Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Topic: a universal box/sound card

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Here was the scenario. I was playing a big party with a few guest Dj's. I was using CD's, one guest was using Torq, the other VDJ, and yet another Serato. You can imagine the trouble of unplugging/replugging/signal checking of these different boxes in between mixes; long songs are big help. Of course every DJ wants to use their own box. And, not many clubs have a passive patch-bay that is shielded properly to adapt all of these different interfaces.

I was wondering if others have run into this and what their views were. Probably many years down the road, it might be nice to have a wireless box or the wireless box was built into the mixer. Of course there would be problems to overcome such a frequency response, EMF noise, time lag, firmware etc.

I kind of feel that a universal commonality might be needed. Kind of like how the telephone keypad or even a dial is operable and understood anywhere in the world. Have you ever gone to a friends house and tried to use/programme something as basic as their Microwave? Often it can be frustrating because the sequence is completely different. I feel that since we are in the developing years of software DJ-ing (the first generation if you will) the users working in harmony with the developers and their competition need to agree to a universal platform. Please feel free to comment or add your thoughts/ideas.

Posted Fri 15 Feb 08 @ 3:44 am
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Sounds like the Torq and SSL guys were the ones out of luck, since VirtualDJ supports the SL1 box and the Torq Conectiv box.

Anyhow, that would be very difficult to accomplish since Serato uses their soundbox and TM57 mixer as the keys that unlock the SSL software for use.

And if that was not the case then using alot of the commercial of-the-self sound cards would be possible. I think the Torq software does not rely on the Conectiv and can use other sound cards like VirtualDJ.

Posted Fri 15 Feb 08 @ 1:26 pm
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Torq can use other cards but the connective must remain connected or it will shut down / wont start.

Posted Fri 15 Feb 08 @ 4:32 pm
You folks are right the Torq and Serato DJ's did have a more difficult time. This is one of many reasons why VDJ is superior in my opinion. I still think that everyone involved needs to agree and develop a 'universal box/hub'.

Posted Fri 15 Feb 08 @ 4:50 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)