Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Mpegs play great in Media Play. Train wreck in Virtual DJ

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

My video subscription disks from ScreenPlay came in, pre-ripped to mpeg format, and they all play great in Windows Media Player. The audio AND the video are outstanding !

So is it too much to ask that my new $300 Virtual DJ software should play them without any problems also?

I guess not because so far it's a total train wreck.

All of the videos had a green line running through the center. So I scoured the VDJ forum and luckily found this guy who had a link to some upgraded codecs.

1st PROBLEM IS NOW SOLVED

Now for the 2nd problem:

THE FREAK'N AUDIO STARTS TO DRIFT FROM THE VIDEO RIGHT AWAY, PLUS THE AUDIO IS DISTORTED

But once again I repeat........If Bill Gates can put together a free program that is buddled with XP that plays MPEG videos without a problem then why shouldn't a $300 program specifically designed to play audio and video not do the same thing right out of the box !

Dell Inspiron 6000
1.6ghz Pentium M Centrino processor
2gb of ram
160gb hard drive
XP Professional
Virtual DJ 5.0.7
CPU display on Virtual DJ barely goes beyond 25%

Posted Thu 10 Apr 08 @ 6:23 pm
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Are you playing them straight from the CD or have you copied them to the hard drive?

If you are trying to stream the video from the CD then you have the lag of access time to the CD and it's buffering of the data.

The simple answer is that there is a lot more going on with VirtualDJ than just playing the video.

Posted Thu 10 Apr 08 @ 6:36 pm
I copied the mpegs directly from the ScreenPlay disk to the hard drive.

The files are not streaming from the CD.

Thanks for your reply

DJ Jimmy
Mobile-Music-Masters.com

Posted Thu 10 Apr 08 @ 8:25 pm
That computer has not enough video power sufficient to play videos in Virtual DJ. Video playback in WMP can't be compared to mix videos in VDJ... :/

Found a spec/review page, should by quite similar to yours..

Dell Inspiron 6000 D Specs:

* 1.6 GHz Intel Pentium M 730 (Sonoma), 533MHz FSB and PCIe x16 chipset
* 15.4 inch WSXGA+ LCD Panel (Samsung)
* 512 MB DDR2 400 MHz ram
* 60 GB Ultra ATA Fujitsu 4200rpm hard drive
* 64 MB ATi Mobility Radeon X300
* Microsoft Windows XP Home
* 24x CD-RW/DVD (Sony)
* Intel 2200 b/g internal wireless card
* 6-cell lithium ion battery
* 4 USB ports
* 1 IEEE 1394 FireWire port
* Secure Digital I/O card slot
* 1 PCMCIA card slot
* 2 front facing speakers
* VGA output
* Optional S-Video and composite video out with adaptor cable
* Audio-out (headphones) and Mic-in
* Integrated 10/100 network Ethernet card
* Internal 56k modem

So, VDJ isn't the issue - you just need more power!

Posted Fri 11 Apr 08 @ 4:41 am
Thanks antileon

Can anyone on this board recommend an "out of the box" laptop that has no issues with video mixing?

A laptop that you didn't have to search the web for various codecs and system tweaks just to get VDJ to work?

Posted Fri 11 Apr 08 @ 7:26 am
yk23PRO InfinityMember since 2006
Try updating the video driver or an older video driver, cause sometimes newer is not always better. Also try changing to the video decoder to Windows Media Player- that is what worked for me in the past with the "Green Lines".

Posted Fri 11 Apr 08 @ 9:14 am
I think I need lots of help... I can't get VDJ to read my video that I copied to my hard drive. I am very new at video. Can someone give me some "baby" steps to follow?

Posted Thu 01 May 08 @ 12:59 pm
edit: Looks like this was already suggested above, did it work?

This is a bit of an 'advanced user' advice, but it just might work (or not):

Try go to VDJ/Settings/Codecs and change whatever it is that you're trying to play (mpeg?) from eg. video decoder -> windows media player decoder.

The VDJ built in default decoder use 3rd party library that does have bugs that can make it seem if the computer was too slow but is infact problem with the decoder.

warning though: It's possible changing this fixes one thing but breaks something else so test thoroughly before going live with this change.

Posted Thu 01 May 08 @ 2:37 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)