Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Topic: Suggestion for bpm keyboard shortcuts

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I'm currently using Virtual Vinyl on a Macbook. What I would like to see is the ability to assign a keyboard shortcut for tapping in the bpm's. Also, once you've tapped in the approximate bpm it would be nice to have another keyboard shortcut that you could hit "on the one" of the beat in order to easily line the CBG up at the beginning of the 4/4 measure. And even better, each subsequent hit of the "on the one" key during various points of the song would act as a new anchor to give a more accurate CBG. Currently the only way to do all this is to open up the bpm window (and then move it out of the way of the rhythm window), tap on the "manual beat tap" button (which sticks), then hit the "edit bpm" tab and move the slider to match up the CBG "on the one" (which is tricky to do while the waveform is scrolling so you usually have to pause the song first). Or even worse, set multiple anchors which is a bit of a pain.

Think of how much easier it would be using my suggestion. It would be easy as tapping in 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 and then BAM!... hit the "on the one" key and voila, you've got your bpm set. Mind you, this suggestion would only provide an approximate bpm but it would be a lot easier AND you could do it on-the-fly. I mostly mix by ear and an approximate bpm is all I really need mainly so I can correct all the tracks VV couldn't calculate correctly without having to endure the labour intensive task of doing it via the bpm window. You might say that setting the bpm using the current method doesn't take all that long but my suggestion would significantly speed up the process and when you're having to fix the bpm's on thousands of songs it could be the difference between the process taking a week or a day.

I know that the current "sticky" manaul beat tap button in the bpm window is supposed to be fixed in the next update... perhaps my suggestion will come to fruition as well :)

What do all you VDJ/VV users out there think?

Posted Sun 24 Feb 08 @ 1:53 am
gang5taHome userMember since 2007
i think vdj is reluctant to perfect bpm finder coz this program is euro based and the way it is right now takes care of 98% of the euro techno style.

for those who work with hiphop style dealing with bpms 92--110 have a "less than 50%" chance of gettin the right bpm by just analyzing.

Posted Sat 01 Mar 08 @ 11:08 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)