Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Advice on Mac Laptops please

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

jimmy bPRO InfinityMember since 2007

My first post in the Mac Forum, cool.

Thinking about changing codes and getting a new Mac lappy in the new year. My choice is either a top spec Toshiba, which runs windows of course or a Mac.

I haven't ran a Mac before and I want some info on what sort of spec I need to look at or what models.

I don't do video yet, just audio at the moment. But I'll will be doing it in the New year.

Need some advice please.

Jimmy b

Posted Mon 03 Dec 07 @ 11:39 am
DJ CyderPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2003
Jimmy

check out my blog, I just got mine today, installing xp tonight of course i'll have new picures in my blog soon

Posted Mon 03 Dec 07 @ 11:57 am
spinnaJPRO InfinityMember since 2004
@Jimmy

If u just doing audio, macbook is enuff.. hehe. mine is a macbook n it werk well on audio so far.. i also do use video on it, n what i can say it werk better than my lappy ones, at least this doesn't freeze:P. But of course macbook pro is better:)

I use mac osx not bootcamp for vdj.

Click here to see my macbook specs

p.s: Mine is a generation 1 series, nowadays the macbook are more powerful.

Posted Mon 03 Dec 07 @ 12:23 pm
Cheers guys.

Looked at both of your blogs, Some nice family photos in there Cyder.

The only thing that concerns me about Macs is that once you have brought one, are then stuck with that spec or are they easy to upgrade like what window based pc and lappy's are.

Need some more info please guys and links.

I live in the UK so I'll prob get ripped off on the price.

Jimmy b

Posted Mon 03 Dec 07 @ 2:38 pm
well as far as putting ram in its pretty easy, the new macbooks make hard drive replacement easy as well. look at the specs on a macbook video card and proc its already outclassed many other laptops in the same price range. The 17in macbook display (hi-res) has to be the best laptop video display I've ever seen. You just can't describe it you have to see it. Its no a bummer for me to go back to my 19in desktop display. I also hit the jackpot with no stuck pixels at all.

Posted Mon 03 Dec 07 @ 3:19 pm
dydy1PRO InfinityMember since 2006
Spinnaj, looking at your blog I saw your stanton turntables. Can you tell me what model are they and are they good for scratching?

Posted Mon 03 Dec 07 @ 4:33 pm
DJ Cyder wrote :
Jimmy

check out my blog, I just got mine today, installing xp tonight of course i'll have new picures in my blog soon

(from Cyders blog)
DJ Cyder wrote :
Well I finally did it, something I said I would never do. I got my first Macbook Pro...

Never say never. ;)

GLAD TO HAVE YOU IN THE MAC COMMUNITY CYDER! =)

- VT ConQuest
(Visual Turntablist)

Posted Mon 03 Dec 07 @ 9:07 pm
jimmy b wrote :
I haven't ran a Mac before and I want some info on what sort of spec I need to look at or what models.

I don't do video yet, just audio at the moment. But I'll will be doing it in the New year.

Need some advice please.

Jimmy b

It's simple jimmy b.

ANY MacBook Pro will work GREAT with VDJ's visual capabilities. Of course the higher end, the better.

I did a 13 hour visual mixing marathon this past Saturday running VDJ in vista on my 1st generation MacBook Pro with a 128MB VRAM ATI X1600 video card and 2GB's of RAM. My MacBook is a year and a half old.

The things that you'll have to look forward to even with the lowest end MacBook Pro today compared to my lowest end MBP of back then is 64-bit processing (vs 32-bit), 800Mhz Frontside Bus (vs 667), wireless-N support (vs wireless-G), support for 4GB's ram (vs 2 GB's), option of glossy or matte finish display (vs matte only), energy saving/life extending backlit LED displays (vs LCD), GDDR3 VRam (vs DDR2), and more... all at the same price!

Remember what I told you in the other thread in General Discussion and that you said that you've even heard said by others (I've been SHOUTING it since I started working at Xerox in early 2001 and before starting to work for Apple in late 2002), "you're computer is only as strong as it's weakest link, and far too often the weakest link with windows computers is windows itself, NOT the hardware manufacturer (although cheap junk like dell's low end "bargain bin" disposable computers which is a market Apple doesn't care to - much less have to - compete in kind of confuses that argument."

Posted Mon 03 Dec 07 @ 9:26 pm
dydy1 wrote :
Spinnaj, looking at your blog I saw your stanton turntables. Can you tell me what model are they and are they good for scratching?

dydy1, i use t60 n t80 which the latter is my favourite among the two. Abt the scratching, it is good (if not the best) as long as u koe the technique..hehe,, but still the t80 aka digital direct drive turntable is the one that have better response than the t60:). And also i use them for TCV. It also depend on the needles tho;)

Posted Mon 03 Dec 07 @ 9:32 pm
heres some food for thought.

I installed vista on my mbp tonight and wow. Vista performance ratings

Processor Calculations per second - 5.4

Memory Ram - 5.1

Graphics desktop performance for windows areo - 5.9

Gaming Graphics - 5.5

Primary Hard disk - 5.2

Some pretty impressive numbers the mpb is laying down in vista, this is comparable to my full rack system. Needless to say its great learning a new os that actually makes more sense then windows (still trying to figure out the whole dmg thing) but really the learning curve wasn't as bad as I thought. Windows still has Mac beat when it comes to VDJ but I expect that to change soon.

I got a respectable 3.5 hours out of the first charge on the battery not too bad really considering. I was a little disapointed in the ram score as apple is supposed to pick the best ram out there after all we are talking about a 4,000 dollar laptop when its all said and done. However as the first day draws to a close, I'm finding myself spending more time in leopard then vista.

One of the biggest challenges a pc user faces in the mac is the fact you close windows on the left side instead of the right side, I find my mouse over there to nothingness. Also another thing is the three finger click takes some getting used to, I've dubbed it the tripod click ;)

btw blog pics updated.

Posted Mon 03 Dec 07 @ 10:23 pm

Some great info there guys, cheers.

I want to get Christmas over with, then i'll be lookin.

Thanks

Jimmy b

Posted Mon 03 Dec 07 @ 11:42 pm
Wow! =O

I feel like hell hath frozen over with Cyder re-enforcing some of the key points I've been making for a year and a half on these forums. =P

Nonetheless, I'm glad you're onboard with the Mac movement now Jason. ;)

As far as how vista (I know your benhmarks are with xp Cyder) runs on a Mac via Boot Camp, there's a reason that I started this thread a month ago:

PC Magazine: The fastest Windows Vista notebook we've tested this year is a Mac.

"Try that again: The fastest Windows Vista notebook we've tested this year--or for that matter, ever--is a Mac. Not a Dell, not a Toshiba, not even an Alienware. The $2419 (plus the price of a copy of Windows Vista, of course) MacBook Pro's PC WorldBench 6 Beta 2 score of 88 beats Gateway's E-265M by a single point, but the MacBook's score is far more impressive simply because Apple couldn't care less whether you run Windows."

http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/79964/MAC_Version_Technical_Support/PC_Magazine__The_fastest_Windows_Vista_notebook_we_ve_tested_this_year_is_a_Mac_.html?highlight=fastest%20vista%20mac

Posted Tue 04 Dec 07 @ 12:04 am
I dunno about the whole mac movement thing per say. I've always be a numbers person, and the numbers are quite impressive. I started to install xp and thought well I'd love to see how this 8600M GT graphics processor with dual-link DVI support and 256MB of GDDR3 SDRAM would do in vista with DX10, so I quickly installed vista to see. After the disappointment of the whole ram thing I moved on to installing apps. Vista will more then likely stay on this computer, unless I have no reason to use windows anymore. Tomorrows testing will involve pushing the video out to the max, should be fun.

Posted Tue 04 Dec 07 @ 12:33 am
DJ Spinnaj, thank you for the infos on the Stanton T.60 and the T.80. What needle do you use for them, and what mixer do you use?

Posted Tue 04 Dec 07 @ 4:28 am
Currently i use the default one v500 series which i find it ok for basic use n when i use timecodes or played at a gig i use discmaster II. I using the old stanton series mixer the smx 401 (a 3 channel mixer). Now renamed as stanton 304 if i not wrong;)

Are u planning on timescodes vinyl?

Cheers.

Posted Tue 04 Dec 07 @ 5:39 am
Yes Spinnaj, I am Planning on adding timescodes vinyl. I am trying to get all the infos I can get.

Posted Tue 04 Dec 07 @ 9:57 am
Nice to hear that dydy1:)

I think its best u open a new thread abt this when u are ready to add TCV.. and ask opinion n info abt turntables/tcv using with mac version. I sure conquest (turntablist) n others will give u more info on good selection of direct drive TT,catriges and good tcv setting and what they use, thus u can have more info.

To me the "stantons" (espeacially the t80) have serve me well to date:)

Cheers

P.S Sorry to jimmy for all this thread jacking:P

Posted Tue 04 Dec 07 @ 10:39 am
No worries spinnaJ, all friends here, :)

@DJ Cyder,

I like you new toy. I was looking at one of those bad boys at the weekend, bloody awesome mate.

Jimmy b

Posted Tue 04 Dec 07 @ 11:13 am
spinnaJ wrote :
I sure conquest (turntablist) n others will give u more info on good selection of direct drive TT,catriges and good tcv setting and what they use, thus u can have more info.

As far as direct drive TT's, I like Numark's TT-200's.

As for needles, I like Ortofon's and Shure M44-7's.

TCV settings? I haven't really messed with them other than to fix the jumping pitch issue which my have been resolved already.

But now that we have DJ Cyder in our Mac community, he would be a great resource on this matter since he's the one who develops VDJ/VV TCV's!

spinnaJ wrote :
P.S Sorry to jimmy for all this thread jacking:P

Yes, sorry about that jimmy b.

I was just surprised to see Cyder in the Mac forums to begin with, and even more surprised to see that he bought one! =)

Posted Tue 04 Dec 07 @ 1:20 pm

It's fine ConQuest.

There might be another one joining in the New Year aswell,

MEEEEEEEEEE.

Need to see what my financially adviser ( my girlfriend ) says first, LOL

Jimmy b

Posted Tue 04 Dec 07 @ 1:32 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)