Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Denon HC-4500 is Not Native To Virtual DJ?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hey guys great program, I studied up a while before I bought and for what I do this is the perfect program. With that said I guess I didn't read the fine print..Virtual DJ does not offer native support for the HC-4500. I called Denon and asked why after selecting "CD" as the source, playing a song, then going back to "PC" does the display on the HC-4500 go blank or almost blank? They responded that VIRTUAL DJ does not have native support for the controller, and that a program that did have native support would not do that. I did have REFLEX LE installed at first and it did not have this problem, but like I said for what I do (private parties, weddings, kareoke, etc) Virtual DJ is what I need. I'm hoping someone had already figured this problem out, I'm really new to the game. Thanks in advance!

DJ Antonio

Posted Fri 11 Apr 08 @ 5:24 pm
Please do not double post. Thanks:)

Posted Fri 11 Apr 08 @ 5:34 pm
Tear Em 'UpPRO InfinitySenior ModeratorMember since 2006
With all the new hardware controllers coming out the Dev team is swamped with mapping them....I am sure it is being worked on as we speak though....

Posted Fri 11 Apr 08 @ 5:35 pm
Sorry about the double post, wasn't sure if it was a hardware or software problem. Not pissed about it not being native yet as long as the the software works at the gigs. I've always wanted a nice kareoke program and this can do that. I just started vj'ing, so anything is better that the set up I had last time. Of course i've NEVER trusted a computer at a wedding to do anything other than act like an iPod. Always just spun on my own so i'm pretty excited about the challenge.

Posted Fri 11 Apr 08 @ 11:02 pm
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
There are various levels of 'Native' support. Is VirtualDJ supporting the HC-4500 as if VirtualDJ was an exclusive Denon product application - NO. The HC-4500 is 'natively' support in VirtualDJ. Matter of fact, it is Atomix/VirtualDJ that helped Denon discover the first 'flaw' in the controller and why a firmware upgrade was required to make native support possible.

So, don't know who or what their background was at Denon that you talked with but VirtualDJ does natively support the controller and shortly their is planned an extensively configured mapper that will be released. (For those that have the controller - it will be released when it is ready.)

Posted Sat 12 Apr 08 @ 1:44 am
i'm just waiting to see or hear good comments about native support for hc4500 or the jboggis mapper release, before i really spend some money buying the pro version.honestly i would buy this software without any hesitation b/c it's truly amazing. kinda sux without having download privaleage with crack versions.but for me it's all about the hc4500 and it's full potentials. currently it's between reflex and vdj. woulld love to see native support from vdj that resemble reflex, b/c i think virtual dj is a better software and has more to offer, but i would hate to spend so much money buying one software too early then come to find out the other one is better!!

Posted Sat 12 Apr 08 @ 8:21 am
It still doesn't work perfectly. I am waiting for VDJ to add a way to toggle the scratch on/off. I prefer to bend with the jog wheels. Anyone have a mapper ??

Posted Sat 12 Apr 08 @ 11:14 am
I called the customer service number on the Denon website. I pressed 2 for technical support and told them the issue I'm having with the controller. He listened carefully, didn't want to give me bad advice, so he put me on hold and got some back up. When they came back on the line a minute or two later I was on speakerphone with a couple of guys. Explained the issue again and was told it was not native. Thier words not mine. Did not have the issue with Reflex LE which is native, of course it was bundled with the controller so for all of the issues with that program it at least should be native which it is. I don't mind that Virtual DJ is not completely native yet, as long as it will eventually. I gig alot and it's not like I'm gonna change what I do and how I do it over a weekend. I'll use the program tonight for maybe an hour on and off, right now Virtual DJ is like a really cool new tool that will take me a season/year or more to play on before it becomes trusted or second nature if you will. I have seen some frustration this and other forums in regards to some of these issues with support/updates etc..and the "It will be ready when its ready" is tough to swallow. That you are working hard on it suffices, that we will be stoked when all is said and done is cool, but realize that the controller plus the program is more than Serato SL, thought by many as a standard, even though limited at least in comparison to Virtual DJ as far as I've been able to examine and understand.

Posted Sat 12 Apr 08 @ 1:00 pm
Seaside...i have been using Virtual DJ and former product Atomix MP3 for about 3-4 years now and I must tell you that it is every bit amazing as it seems. Most issues are OE. (Operator Error) If you study up on your equipment before you purchase you chsoul be in good hands. I am using the The Denon HC4500 controller and i use it in a nightclub environment 3 days a week with Friday and Saturday nights averaging about 800-1300 people per night. I have no problems with using the controller and it does offer Native support to an extent. Plus you have talented users like JP Boggis that puts out mappings and upgrade features which make this program more and more powerful. I am using 2 controllers right now as I am a control freak. I am using the Denon and the DMC2. I love the features that they both offer only I think that the Denon will actually handle the abuse that I give it. I have also you the so called industry standard Serato and also PCDJ all versions and have been very disappointed with their lack of features that I have in Virtual DJ including the effects and video control. All you ever hear on this website is bitches and complaints 9 out of 10 times but the software is professionaly sound, stable and is my choice for Professional DJ entertainment.

Posted Sun 13 Apr 08 @ 11:35 am
Silvio from Denon has stated on the Denon forum that:

"There is a "refresh" display command that they need to apply by MIDI when coming back from "CD" mode.
Serato, Reflex & Reflex LE does this just fine."

So I guess VDJ is not issuing this "refresh" command.

Posted Sun 13 Apr 08 @ 1:34 pm
groovindj you are right... that is exact my problem too... there is no refresh from vdj to the hc-4500 when switching from CD mode to PC
So i go to CONFIG and disable the remote hc-4500 and enable again...

Posted Mon 14 Apr 08 @ 7:28 am
Someone should mention this in the sodftware tech support area so that (hopefully) one of the VDJ guys can see it and add afix to the next release.

Posted Tue 15 Apr 08 @ 7:35 am
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
The Dev Team is aware of the issue.

Posted Tue 15 Apr 08 @ 8:44 am
Was hoping 5.1 would fix this (although i'm using JPB mapper). Is this sending the 'refresh' via midi something that needs to be done by the dev team or can it be implemented into mapper code ?

Posted Fri 13 Jun 08 @ 5:35 am
nickgoodman wrote :
Was hoping 5.1 would fix this (although i'm using JPB mapper). Is this sending the 'refresh' via midi something that needs to be done by the dev team or can it be implemented into mapper code ?

Yes, this is something that will need to be fixed by the dev team. There is a work around built into my mapper though:

At time of release, there is a small bug in the Denon DN-HC4500 native support where the displays will not refresh properly when changing back to PC mode after using CD mode. This also affects the mapper too.

A work around has been added to the mapper to get around this problem until it's fixed in a future update to VDJ.

To activate the fix, simply press the parameter knob again after selecting and confirming your source, e.g:

While in CD mode, press SOURCE and use the parameter knob to select PC. Press the parameter knob to choose PC mode, then press it again to confirm.

Wait until the 'SOURCE sel Completed!' message disappears and then press the parameter knob again to activate the reset. You will see all the LED's on the HC4500 light up momentarily.

Posted Fri 13 Jun 08 @ 12:22 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)