Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Gains

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Ok, I made a 1 hour mix using PC v5rev 5 (I'm on a mac with bootcamp), and had a question about gains.

This might sound noob, but does VDJ have a feature to increase and decrease the gain automatically? (as the songs change)

I tried to keep a consistent volume throughout the mix, but many of the tracks had a variance in volume. I may have a little to learn about manual gain control on my numark dm1050, but in the meantime, does Virtual DJ do it for you?

Thanks,
DJ RPG

Posted Thu 29 Nov 07 @ 9:07 pm
jimmy bPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Yes you can Ryan,

If you go in the config of vdj, I don't know which tab it is in, I'm at work at the moment on my works pc, but anyway look for Auto Gain I think and you want to set it as Always 0db.

This setting should keep your volume of both decks at the same level, sorry I can't be more precise where to find it. I'll have a look when I get home.

Jimmy b

Posted Fri 30 Nov 07 @ 12:37 am
thats what I did to record the mix, but I had a lot of weird volume fluctuations (bad on my part) I think that just sets it to 0. What if your tracks are different volumes to begin with?

Doesn't seem to me like that specific feature would help, unless I screwed with the volume to much by watching the levels on my dm1050.

Posted Fri 30 Nov 07 @ 12:40 am
erxonPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Ryan2288 wrote :
I think that just sets it to 0. What if your tracks are different volumes to begin with?

You misunderstood. VDj analyzes the RMS (or "Root Mean Square" - overall level of a signal)
of every track, and gives it it's own volume value. Than when you choose the "alway 0db"
option, it sets all tracks to the same analyzed value at it's "0db" (so they "should" be the same).

But where VDj fails is it analyzes the RMS of the whole track, so when you have a song that
has more soft parts, it will have a lower analyzed RMS volume than the song with the same
RMS on loudest parts with more "punchy" parts. And another part where VDj fails - you can't
set that value manually. Bottom line: you can't fully rely on auto-gain.

Anyway, tracks are mastered differently, so you should always adjust eqs to get similiar spectrum
so that the difference in mix isn't too big. All in all, when you get a grip on those things, you
don't need a software to do that (and it's not fun when the software does everything). :)

Posted Fri 30 Nov 07 @ 2:06 am
spinnaJPRO InfinityMember since 2004
erxon wrote :

Bottom line: you can't fully rely on auto-gain.
Anyway, tracks are mastered differently, so you should always adjust eqs to get similiar spectrum
so that the difference in mix isn't too big. :)

That is right;)

Posted Fri 30 Nov 07 @ 7:36 am
what i have found to work well is instead of using the crossfader on the mixer i use the channel fader and i can raise and lower the volume as needed without having to only partway crossfader and may run into the problem of the song bleeding though with the crossfader only 3/4 way frossfaded to keep the volumes equal
i hope tis make since to everyone its alot easier to do than it sounds
as 0db is good this makes it alll the better as you can manually agust it and no ones the wiser.
well theres my two cents

Posted Fri 30 Nov 07 @ 3:05 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)