Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: BPM engine Beta 3

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I was wondering if anyone eles has had similar issue with the bpm engine. even with it set to other music and not techno it still is saying some songs like akon and sean kingston are like 180 bpm???????????????
Any one eles scene this beause its really annoying.

Posted Fri 23 Nov 07 @ 5:18 pm
Yes, I have the same problem with some tracks. The technology behind calculating the bpm's is not perfect. VV does it's best to calculate the correct bpm but for whatever reason it can't quite nail it. Sometimes it's because the track is a little too syncopated, other times it's because the beat is not prominent enough. And other times it's because the beat is outside of the "1,2,3,4" convention; Dance Hall reggae is a good example of this, the kick and the snare are seen as a bit wonky in the eyes of the software (even though our brain has the ability to make sense of it in 4/4 time). And sometimes there is no explanation. Although I think you'll find the software does a very good job at calculating bpm's and the beat grid for house/techno/dance etc. What it comes down to is that you need to manually calculate the bpm's for all the "out-of-whack" tracks yourself. Mind you, I don't think you would have to do this for ALL your tracks, just the ones you play often. Besides, one should never rely too heavily on selecting tracks by having them all laid out for them by bmp, any good DJ will have in the back of their head what tracks mix well together (although there is an advantage to not having to think about it at times). Me personally, if the bpm's seem to display as correct then BONUS, if not then I rely on my knowledge of my tracks to make my next selection. I haven't bothered to change the improperly calculated bpm tracks simply because with the current 4.3 Mac version of VV the bpm tap button often misses a beat and resets the bar count, or crashes the program altogether, and a crash is not something i'd like to risk in the middle of a set in front of a crowd. BTW, if any of the developers happen to be reading this, the formentioned problem with the "beat-tap" function still exists in the 5.0 Beta 3 version. Will this be resolved in the final version?

Posted Fri 23 Nov 07 @ 7:30 pm
Dizzy

Please go in further on the exact function opf the beat tap button. Im curious

Also, im concerned as to why VDJ has a known BPM engine problem where other programs i have been testing do not have a single issue counting the beat?
I mean i can put a cd in one of the trays and have ti read the bpm no problem at all, so why cant VDJ do it?

Posted Sat 24 Nov 07 @ 12:04 am
The beat tap button is within the bpm editor window. It functions the same as a beat tap button on a CDJ, you tap in the beat (1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4) and the software averages out the bpm based on your taps and then tafs the track with the bpm. You can also calculate the bpm by setting anchorsif you're intent on utilizing the functions of the beat grid but tapping it in is the easiest and quickest way.

Posted Sat 24 Nov 07 @ 12:37 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)