Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Numark DJ I|O ( Metallic Sound after a while )

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

aparsonPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Hi guys,

I use the DJ I|O interface to get the sound out of CUE....I have tried it with both 512 and 1024 sample rates...the problem that I have is that after a while I start to get this metallic sound out of it and the only way I have found to stop it is to shut down and re-start CUE.

The laptop I'm currently using is not the most powerful out there, but I'm using the lowest latency possible and still get this annoying noise...I must say that with the 1024 sample rate the music last longer without that metallic sound..however, I still get it after a while, which creates a problem because I must re-start the program in order for it to go away.

The main reason I bought this device was to be able to hook up a mic without the need of a mixer ( I use Total Control to manipulate CUE ) and keep my setup as compact as possible.

By the way, I use the power cable that came with my Total Control to power the DJ I|O...so it's not draining its power from the laptop's USB port.

My laptop specs are:
Dell Latitud D600
Intel Pentium M 1.59 Mhz
512 Mb RAM.
*Before the DJ I|O, I was using a PCMCIA Sound Blaster 5.1 card. No metallic sounds then, but I needed to hook it up to a mixer in order to use a mic.

Althought I'm planning to upgrade to a more powerful laptop later on ( which could be the solution to my problem ), I'll be playing music on a friend's house party next week with my current laptop and I will really like not to have to worry about this annoying problem then.

Any advice or tips will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

ap

Posted Tue 26 Feb 08 @ 1:29 pm
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Go to Config > Performances

and choose fastest , auto latency and untick safe and over clock.

that should help to remove that noise.

Posted Tue 26 Feb 08 @ 2:54 pm
skyfxl wrote :
Go to Config > Performances

and choose fastest , auto latency and untick safe and over clock.

that should help to remove that noise.

Thank you..I'll give it a try tonight at home by leaving it running for a couple of hours and see what happens....I used to change the latency to 1024 but without moving the PRESETS slider from the middle. Never thought about putting the latency in AUTO....hopefully that will do the trick.

Best regards,

ap

Posted Tue 26 Feb 08 @ 3:44 pm
Well, looks like your advice worked...I've been playing songs for almost 4 hrs straight without getting the annoying noise again.

Thank you very much for your help.....VDJ Forums rock !!!!

ap

Posted Wed 27 Feb 08 @ 10:38 am
Your welcome , glad its working well for you :)

Posted Wed 27 Feb 08 @ 1:52 pm
Skyfxl,

I have to regretfully inform you that I got the metallic noise once again...this time I got it after the 6th hrs of straight play.....This is pretty good compared to the +/- 1 hr I used to get when using the other settings.

Althought 6 hrs without the annoying noise is enough time for a party, I would like to get to the bottom of this issue, I normally use CUE to play music and at the same time analyze my songs while working ( 8+ hrs )...so this weird sound becomes a problem then, not so much for parties that usually last between 4-6 hrs.

By all means, thanks for your previous advice, it helped me minimize the problem I was having before.

Regards,

ap

Posted Wed 27 Feb 08 @ 2:35 pm
Odears you may have a hardware conflict on your machine i would suggest you check for any irq conflicts you may have typicaly they may be with your video / audio cards and your usb ports.

This guide will show you what to do :
http://www.helpwithpcs.com/upgrading/change-irq-settings.htm

I would advise you to upgrade your ram if possible 512 is a small amount for long sets.

Posted Wed 27 Feb 08 @ 2:44 pm
skyfxl wrote :
Odears you may have a hardware conflict on your machine i would suggest you check for any irq conflicts you may have typicaly they may be with your video / audio cards and your usb ports.

This guide will show you what to do :
http://www.helpwithpcs.com/upgrading/change-irq-settings.htm

I would advise you to upgrade your ram if possible 512 is a small amount for long sets.

You're right about the ram..I'm actually planning to buy a new laptop next month...it will at least have 1GB of RAM and a Dual Core processor.....hopefully I won't have any issues then.

I'll take a look at that link you sent.

By the way, I've already ordered a pair of TCV....by the time I get the turntables, I should probably have my new laptop as well.

Thanks...ap

Posted Thu 28 Feb 08 @ 3:31 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)