Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: I would like to work in America !!!

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I have recently had the opportunity to DJ in clubs in England and I do love it. Before I just played and was a mobile DJ to which I never really did much mixing!

My sister works in the carribean on cruise ships and is trying to get me on as a DJ but this may take some time.

Can anyone help me with information of how I would go about finding a job as a DJ in America???

Don't mind where (east coast would be better, miami area as it's where my sisters cruise liner docks), I just want to work away from cold, boring England. Is there DJ agencies over there.

Thanks.

Posted Mon 22 Nov 04 @ 3:09 pm
DJ CyderPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
Normally in the USA is a Five step process for the clubs

1. Get to know the scene visit all the clubs in a city within a 1 mile radius. Look for the one with down attendence or looks to be rather light for a friday night

2. Get to know the staff bartenders, wait staff become their friends. Find out the bosses name and who the club is owned by pay attention to their format. Meet the current dj and buy him a drink. Find out how he "got in"

3 Make a demo cd with tracks no longer than 3 minutes it helps to show off your mc skills by some demo drink special announcements and contests.

4. Arrange a meeting with the management (they should know who you are by now) Lunch is best and you are buying. This is where you can shine, bring up the fact that attendence is down and how you can help change that. Offer to do your first one free of charge on an off night.

5. Get a flu shot and durring the peak of flu season look for the sick dj, offer to fill in while he is ill. Ask the manager for your own night after a few of these fill ins

Mobile djs

You can look for the biggest multi op dj comany in the yellow pages and arrange a meeting with them.
hope this helps you

Posted Mon 22 Nov 04 @ 9:11 pm
Hello,

This is not to discourage you, but going to America to work is not as easy as it sounds. There is a shitload of bureaucracy you have to deal with. You have two options. One that is troublesome and legal, and another that is more risky but illegal.

If this is a temporarily commitment, you must apply for a work visa (H-2B) created to allow people to work temporarily in occupations in which there is a short supply of U.S workers. They only issue 66,000 of these per year nationwide and you have to have a U.S. Employer. I believe the application process can take up to a few months.

But I know people that work in the states under their tourist visas. They stay in the states for 3 months (which is the max. duration you can stay in the US as a tourist), work for employers who don’t mind employing you illegally and paying you a salary that is not reported to the IRS (Internal Revenue Service - Taxation). Then they go home for 3 months, and come back again. But you will be deported if they catch you. As I said, I know people that do this but I don't recommend it.

For more information go to http://www.usimmigrationagency.org or contact your country’s American Embassy.

But get in touch with American employers and DJ management companies that can help you get the snowball rolling.

- Jim Nordic

Posted Tue 23 Nov 04 @ 2:03 am
cyberiaPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I second the fact that it is hard to get a job in America, especially as a DJ. I think, being from England, you have more options open to you than, say, someone from Russia would. That said, here are your best chances for getting here:

-become a full time student at some University, and DJ on the side. Keep in mind, though, that tuition+expenses can run as high as $15,000 per year for a regular University, and double that for an Ivy League one.

-get a regular job with the company that has offices here. DJ on the side.

-travel to visit a family member and follow the advice Cyderhouse gave above on getting a paid gig. Remember, this does take time.

Anyway, the general rule is that it is a lot easier (though still hard) to get a "regular" job or become a student. Then, set your goals on becoming a DJ here.

On the second thought, if I was the DJ in England, I would not want to start over in the USA. If you want to see the country, Au Pair is an attractive alternative and the one that will surround you with women. Crap, if the pay was decent, I'd do it ;).

Mmmm, thinking back to dating an Au Pair now...

Posted Tue 23 Nov 04 @ 4:32 am
Pauljwestran:

If you can get passed all the additional security measures America has, you should be able to get a job as a DJ. Since you are from England, this shouldn’t be too much trouble. Unfortunately, many of the warmer climates where you desire to reside in America tend to be the more expensive areas to live. I live in the Los Angeles area, which is very expensive.

You will have to do some research on the cost of living for the area where you want to live. To make the transition easier, consider living with a family or a friend that resides in a location that you are considering to live. You’ll also probably have to get a job in another occupation until you can find a DJ job.

Here are some west coast locations for DJ’s to live:

1. Los Angeles Area—very expensive

2. Los Vegas— inexpensive

3. Orange County Area—very expensive

4. Riverside Area—moderately expensive

5. San Bernardino Area—moderately expensive

6. San Diego Area—very expensive

7. San Francisco Area—very expensive

Here are a few of the DJ opportunities that you should find in the above locations:

1. Radio stations (this is the best)

2. Clubs

3. Mobile DJ businesses

4. Start your own mobile DJ business

If you can get own a radio station in a large metropolitan area, you will have a lot of other opportunities open up to you. Many of the well-known clubs like radio DJ’s because these DJ’s usually announce to their listening audience that they will be DJing at a particular club.

I had two radio programs on the same radio station before. I had to make a demo mix and send it to the program director. Since the radio station already had a program similar to what I wanted to do, I had to present a program that was a little different. You basically have to market yourself to the radio stations because there are a lot of DJ’s here. Try marketing yourself as an international DJ since you are from England. If you want to get a club job, make some video of yourself in action. Seeing has more of an impact than hearing.

Use this web site to locate radio stations in the area that you want to live:

http://www.radio-locator.com/

This site might help you with getting a club job:

www.clubs.com

OO

Posted Sun 28 Nov 04 @ 7:56 pm
I need to clarify the following reply located in my above post [clarification is in brackets]:

"To make the transition easier, consider living with a family [member] or a friend that resides in a location [where] you are considering to live."

"If you can get [on] a radio station in a large metropolitan area..."

OO

Posted Sun 28 Nov 04 @ 8:22 pm
Double O: “If you want to get a club job, make some video of yourself in action. Seeing has more of an impact than hearing.”

The Corporate staff video of DJ GetDown getting down is a good example of what I mean Pauljwestran. If you haven’t seen it, then take a look:

http://www.virtualdj.com/forum/display.html?topic=8261&page=1

If you decide to make a video/DVD of yourself for American clubs, consider using footage of yourself DJing in a club. Make sure you show people having a good time while you mix and interact with them.

I also forgot to mention that the west coast does have some inexpensive areas to live. However, although you can live in these areas cheap, you might not live that long…lol

OO

Posted Mon 29 Nov 04 @ 9:28 am
VJ_EchoPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Forget America :) bring your pounds and come to South Africa, with Pounds you can live like a KING here! Hit Cape Town, Durban or Johanesburg (I suggest Cape Town or Durban) Clubs, Girls, Good Weather and so much more!!!

Posted Mon 29 Nov 04 @ 11:46 am
South Africa seems like a very interesting place.

OO

Posted Mon 29 Nov 04 @ 8:55 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)