Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Topic: Option for mono output - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

The scratch mixer I use with my setup does not have a mono switch so if I play an older track where the drums are are on the left channel and the horns are on the right channel... well you can see what I'm getting at. It would be nice if VV had an option to output in mono whether it be a button on the skin, a keyboard shortcut or a setting in the config menu.

Posted Thu 28 Feb 08 @ 2:12 pm
djsherzPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Hear hear! I was playing in a venue the other week, wondering why the sound was so odd. Turns out the club uses a mono system, which would have been fine, except that the amps were all fed from the left channel of the mixer! The right hand channel was not connected at all! Shame on whoever wired that up... a mono switch would have been very useful that night...

Posted Fri 29 Feb 08 @ 1:08 pm
Here's what you need to do:

Click CONFIG.

Click SOUND SET UP tab.

Inputs: set to NONE

Outputs: set to EXTERNAL MIXER

Sound card: set to MONO SEPARATED

Then, take a drive to your local Maplins store. You need two adaptor cables, with a mono phono socket on one end, and two phono plugs on t'other. Plug one phono of your laptop-to-mixer audio cable into one adaptor (so your red plug now terminates with two plugs), and do the same with the other plug. Plug one set into your left deck fader, and the other set into your right deck fader.

Bingo. Mono output to both channels, left deck on left fader, right deck on right fader. Works perfectly.

Posted Fri 21 Mar 08 @ 6:57 am
Which is fine if you want to play in mono all the time.... it's just something thats occasionally needed.

Posted Fri 21 Mar 08 @ 11:06 am
Did you not read my post? My scratch mixer does not have a mono switch, in fact many scratch mixers don't have a mono switch. So for anyone who has a mixer without a mono switch then I would say that it's not "occasionally needed". And maybe you spin in venues that have only two speakers, but if the venue has many speakers and the sound system isn't wired for mono then you're going to get unsatisfactory sound. Besides, it would be such an easy function to implement. And even if it is "occasionally needed" it's still very useful. Talk to me after you play a gig and people on the dancefloor are looking at you all confused because they're hearing drums and guitar on one side of the room and the vocals are coming from the other.

Posted Fri 21 Mar 08 @ 11:39 am
Eh? I was agreeing with you Dizzy! My point was that a software-emulatad mono button was a better solution than physically wiring the outputs together as described above...

Posted Fri 21 Mar 08 @ 2:33 pm
I would like to know if it is possible to split the sound output from my headphone jack to enable me to cue tracks but still have an output for speakers that doesn't allow you to hear next track being cued. I am sure it is a single output soundcard but thought I might be able to split it with adaptors to make monitor and master out separate. Or would it be easier to buy something like an indigo echo soundcard to do the job?

Posted Tue 02 Jun 09 @ 3:25 pm
Mono output for weird old stereo recordings?

I seem to recall there being a plugin for exactly this back in the old days of version 3.x... I'm sure it wouldn't be to hard for one of the plugin gurus to make a plugin for version 6!

Posted Wed 03 Jun 09 @ 10:30 am
djkatzPRO InfinityMember since 2007

Or even if someone can find that old plugin cause I could really use it even on an older version

Posted Fri 11 Nov 11 @ 7:23 pm
owenandrew wrote :
Bingo. Mono output to both channels, left deck on left fader, right deck on right fader. Works perfectly.

unless your using 3 channels on your mixer IE: cue/sample, left deck, right deck.

Posted Mon 14 Nov 11 @ 9:27 am
dizzyrocks2001 wrote :
The scratch mixer I use with my setup does not have a mono switch so if I play an older track where the drums are are on the left channel and the horns are on the right channel... well you can see what I'm getting at. It would be nice if VV had an option to output in mono whether it be a button on the skin, a keyboard shortcut or a setting in the config menu.

If you run an advanced config in the sound setup, mono channels can be accomplished. Unfortunately it is not as simple as pressing a button to switch to mono like a mixer would have.

You can see how to setup mono channels in the Audio Setup Guide.

Posted Thu 17 Nov 11 @ 8:47 am

Posted Thu 17 Nov 11 @ 9:33 pm
marksmolinski wrote :
i use this VST plugin on some tracks that \'pan\' too much in the stereo field (eg. vocal in right channel, music on left)
http://www.kellyindustries.com/stereo_tools.html

nice! works fine with VDJ 7? IE: no known issues?

Posted Tue 22 Nov 11 @ 10:43 am
AVS-UKHome userMember since 2017
Help - i run my mac in mono and have player 1 on the left and player 2 on the right. to do this i split the stereo cable into 2 mono jacks which has always worked well until i changed to virtual dj, i have noticed that although the decks sum a stereo track to mono i'm noticing that some stereo tracks don't sum properly and the sound level changes, e.g. Thin lizzy - boys are back in town, left is nice and loud but when the repeat of the vocal "boys are back in town" on the right its very very quiet. is there any setting that can fix this? Thanks in advance.

Posted Mon 20 Feb 17 @ 1:00 pm
Google search for stereotools as the author's website wasn't working the last time I looked.
Stereotools mono mode works great for thin Lizzy..

Posted Sat 04 Mar 17 @ 4:56 am
KeivanPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Greetings All,

Why hasn't there been a simple button added to the skin or in settings to quick select mono or stereo ? I find this to be a so very important feature needed in the DJ world. I'm using VDJ 8.2 with a Macbook Pro & DDJ SZ. Please show me how I should set it up in Sound Set Up in 2 Channel configuration mode.

Thank You,
Keivan Keihani

Posted Wed 19 Apr 17 @ 3:54 pm
locodogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013

Posted Wed 19 Apr 17 @ 3:56 pm

Posted Wed 19 Apr 17 @ 6:48 pm
lincol2PRO InfinityMember since 2011
@klausmogensen

Your videos help.

Posted Wed 19 Apr 17 @ 6:51 pm
locodogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
A few soundcloud tunes I use make use of the fact pa is normally mono, play a track in stereo then you get a track with vocals, combined L&R to two channels and you get instrumental.

Domestic scenario, Stereo recreates like you're there. If you're infront of a k or two (pa) then you're there.

Bouncing down from 2 stereo channels to two mono channels is 101

Posted Wed 19 Apr 17 @ 7:52 pm
95%