Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: External Hard Drives Not Showing Up In Config/Browser/Database/Drive [SOLVED]

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Another one for 5.0 REV 5
VDJ can't find any of my external hard drives. I go into the config menu, open browser, look for the tab in the database area, click on the drop down menu portion, and the external hard drives will not come up. Hard Drive "C" is the only hard drive that will come up in the drop down box. All my hard drives are on and were pluged in before start up... This makes no sense. I have restarted the program and computer many times with no fix to this issue. I have also re-downloaded the full-install of 5.0 REV 5 twice with no fix.

Posted Mon 05 Nov 07 @ 10:05 am
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
On your external drives - is there a VirtualDJ Local Database v5.xml file in the root of the drives ?

If not then that is why they are not listed in the drop-down.

Posted Mon 05 Nov 07 @ 4:08 pm
No, I did not know I needed to put a file on my hard drive to make it read in Virtual DJ. I never needed to do that in the past in 4.3... Please let me know how to go about this. Thank you very much for the quick reply and good information.

Posted Mon 05 Nov 07 @ 11:24 pm
No you don't personally put it there. Please check to see if it exists, if not report back.

Posted Tue 06 Nov 07 @ 4:35 pm
IT IS THERE, I didn't think it would be after what you said but it is definately there. It is called " Virtual DJ Local Database V5 ". What should I do next?

Posted Wed 07 Nov 07 @ 1:29 am
What is it's file size ?

And if you go to the My Computer on the left navigation panel and click the + symbol do your external drives show up in that list ?

And if they do, what happens after you right click on your listed external drive and choose to 'Add to Search DB'

Posted Wed 07 Nov 07 @ 6:21 am
The Virtual DJ Local Database V5 File is 10.7 MB. My Hard Drive has a total of 522 GB of Combined Music and Video Files. When I go into the left navigation panel and click the + symbol all of my external drives do show up. When I right click and choose " add to search database " the files load in very quickly with no problems.

Posted Wed 07 Nov 07 @ 7:22 pm
And you are positive that in the Config - Browser tab you do not see your external drive when you click on the drop-down ???

Posted Wed 07 Nov 07 @ 8:09 pm
Yes, Absolutely positive... I can send screen shots if it will let me save while the drop down box is showing... But.... just so you know, stick drives do actually show up which is interesting =)

Posted Wed 07 Nov 07 @ 8:36 pm
That is interesting. So it's just that 1 drive? Try this if you are up to it. Rename the database file on that drive. Launch VDJ and add the files to the search DB again. This will create a NEW database file. Now check does the drive show up ? Nothing will be analyzed, but you have the original file renamed as a backup.

Posted Thu 08 Nov 07 @ 1:04 am
I tried the process a couple times with no luck. It is happening on all 3 of my external hard drives except 1 of them. So I tried renaming the V5 Database Files exactly as it is named on my hard drive that does show up which had "VirtualDJ" together with no space in between "Virtual" and "DJ" but that did not work either... any other tricks I can try? Thanks again for the help.

Posted Thu 08 Nov 07 @ 7:01 pm
Well the correct naming of the files is -- VirtualDJ Local Database v5.xml -- NO SPACE in the VirtualDJ, so make sure they are all named as such.
The one in your MyDocuments -> VirtualDJ folder is -- VirtualDJ Database v5.xml -- Again, NO SPACE.

Also, is this XP or Vista ?

Posted Fri 09 Nov 07 @ 2:07 am
It's hilarious that you just asked me that question because this morning I realized that the external hard drives that refuse to show up in my Brand New Laptop ARE showing up in my old laptop using the same virtual dj serial number.... My new laptop runs on Vista ( which has worked flawlessly by the way until now ) and my old laptop uses XP. So is it safe to say this is a Vista Issue ? If so, is there a fix ?

Posted Fri 09 Nov 07 @ 6:23 pm
Make sure you set the permissions for each XML file so Everyone has FULL Control or FULL Access. Also, turn off all the User Access Control stuff.

You can search the Microsoft Knowledge Base for instructions on both for Vista.

Posted Fri 09 Nov 07 @ 7:15 pm
I HAVE GREAT NEWS !!!!! Your advice totally worked! I am going to make step by step directions for the average dj like myself to fix this situation in the future, and post it. Thank you sooooo much !

Posted Fri 09 Nov 07 @ 10:14 pm
Glad you got it sorted:)

Posted Sat 10 Nov 07 @ 10:08 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)