Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: BPM and sync seem to be off

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hey guys. I am evaluating a copy of Virtual DJ prior to purchasing. I am noticing that when I try to mix some classic disco, the BPMs are sometimes off and most of the time, the syncing of beats is not accurate. Old disco is the easiest of music to mix, but so far, I am dissappointed in the softwares performance.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to invest a lot of time into this if it is not going to work as advertised. Aside from this issue, I am really impressed with the package. I can see it included in my setup.

Thanks in advance.

Posted Tue 20 Nov 07 @ 2:43 pm
kkorposPRO InfinityMember since 2007
You've got to be kidding?

Old disco is the hardest music to mix as it was before the time of sequencers and software. The drums were cut live, which means that inevitably the beats per minute drift. For this reason, I would think that this is one of the hardest chores for VDJ to handle.....

Posted Tue 20 Nov 07 @ 5:40 pm
ALI11CUE userMember since 2006
Yea i had this problem too with old disco thats when you have to use your dj skills and use the pitch bend to speed up or slow down the song right before you bring in your mix!!

Posted Tue 20 Nov 07 @ 6:46 pm
erxonPRO InfinityMember since 2003
MG Productions wrote :
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Don't rely on auto-bpm. Saying that live-recorded variable-tempo old-disco
is easy to mix makes you far superior than any dj software will be for the next
few years ;)

Posted Tue 20 Nov 07 @ 9:19 pm
I agree with the folks here. Old disco and funk were played by musicians and not sequencers or beat boxes - harder to mix than the modern stuff 4 sure ;)

tweaking and throwing it into the mix promptly is good advice

Posted Wed 21 Nov 07 @ 7:10 pm
Or the good old fashioned chop mix.

Posted Thu 22 Nov 07 @ 9:45 am
piggstaHome userMember since 2007
I have the same problem for all of my music it does not read then bpm correctly and when it says it is synced it is not synced please give me your advice.

Thank You!

Posted Sat 24 Nov 07 @ 5:27 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)