Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Music discussion

Topic: BiLingual Dj

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

hi i was wondering if anyone here can help out
with a pattern for my gigs
ofcorse i will not use the pattern for every gig
but i will use it for my first couple of gigs

I have a library mixed with both english and spanish

also i would like some advice on mixing 2 different genres

any good advice is always appreciated

Posted Tue 29 Jan 08 @ 10:09 am
For something like that, there is no real answer to this question. Because every audiance is going to be different just like every party is different. You have to feel out what the dominant genre is going to be and be flexible enough not to leave out the other half of the party. You may end up with a playlist of 3 vs 2 or doing it by time schedule. The result are up to you and how you read the party.

Posted Tue 29 Jan 08 @ 6:06 pm
MarilynHome userMember since 2005
With gigs, it depends on what type of crowed you have in front of you.

With mixing different genres, it can be tricky.
Look for tracks that have something that I call a locking beat.

Let’s take for example a hip hop/r&b track and a something random.
It’s all about the beat in this one.
Lets go for mixing Timberland – the way I are and mix it with Fedde le Grand ft. Ida Corr - Let Me Think About It.
Now allot of people might think it abit random.
Now if you speed up The way I are a little bit, it has abit of a electro beat, concentrate on the base and snare.
Now the end there is a little part which u can loop with the 2beat.
Loop and have ready the beat of the next track and bang it in there.
it may sound a lil slow at first, but at the break part, speed up and u can go in to a house set,

another one with hip hop types that is also good is talking intro's.
just make sure the songs fit tho one the music comes in,,
if not, back spin the last track ASAP.

I am not familiar with Spanish music.
Things you could use to mix there would be back spins, but make sure ur second song hits in with a good beat, other wise people will give you what the f*** was that look.

Pattern wise for gigs,

Start with common songs,
And try to keep people interested as much as possible.
See your self as a surfer and the crowed & music is ur wave. You have to keep a balance between the two. Once you see people leaving the floor u know your wave is breaking, and u have to gain control again.

That is how look at my gigs.

Take care

The Professor

Posted Fri 01 Feb 08 @ 3:13 pm
Dude... basically you have to know your music or listen to each song. Some songs you can beatmatch others you have to use vocal intros. Others you have to tease the intro. Also using limited affects becuase it will become tiring to constantly hear affects. learn and practice. Put a playlist together before each show.

Posted Fri 01 Feb 08 @ 6:00 pm
You also have to know your music so you know what to play for the crowd. Basically knowing what they like to listen too.

Posted Mon 04 Feb 08 @ 12:39 am
Wassup son, I'm in the same genre, Bilingual or you can call yourself a multi-talented DJ, I play pretty much of everything the majority I play is reggaeton (spanish reggae). It falls in the same line with hip-hop and dancehall music. It makes you wanna move, bopp your head or something..... I try to keep the BPM at the same level or I'll just have my crowdmover get on the mic say a couple of things and I slowly transition to my next song if it doesn't beatmatch properly. As for now I'm working on trying to put my first demo online via youtube, just for fun, so I can get some critics on it............
I'm still learning the ways of being an all around DJ........... USE THE FORCE.............

your boy LoS
one

Posted Thu 07 Feb 08 @ 3:41 pm
ok so let me rephrase
im a bi lingual dj specialize in merengue, cumbia, nortenas, reggaeton, duranguense,...
but i also specialize in rap/hip-hop/rnb

so i was wondering what would be the best way to play all or most of those genres on a 4-6+ hour night
(besides the vibe of the crowd)
is there obously a good way to cover all of then and if so then in what order
i am familiar with all of my music and i dont just buy cd's i select all my songs one by one
so can you guys help

Posted Tue 12 Feb 08 @ 8:48 pm
It really depends on the format of the location. If your location is mostly spanish speaking then you could start of with a low bpm for about 4-5 songs then move to a higher bpm and end with a very high bpm like merengue. Your transition would be a hip hop or rnb for a while. Just enough to make people happy and give a chance to get onto the floor. Then your next transition can be mixed with reggaeton which is a natural transition into the next latin vibe thats going to be played.

When mixing bilingual music and different styles of music. It's not as important to do beat mixing or affects as it is setting the tone of the room. I personally focus on energy of the room and bring the energy level higher even using different flavors of music. Remember to give people a chance to enjoy that particular style of dance usually 2-3 songs depending how the room is divided and every night could be different so you have to adjust to it.

I play 3 nights in one club and each night is different. Thursdays is Latin, Friday is top 40 with a focus on the over 30 crowd and Friday is top 40 with a focus on the younger crowd. So because I'm the dj for all 3 nights I blend my music styles because I have a following that bleeds over to the next night. I have to be creative and most importantly I have fun first.

Your natual body clock will tell you to change it up and how. But only if your intuned with the crowd. If your focus is you then your music is going to reflect it and this happens to every DJ from time to time. We may have a bad day and just want to get through the evening so music reflects it.

Bottom line: Have fun and learn to read the crowd. Sometimes you may not play a particular style which is OK.

Posted Wed 13 Feb 08 @ 2:16 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)