main, dump=8b421451, excode=c0000005 (0,15))

Can anyone make some sense of this.

The only other information I can give is that I installed the program, entered in my serial number, attached my 500 gig external drive, and added a very large database to the search database. That all went fine. Then as I was messing around trying to create a waitlist the crash guard came up. I restarted the machine just in case and started working again. Nothing happened for a while but then again it came up.

The machine is running on Windows XP. 1 gig ram. Duo core chip. The skin i was using was the internal mixer skin. I was reading some other posts during a search to see if anyone else is having this problem and someone was saying that the skin could cause this error. Again... not sure. Please advise.

Thanks in advance.

Posted Tue 15 Apr 08 @ 4:15 pm
djcelPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
DigiCon wrote :
I just updated my system with the latest version of VDJ

Which version did you use before updating?

DigiCon wrote :
Crash ID=00420607 (date=804151640, version=5.0.7, build=507, thread=Main, dump=0fb70166, excode=c0000005 (0,1952d8))

It's a new one. It will be analysed ASAP.

DigiCon wrote :
Crash ID=004767f1 (date=804151658, version=5.0.7, build=507, thread=Main, dump=8b421451, excode=c0000005 (0,15))

It's what we have named "Invalid folder" crash:

http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/87287/PC_version_bugs_report/5_07_crashed_tonight_____anyone_else_have_problem___.html?page=1

Posted Tue 15 Apr 08 @ 8:06 pm
Hey there. Thanks for your response. I'm going to read up in more detail the link you provided. I am guessing in my initial reading that there isn't anything you can do about it?

I have another interesting one for you. The "Sidelist" under the browser...... when I double click on a song in the browser which puts it into the player, (Either one) it seems that a random song ends up in the sidelist for no reason. I don't remember this happening in the other version. I'm wondering if I'm just missing something or you have an explanation for it.

I'll see if I can find out exactly which version I was using before but at the risk of sounding ignorant I'm going to say it was 4.0. It was still the same "Looking" program wiithout the "browser" tab. Sorry.... I usually like to be really detailed when i reply but I'm working from home on this one right now. Any help would be appreciated.

Lastly.... I switched skins from the internal mixer skin and haven't had a crash yet. Do you think this has solved the problem or is there no link from the crash warning and the skin.

Thanks;

Posted Tue 15 Apr 08 @ 9:21 pm
Hi Djcel;

Ok... I have read and studied the link you sent over and wanted to give you the following information. Firstly... I have a very large "Favourite" folder which is basically the entire music collection on an external 500 gig hard drive. I know the drive is good and the drive has been running on the same machine for quite some time now and has had no errors. Prior to putting VDJ on the machine, we had PCDJ FX VRM running on it with the same drive and it has completed hundreds of shows with no errors or anything like that. I'm just letting you know that so you understand that we have been running the same drive with the same lap-top for a while with no flaws. These drives also get tested quite regularly. I beleive it's safe to say that we have ruled out hardware at this time.

Secondly... the other thing you should know is that I changed the skin of VDJ from the "Internal Mixer" skin which is where I had both crashes, to the "Full" skin which so far hasn't given me any problems at all. I know in the other link you gave me it was said by another teamer that some skins could present a problem. But that skin from that link seemed to be a custom skin if I remember correctly.

Based on the information in your post about the "Invalid Folder" error, I tried the following things to make it crash.

- Loaded up songs at a very rapid rate while also expanding and collapsing the "favourite" folder - NO CRASH
- Loaded up songs at a very rapid rate while moving songs around in the browser - NO CRASH
- Played songs in both decks while navigating through the "favourite" folder and moving stuff around - NO CRASH
- Played songs in both decks while loading playlists in the right side of the browser to be autoplayed - NO CRASH
- Played songs in both decks and then went on to my desktop and started opening up other folders - NO CRASH
- Played songs in both decks and then opened up the "Config" to change things. - NO CRASH
- Searching the database while both decks are in the middle of loading tracks - NO CRASH
- Doing very general searches which yield lot's of results while both decks are playing - NO CRASH

I think that just about covers it. Is there anything else I can try doing? I'm just trying to make sure I cover everything before sending it out on a gig. Just for your information as well, the machine's only purpose is to dj. It doesn't get used for anything else and is not a business machine by day.

Ok.... there ya go. Have fun with that. ;-) I look forward to your answer to this and to maybe giving something else to try. I would love to be able to replicate this.

Thanks again for your time.

Posted Tue 15 Apr 08 @ 11:49 pm
Hey there;

Ok... just to be thorough.... here is the information that was requested of me in the prior posts.

The last version of Virtual DJ we were using was version 4.3.r12. That version seemed to run very smoothly for us for the most part.
The computer is as follows:
- Windows XP service pack 2
- Intel Core 2 T5500 @ 1.66 980 MHZ
- 0.99 gig ram
- Sound card is the U46MKII
- Controller is the DAC3

Since I didn't experience any problems yesterday in my testing I hooked it up to the full system in the shop today to run it for some serious testing with the sound card for a few hours. Wouldn't you know it.. I now have a new problem and I think it's a setting issue. Help would be appreciated.

I am running the sound card in ASIO since that seems to be the only way VDJ speaks to it. I have the settings to the stock settings that the system is set to in the performance tab. I start playing music and have it mixing. After about the 4th or 5th song, the music becomes distorted. I tried this a few times and had the same results. I was thinking the performance tab needs to move towards the "quality" side so I did that and still had the same results. Thought it was the sound card however switched over to PCDJ and it ran flawlessly for over and hour. Therefore... I must be missing something obvious here or there is a conflict that is known about but I just can't find it when searching this forum. I know people have had issues here with that sound card, however with the last version of VDJ it worked fine in ASIO and never had a problem. Any ideas anyone?

Thanks.

Posted Wed 16 Apr 08 @ 5:48 pm
could try backing up to the drivers that came before the most recent worth a shot

Posted Sat 19 Apr 08 @ 6:33 pm
djcelPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
Ok thank you for the feedbacks

About your new problem, verify that the latency is "auto" in VirtualDJ

Posted Sun 20 Apr 08 @ 4:34 pm
Thanks for the reply DJCel. I will confirm this tomorrow and give it a try. I'll post the results.

Posted Thu 24 Apr 08 @ 7:26 pm
Hi DJCel;

Checked the performance settings in VDJ today and played a bit more with it. I changed the latency setting to AUTO as you requested and tried it. I did find an improvement however I am still getting pops and some static as the songs play. This is definitely far better then before so thanks for that. I tried playing with the perfomance bar a bit and it didn't seem to help. I also found it helped when I turned "SAFE MODE" off and checked the "OVERCLOCK" box. Again.... much better but still getting some random pops and hissing which are not found when using other software with the same sound card. Wondering at this point if it's the ASIO driver. I am using the ASIO for all driver as opposed to when running PCDJ we are using the main U46 MKII driver. Do you have any thoughts or other settings I could try. I'm going to keep playing with it to see if I can figure it out.

Thanks and I look forward to your response.

Posted Fri 25 Apr 08 @ 8:31 pm
Ok... I think the problem is now fixed. I would still love a response from someone regarding the error I had as i still haven't confirmed whether it's the skin that made it crash.

I updated the driver to the 1.30 of the U46DJ which seems to have an upgraded ASIO driver installed. This seems to have fixed the problem once it was put in and then a bit of tweaking to get everything right. It went out and completed a gig with no problem so i'm hoping this is the end of it.

Funny enough... with the U46 card ASIO for all didn't work... In fact, it made things a lot worse then before. I now understand why so many people posted problems with this card. You really need to find the right version of the driver that works due to all the changes.

Still would love to hear from someone regarding my earlier questions/post.

Thanks.

Posted Thu 01 May 08 @ 3:50 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)