Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: New MAC user... questions to expert VDJ MAC users.

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Just bought a MacBook Pro with great specs!

I mix videos using timecode vinyl & midi.

questions...

I have heard that you CAN'T use the Serato SL-1 box as a soundcard using a MAC in OSX.
So... what if you did the whole bootcamp thing and installed XP... could you use the SL-1 then?

I have a maya44 usb soundcard I have used with my PC laptop but curious if it would work with my MacBook Pro or should I just get a better soundard more suitable for MAC?

I would rather not go out and buy the Numark Virtual Vinyl package just for the soundcard when I own the software already have TCV's.
now... if the soundcard was sold separately... or if anyone knows one for sale?

&... would it be suggested to just use the Mac version of VDJ instead of doing the whole bootcamp XP install?

Posted Sun 30 Mar 08 @ 8:35 pm
spinnaJPRO InfinityMember since 2004
hi low-fat-al, welcome as a mac user;)

1) For the first question i can't really answer u as i not sure if u can use the serato box. U need to have it as an aggregate devices n u need to open the serato software first b4 open VDJ. Maybe it will werk on bootcamp but i did not koe as i dun use bootcamp n have that card. sorry. Maybe someone with the card could review it for you.

2) U can use the maya44usb n u need to create it as an aggregate devices. See skyfxl blog on how to install it. Btw for ur info, the aggregate devices issue need to be improved n hopefully by the next version;)

3) The numark box will not be sold separately.

4) As i said earlier i did not use bootcamp hence i running vdj mac on osx;) It run good so far with minor problem. It best to keep ur mac clean. If u're using macbook pro with the latest spec, it should run great with video n audio:)

Regards.

Posted Mon 31 Mar 08 @ 1:05 am
DJ CyderPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2003
Al,

I can go over the ins and outs of mac, however we must remember that new versions are on the horizon and things will improve. Right now if you don't have a VV box timecode is exponentially difficult to do on mac.

Posted Mon 31 Mar 08 @ 7:28 am
I appreciate any help on the MAC side.
So basically as far as soundcard you are saying I would have to go out and buy the full Virtual Vinyl package just to get a MAC version better?
I am pretty sure this has brought up many times before but.. why has Numark made a special pricing for existing Virtual DJ Pro users whom just want the soundcard.??.. that's it... all I need.. got everything else.

Posted Mon 31 Mar 08 @ 7:55 am
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Hi , you need the VV box as the agregate engines used for other cards dont work alas currently

The VV box works natively.

Simply we are not allowed to sell the box without the software due to licencing agreements with Atomix.

Posted Mon 31 Mar 08 @ 8:45 am
that is unfortunate.
So anyone here whom has a MAC and buys the software via download who wants to use timecode pretty much screwed.
Not that I am screwed entirely.. I just can't use my MAC with VDJ right now.

There should be a notation the on the website somewhere to make sure that this doesn't happen with other potential MAC users trying out this in hopes they can use either the SL-1 box or other soundcards with much success.

Posted Mon 31 Mar 08 @ 12:18 pm
I'm sorry you feel "screwed" but in all fairness a little research on your part would have saved you some aggravation (and money). There is a lot of info on this forum on what soundcards work with VDJ. You shouldn't just outright buy VDJ and assume that your Serato soundcard will work with it.

Posted Mon 31 Mar 08 @ 12:37 pm
believe me... I didn't buy my MacBook for VDJ. It is for Serato's Video Plug-In which works fine on it.
I just want to have both software solutions on my laptop running.

Just pointing out how unless you buy the Numark's Virtual Vinyl package it may be difficult to get it running with ease.

If I have to buy it I guess I will. Just seems redundant considering I already own the software.

Posted Mon 31 Mar 08 @ 12:53 pm
Well as far as I know Serato is exactly the same. You can't use Serato unless you have purchased the whole package which includes the soundcard, and even though you can download the Serato software for free you still have to purchase the whole package in order to use the software. Btw, there are many soundcards that can be used with VDJ. The Maya soundcard seems to be quite widely used, and maybe it's not as 'plug-and-play' as VV's soundcard but with a little more time spent setting it up it should work fine for you.

Posted Mon 31 Mar 08 @ 1:28 pm
I have the Maya 44usb. I will give it a shot.

& Serato's video plug-in isn't exactly a free software anyways.
I had to buy the mixer & plug-in. Then out of advice from many users over there... a macbook pro.
They haven't ironed out a smooth working PC version yet.

so I am no stranger to having to buy what I need to get the job done.

Posted Mon 31 Mar 08 @ 1:37 pm
I agree with lot fat al. I have Serato and I just purchased VDJ software online today. I tried to use it and the timecoded vinyl does not work. I read this thread and realized why. I wish Virtual DJ specified this for mac users. Does this Maya 44USB work with mac and VDJ?

Posted Mon 31 Mar 08 @ 9:30 pm
spinnaJPRO InfinityMember since 2004
DJ_Andre_905 wrote :
Does this Maya 44USB work with mac and VDJ?

spinnaJ wrote :

2) U can use the maya44usb n u need to create it as an aggregate devices. See skyfxl blog on how to install it. Btw for ur info, the aggregate devices issue need to be improved n hopefully by the next version;)

U can try to use it but there are some issue regarding abt the aggregate device engine. As mentioned, the NVV box will werk well with mac VDJ. The mk2 is also supported even tho not that good compared to the NVV box.

All the best n regards.

Posted Tue 01 Apr 08 @ 12:50 am
Al I wish you would have hit me up 2 weeks ago when I sold my VV soundcard.

Posted Tue 01 Apr 08 @ 1:16 am
I tried... but you had just sold it

Posted Tue 01 Apr 08 @ 6:20 am
ktatafuPRO InfinityMember since 2008
Thank you for pointing this out al. I too bought vdj with out knowing that the serato sound card won't work with the software. It is very frustrating because when I was researching vdj, I saw videos on youtube on how to set up your system with vdj and they used the serato sound card too. (Not knowing that this feature only worked for PCs and not MACs) VDJ really should emphasize this warning to mac users before their purchase as it seems to be a problem to many people.

Posted Tue 01 Apr 08 @ 9:08 am
HiTowerPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Well, it seems it's time for the weekly "timecode doesn't work" thread. I have to disagree with you dizzyrocks2001. When a company says something will work, I do feel screwed when it doesn't. VDJ really needs a Mac description to their site. How hard would it be to tell us if we want to use timecode we need to get VV BEFORE we purchase any products. Also, I did my research. I was told by a VDJ rep at the DJ Expo in Atlantic City that all this worked. He said that as long as I had a sound card with 4in/4out I was good to go. I SOOOO wish I could remember his name, because I would put him on blast everytime this topic comes up. I guess it's still my fault, though.

Posted Wed 02 Apr 08 @ 2:16 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)