Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: 5.0r7 - ÿ character in comment tag & not loading from tag

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hi All,

I've been using mixedinkey to get the key of my tracks - it writes to the track tag (in the Comments field) correctly and when viewing the properties in windows there's no problems - eg "7A - Electro House". Something else I should be looking for here maybe?

When in VDJ - scanning for tags will import most of the Comments tag, but for some (not all) it'll add ÿ in front of the key - eg. "ÿ7A - Electro House" and for some it won't import them at all. When viewing the file infos on the ones where it doesn't import - it's viewable right there below the comments - e.g. "(tag: 4A)" or (tag: ÿ5A).

I had this issue a little while back with r4 or r5 and - a reload of the tags seemed to correct it back then, but not having any luck now. It's something that I could go through and manually update - but I'm talking a good number of hours doing that.

Any tips out there on what I could try to get these importing/displaying correctly would be great. Anyone else having this issue?

I'm on Vista 32-bit, new laptop, plenty of memory, etc. Most of the tracks from beatport which don't import the comment have "Purchased at Beatport.com" in the comments upon initially getting the track - not sure what to make of that. A reload tag on them does nothing (after getting the key) - doesn't want to read the comment tag at all.

Posted Mon 18 Feb 08 @ 6:48 am
djlexPRO InfinityMember since 2004
me too on xp pro

Posted Wed 20 Feb 08 @ 12:12 am
li125PRO InfinityMember since 2005
I also had a few track where comments has the ÿ in front of the text that I can't explain why? v5.07 XPH.
For the Comment that are not displayed; maybe you other Comment tags inside the IDtag, like Comment iTunes,.... I notice these get beofre the Comment tag, so if they are empty this can be you problem. You can't see this in Winamp but I can recommend www.mp3tag.de for this.
you will be suprised what kind of rubbish can be inside an ID tag especially for downloaded files.
One thing I'm not sure about: what if you add a comment on a track on another PC, then copy this track over the already existing/added file in VDJ. The comment will not show, unless you do a 'reload tag' (right click in browser), correct me if I'm wrong.

Posted Fri 22 Feb 08 @ 2:26 am
As far as I know, you have to disable "unicode" in your tag writing software. This should make the character go away on your next rewrite (which will be necessary after you change the setting). Then you can "scan for tags" in VDJ to clean up the fields.

Posted Fri 22 Feb 08 @ 4:47 pm
I've downloaded and used Mp3tag to look through the tags that are showing up in VDJ with the ÿ in front of the comment field - they look perfect in Mp3tag. Nothing showing up in front of them at all.

In addition to the ÿ that's bothering me at the moment - it's that for all the updated comment tags with the key (from MixedinKey) I have to manually go into the tag info and update it there - even though it shows just below the comment! It won't automatically refresh from the tag into the VDJ comment field no matter what I do.

The info is there. Why can't it just use it?!?

Posted Sat 23 Feb 08 @ 12:24 am
A possible workaround for this is using 2 monitors , one for virtual dj and the other for Itunes,
then drag and drop from itunes to vdj, then it loads perfectly
I do it that way and it works great , even better when you've got over 20000 songs

Posted Sat 23 Feb 08 @ 6:41 pm
In the search bar, enter the "*" character to bring up the global database. Select the tracks by clicking on one to highlight it, then select all (ctrl+a), right-click, select reload tag. Also, make sure that you have rewritten the tags (v1) without unicode prior to doing this or the ÿ unicode character will show up in the tag when you reload it in VDJ. The character is NOT visible in your tag writing software.

Posted Sat 23 Feb 08 @ 7:50 pm
Alright I did some more testing:
Reload tag seems only available when selecting more than 1 file in the browser otherwise you need to do it in the tag window.
It looks like VDJ can reed aswell v1 as v2.3 tags (but not v2.4). v1 tags are bog standard but when I use v2 in mp3tag, it need to v2.3 ISO-8859-1, when I use v2.3 UTF-16 I do get ÿ charater in front of the comment. That is only in the comment why not the other fields like artist, titel,... Could it be some non-standard interpretations of the tags from VDJ?
see also http://www.anytag.de/forums/index.php?showtopic=3076&hl=unicode

Posted Tue 26 Feb 08 @ 2:48 pm
One more thing, before Reload tag has any effect you need to do Erase Comment. Otherwise you will not so see any changes even when the tag is OK. VDJ doesn't not overwrite the Comment tag aparently.
So may I conclude when you change now and then the comment tags outside VDJ on some tracks, there's is no other way than erasing ALL Comments and the Reload all tags if you want to be sure you have all the latest tag info showing up?
1.That makes me thinking; what if you do add some Comments in VDJ itself, you can't do Erase Comments then? How to see newly added (not in VDJ) Comments then?
2. Will all that Erasing and adding put extra overhead in the XML database? Needs to clean the DB somehow?

Posted Tue 26 Feb 08 @ 4:28 pm

Posted Sat 01 Mar 08 @ 4:16 am
bobbiePRO InfinityMember since 2003

Posted Sun 02 Mar 08 @ 5:13 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)