Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: macbook pro vs imac - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

one of the reasons i havent go to a laptop yet is the size of the screen. i do like my 19" moniter that i stear at day in and day out.
but laptops dont have these sizes with out paying a 8000 price but i was on the apple web page and seen the imacs and the searched around here and the only one that i found that had one was skyflx. as far as specs go it looks good to me and the price isnt that far off what the macbook pro is going for with a bigger screen and more drive space so i ask you all that are in the know am i right in the thinking that i ave stated or where did i go wrong

thanks for the info
rockintalkin, soon to be a mac user i do belive

Posted Mon 03 Dec 07 @ 8:54 pm
Yeah rockinrossco, the iMac is a great choice! ;)

The lower 20" is great, but I personally would spend the little bit more to get the mid level iMac with twice the VRam (256Mb).

I'm probably gonna be going with that set-up in '08 AND using a touchscreen overlay (just waiting for 20" 16:10 aspect ratio that will fit the iMac) so that I don't have to deal with a keyboard and mouse. ;)

- VT ConQuest
(Visual Turntablist)

Posted Mon 03 Dec 07 @ 10:16 pm
DJ CyderPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2003
You might change your mind if you see the 17 inch mbp in glossy hi res.

Posted Mon 03 Dec 07 @ 10:30 pm
DJ Cyder wrote :
You might change your mind if you see the 17 inch mbp in glossy hi res.

Yeah, maybe Cyder. I didn't know you had gotten the 1920 x 1200 HD option on your MBP.

NICE!

As Rune would say... hehe ;)

Posted Mon 03 Dec 07 @ 11:50 pm
d-v-intPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Hi-Rez MBP is same as a 20" Mac Display desktop real-estate wise.

I love my 24" imac and if I'm at home its my preferred computer to use but to be honest you cannot beat the multifuctions that a laptop provides imo. I have a 1st gen MBP 15" and I find there is more than enough room for VDJ and its fine even for using photoshop/illustrator etc. so I'd Imagine a Hi-Rez 17" would be bliss.

I'd go for the matt screen though if you are planning to use it for any graphical work (photoshop etc.) as the glossy screen while excellent for movies does not give you proper representation of the colours you are using.

Posted Tue 04 Dec 07 @ 4:23 am
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
the glossy is good for dark enviroments however :)

or on the flipside sunny outdoor events
its easier to read , and view your videos

helps me at gigs

Posted Tue 04 Dec 07 @ 4:45 am
d-v-intPRO InfinityMember since 2004
skyfxl wrote :
the glossy is good for dark enviroments however :)

or on the flipside sunny outdoor events
its easier to read , and view your videos

helps me at gigs
I find the matt better for both outdoor and indoor gigs because you don not get glare from the sun or lights.

Oh and just a note, I'd hang on until late Jan-Feb before buying as intel have a new mobile chip coming out which will be available in Jan 08 and may be announced at macworld expo as an upgrade to the MBP line.

I'm selling my Macbook now to get the dosh to upgrade to a new 17" MBP then.

Posted Tue 04 Dec 07 @ 5:06 am
oryxPRO InfinityMember since 2004
MacBook 13'3 and dvi....to a wider screen...
not very cost effective but usefull at home and at gigs

Posted Tue 04 Dec 07 @ 12:31 pm
glossy looks pretty good to me an all situations.

Posted Tue 04 Dec 07 @ 12:55 pm
DJ Cyder wrote :
glossy looks pretty good to me an all situations.

Sounds like someone's in love with their new MBP. =P

We had MacBooks displayed right next to matte MacBook Pro's and you could definitely see that any lights in the background were seen a LOT easier with the glossy screen MacBooks. It quickly became THE biggest concern for people when purchasing between the two, so much so that many people ended up deciding to upgrade to a MBP "because of the screen.... of course, I often felt like they were just using that as the main justification just so that they could get an MBP.

There's no doubt though that the colors are a LOT more vibrant with the glossy screen, and also yes, if you're going to be doing graphics and layout (which are going to be printed) with a glossy screen, you would want to use a calibrator to get accurate representations of what your output is actually going to look like.

Posted Tue 04 Dec 07 @ 1:10 pm
well i was thinking of going for the 24" and the 2 gigs of ram maybe 4 if i can do it myself and do it cheaper and the 500 gig hd and thats what they make externals for seen here
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/9934002/wo/A02EDNrAk1Zf2SOh2PpwpBpQ2pr/2.?p=0
but i will probbly run windows on bootcamp for a while till i get used to the mac

inviroment ( gee only if i didnt spend 2 years in windows finding all this other stuff out

and just get a mac, well at least now i can do both) and a few things are able to be

converted into mac avalible such as the jboggis mapper for the dmc2 and a few other

things. but one thing that does concern me is all my music is in mp3 file format and some

of the videos that ive aquired are in vob and mp4 i think will i be able to transfer stuff

from the computer that i have now (using as a server only to hold all the suff i have and

spread out things to the other computers on the network (4 total wife and kids).

now granted the NEW mac that i get will be as good as i can get and i do think that the

imac is a good choise for me (and i do hope it have the power needed to do mix and

scratch video) but will i be able to transfer all the stuff (useing an external hard drive) to

the mac (only vdj and some editing stuff but never on net) and i have no experiance with

vista and i thought about put that on and maybe xp as a true dual boot kind of thing if its possible

Posted Tue 04 Dec 07 @ 2:47 pm
and what about hooking it to the printer and (my network only and not the inernet) and all the other gagets and gismos do i have to by for mac or are most swing both ways
eg:printers, usb hubs, external hard drives network routers and every other little thing we al have running around us and our computers be them mac or the other
i know that my printer is hooked to the wifes pc and i hit it though the router and since it was on the network well u all should no how that all works and can i add stuff like an expantion slot on the normal way kind of think like more usb slots
hope im not being to big of a azz by asking all these ????

Posted Tue 04 Dec 07 @ 4:23 pm
The iMac's are amazing computers but I have not much experience with the new models and VDJ. I am thinking or getting the 24" with the 2.8 extreme and a Tera hardrive (for video). Prob is my 17" Macbook Pro 2.33 (3 gb ram) works amazing with VDJ. To be warned though...I did have the 2.4 santa rosa model Macbook Pro and had some problems with it. I didn't like the video card when booted in XP. Maybe was a driver issue but needless to say the computer got returned and I went back the the 2.33 with the ATI card.

A little more advice. Check out this page. They are usually right on for when to purchase.

Posted Wed 05 Dec 07 @ 9:45 am
2.6 santa rosa here no video card problems with vista actually scored pretty high for graphics. VDJ works pretty well on both sides for actually.

Posted Wed 05 Dec 07 @ 10:02 am
2.6? I didn't know they made a model higher than the 2.4 on the Macbook Pro line yet...The problems that I had with the 2.4 and the NVIDIA card were when running XP via Bootcamp. It stuttered alot in VDJ and when editing in Sony Vegas. In VDJ I would get a slight video pause when loading video files.

Posted Wed 05 Dec 07 @ 3:49 pm
they make a 2.6 version for awhile now, its a 250 dollar option check at the apple store. Anyways it could of been your problems were xp related because the video card in the MPB is really for dx10 to run at full power. Thats another reason I choose to install vista over xp on this one.

Posted Thu 06 Dec 07 @ 7:42 am
Yeah, it's a BTO (build to order) option C5 that's only available through Apple's online store.

BTO options are usually not that big of a deal with the entry or mid-level model Macs, but often have some really nice option for the highest end model (like Cyder's HD option). Many times, if someone decides to order a BTO, they go ahead and take advantage of other BTO options as well (like Cyder's processor upgrade).

Apple simplifies it's model names (eg. no model HP-DV6662SE vs. Toshiba M65-S9063... lol!) and streamlines it's product line, usually with the 3 model line-up (good, better, best) knowing that most customers will more often than not "upgrade" to the middle model from the lower model, which then makes it a short upsell jump to the high end model for some. The middle model is the "goal" though, but you'll usually always find 3 available in store (except for the Mac Pro towers where the middle model is the in store model and the lower and higher end models are BTO).

Posted Thu 06 Dec 07 @ 2:56 pm
yealp i jsut seen the mac pro tower and did a trial run to see what it would cost to put all the cool stuff in it ( no software other that leperad) and it was $15,000 and no thats not a mis print but if you got it you wouldn't have to up grade till 2020 and maybe father on with 3terabytes of space and 16 gigs of ram and 2- 3ghz prosesers and several 512 video cards well i dont thing that a soully window based could be made to order at that price and avaibity but then again i only now about 100th of 1%of what out there so there ya go

Posted Thu 06 Dec 07 @ 3:05 pm
after some thnking im not to sure that the imac will suite me.
1 wheres the cooling system (granted theres not any on the laptop either)
2 no user changeable parts inside other than the ram
3 have to send it to a apple person to change out any part should they ever go bad
4 well the heat thing still bothers me (may have to make a fiberglass cass to fit around it and put some fans on it to suck off the heat off the back)

Posted Thu 06 Dec 07 @ 5:28 pm
Intel iMacs overheating is not, and never has been a problem.

There are fans in the iMac, but they are whisper quiet. Also, the way that Apple designed the iMac, the entire unit itself dissipates heat, right down to the aircraft grade, anodized aluminum frame.

There are elaborate cooling systems in the Mac Pro towers (quad & octa core processor systems), but this is not necessary in the Core Duo iMacs. If this were an issue, with as many Intel iMacs that sell, we all would have heard something by now.

If you're really that concerned about the fans, then download this free, easy to use utility called SMC Fan Control: http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/23049

Also, yes, the iMac is a LOT more like a notebook when it comes to user replaceable parts. As far as the issue of having to send it (or take it to an Apple Store/authorized service facility) for repair, one of the reasons that lots of people switch to Macs from windows computers is because Macs (proportionally) have a LOT less problems overall (OS, software, hardware, etc.).

That's also one of the reasons that Apple is one (if not THE) only major computer manufacturer who has kept it's tech support facilities in it's home country of the U.S. Apple doesn't incur the huge amount of tech support issues and costs associated with them because they sell quality computers to begin with.

Posted Thu 06 Dec 07 @ 6:12 pm
91%