Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Ripping PromoOnly DVDs using a MAC

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hey,

May be a nOoB question, but I heard a rumor that VDJ will rip and tag Promo Only DVDs. True or False?
If no, does anyone have a suggestion for getting the highest quality rip out of a Promo Only DVD on Mac? Auto-tagging would be an excellent feature as I have many many DVDs to rip. The VOB files on the P.O. DVDs are kind of lumped together so 20 tracks are on 5 VOB files...

Any ideas?

Thanks!

-C.

Posted Sat 12 Apr 08 @ 1:22 am
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
It will not as Promo Only do not provide data to tag the tracks automaticaly with say tag and rename currently.

Posted Sat 12 Apr 08 @ 2:18 pm
HiTowerPRO InfinityMember since 2007
The only thing I've heard of to help tag Promo DVD's is at this link; http://www.lmoffice.com/ This guy has various things on his site, and the tagging program is listed under DJExtractor. It's a freeware, so who knows what will happen when you use it. I personally haven't used it, but I've heard it works. It's a windows program, so I'm not sure if this helps much. Just thought I'd share it because I know a lot of people are running boot camp.

As for ripping/encoding... I use a combination of RipDVD (comes with VDJ) and Mac The Ripper (free download at http://www.mactheripper.org/). For some reason, RipDVD doesn't rip the last song on every DVD. So, for the sake of time, I rip the disc with RipDVD, then use Mac The Ripper to rip the last track. With my method, and wanting the best quality, I don't compress the video and just use the VOB files. I'm by no means an expert on this, so if someone else has a better solution, I'd like to hear it too.

Posted Sat 12 Apr 08 @ 5:25 pm
How do u rip Promo Only DVDs using ripdvd. Mine won't recognize the DVD.

Posted Mon 05 May 08 @ 7:03 pm
HiTowerPRO InfinityMember since 2007
I don't really do anything special. Rip DVD automatically recognizes the Promo Only DVD. I've never done anything but open the program and start ripping. I remember reading awhile ago that RipDVD is problematic on Mac. Could be I'm just lucky that Rip DVD works for me. After looking closer at Rip DVD, it doesn't have any preferences to change. Just that drop down menu on the top, left hand corner. I'm sure you've tried using that, so I'm not sure what the problem could be.

On a side note, I've experimented with the software I mentioned earlier (DJ Extractor). It isn't reliable. Some disc's rip and tag properly. Others don't. It's hit or miss. To date, I've only tried ripping Promo Only Hot Video disc's with the software. When ripping Hot Video, the results are better if you don't rip the ambient videos. The program gets confused when it see's two "chapter one." As the first track and first ambient are both recognized as "chapter one." That causes a chain reaction that labels some, most, or all of the remaining tracks incorrectly. This isn't a stand alone software. You need a separate DVD ripper (DVD Encryptor works with my set up) and from what I can tell, Media Player has to be used as the encoder. Still, if you have a large video collection this software combination does help speed up the process. A helpful feature from DJ Extractor is, it will tag files as well as discs. So, if you simply rip the Promo Only disc chapter by chapter, you can use DJ Extractor to tag the files. There are numerous other quirks with the software. But, until something better comes along, it's a start to getting videos ripped.

Posted Wed 07 May 08 @ 12:54 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)