Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Modifications DAC-2

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Did you know you could modify the DAC-2 so that there is no "click"?

A few years ago, with the support of an audio engineer, I modified my RANE MP2 mixer so the cross fader is smooth. It made all the difference for mixing! I also modified the inputs so that it would AMP up the L1 and L2 so that they were as loud as a conventional CD deck.

The next project is to take my DAC-2 apart and remove the clicks. I plan to disassemble my trusty ole' DAC-2 and remove the mechanism that makes it clicks. I have confirmed the wheel clicks are NOT the actual contacts of the switch but intentionally placed in there to give tactile feedback. I wonder how it will be without the clicks? I want to try it with VDJ scratching and will post my results.

other plans for this year is to repaint the DAC-2 face plate with custom logo & graphics. I do have a spare metal DAC-2 case to muck around with.

I'll keep you posted. And kids, don't try this at home!
WirelessDJ

Posted Sun 28 Nov 04 @ 8:29 pm
2 hours and 2 springs removed later...

The DAC-2 inner jog wheels have been liberated! They spin freely without the wheel falling into a click position. The modification does not allow the jog wheels to spin quite as freely as the Hercules DJ console but I think it is better this way. In my opinion, the click made it feel cheap.

I would say the wheels almost feel like the Alcatech BPM Studio Controller jogs. The only difference in the feeling is that Alcatech has heavier wheels that tend to spin longer when you spin them (like a gyroscope effect)

I didn't realize how accurate the DAC-2 wheels really are! before I was counting clicks for the accuracy test. Without the click, I can actually move the wheel from point to point without resistance.

This is NOT a modification I would suggest anyone do. It involved completely ripping the controller apart, de-soldering dozens of connections, disassembling the actual switch, then reversing the entire process. By the end of the process I was a mess from the greasy wheel innards and bleeding from being stabbed by the solder pins.

Overall I am happy with the result!

WirelessDJ

Posted Sun 28 Nov 04 @ 9:57 pm
Why!? Is it realy worth it to mod the DAC-2? Do you get better performance now with the DAC-2 and other DJ apps?

Posted Sun 28 Nov 04 @ 10:33 pm
listen to this sample of scratching...
http://home.comcast.net/~wirelessdj/test2.mp3
(1.46mb)

with the jog wheels modified and the outer rings REMOVED (So your fingers can spin the wheel from any direction), it is actually quite workable -- Mind you I can not scratch to save my life and I was NOT using a mixer.

I need to find some replacement plastic wheels so that I have some traction on the wheel itself!

Amazing what you are bored on a Sunday afternoon
WirelessDJ

Posted Sun 28 Nov 04 @ 11:03 pm
I think I am getting the hang of it after a some practice

http://home.comcast.net/~wirelessdj/test3.mp3
(2.6Mb)

It's hard to believe that I am doing this with a DAC-2

At the end you can hear the steps of the jog wheel, it is much more accurate than the hercules

Posted Mon 29 Nov 04 @ 12:42 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)