Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Would Like to Buy VDJ but have a few questions pls help

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hello all I'm dave and I would like to say first I'm in love with this pruduct and hopefully intend on becoming a user one day but..... I have a few questions before I make my choice so pls all you pros answer my questions while my wife still has my back :)...

First this is just for home use and maybe if I get any good a small house party for friends and such

well after weeks and months of searching all the forums and gathering all the info about various products I wanted to tru a setup like this

1 Laptop(model still in question)
2 VDJ of course and 2 xp10s
3 small powered monitor speakers
4 external firewire drive
4 mixer (heres the tricky part) I'm totally for the digital dj I wanted to try out the X-session

sooooo sorry for the long post but now the question(whew finally you say :)) will/could this be a decent setup?. If so how would I hook the xp10s and speakers (i'm thinking/guessing audio interface pre amp am I right?)

next question(dang another one? :)) If this setup works given my laptop has sufficient memory usb and firewire ports and tweaking xp could I run all this with no hiccups or latency.

I think thats all for now(yay hes done :)) I look foward to hearing your responses and thanks in advance

Posted Sun 07 Nov 04 @ 11:00 pm
deltaKPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Hella better than my setup, so it should be great!
I'm still saving for the XP10's myself.

δk

Posted Mon 08 Nov 04 @ 12:41 am
your setup will work fine ;)
make sure you get a laptop with atleast 512mb ram, and p4 processor, for best performace :)

Posted Mon 08 Nov 04 @ 2:09 pm
djzeroPRO InfinityMember since 2003
and without shared video ram (meaning using the system memory for video memory)

Posted Mon 08 Nov 04 @ 2:12 pm
Hi Junebug,

Check my profile.. it works flawless runs like lightning.

but what i don't understand, you want to use an X-session mixer? i have visited http://www.evolution.co.uk/products/evo_xsession.htm to see what kind of mixer it is.

i think it is some sort of effects/device/mixer, usable as an addon to your setup, but not useable to mix 1 song into another i'm afraid. say if it is for DJ-mixing tracks, i don't think VDJ is compatible to this new toy, as it is controled by USB.

why not getting a normal, analog, reliable mixer with 2 or 3 channels with treble, mid and bass knobs on it.

that's all you need.. besides VDJ has effects on it's own and also support for VST-plugins (and there are ALOT of VST-effects available!) so i really don't understand why you would need an x-session mixer.

Posted Tue 09 Nov 04 @ 11:33 am
on the other hand, take a look at this url:
http://www.interstateaudio.nl/numark/numark.htm

and find the Numark DXM01 usb mixer. As far as i know, it acts as 2 seperated USB-soundcards.. so VDJ will see 2 soundcards, you mix them digitally on your mixer (without any noise 24 bit) and put them thru to the usb output and even record your mix digitally on the same pc.

i think that mixer would be more valuable to your setup than the other one (X-session) if you insist to use a digital mixer.

Posted Tue 09 Nov 04 @ 12:02 pm
thanks for all your replies folks. Cannonball I really wasnt sure about the x-session and youre right by the way. The concept behind my thinking was to totally eliminate the need for keyboard oh the troubles I still havnt found my laptop and Im ready to shop anyone have any thoughts on the AMD Sempron(ya know better than a celeron but not quite a p4)??? pls help im going to the store tomorrow

Posted Wed 10 Nov 04 @ 1:57 am
djzeroPRO InfinityMember since 2003
DJCannonball: the X-session is a midi controller very similar to the UC-33 with a cross fader built in, it should work fine and it is made by the same company.

Posted Thu 11 Nov 04 @ 6:00 am
djejPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Can't speak to some of the other peripherals but from a laptop standpoint. 512 Ram is key and make sure it has room for expansion. The program eats RAM. I run it on a pentium 3 and a AMD (not positive of the details). Go to BESTBUY.com. I just bought the cheap Compaq with 512 ram, AMD processor. I use it for home as well and have had no problems with either. If you get deep into it, you're going to want more RAM. I just bought another 512, so I'm running 1024. It really only affects me when I'm using large MP3 files or if you have other programs running or are using loop, effects and samples. It's a great program, you'll love it.

Posted Tue 23 Nov 04 @ 11:59 pm
DJ RickPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Certainly shop around, but Best buy is the very last place I would buy it from.

Figure out what you want, then browse to pricewatch.com and see who has it for the least.

Posted Wed 24 Nov 04 @ 12:06 am
Hey DJ Rick, not condoning BestBuy for the best price, only saying I bought the computer and it works well. That's where I bought it....now I have to go your site and see how I spent too much. Cost me $799. Wonder what it is at PriceWatch.com?

Posted Wed 24 Nov 04 @ 7:31 am
Junebug, did you buy it yet? Cannonballs video had to have sold you.

Posted Fri 26 Nov 04 @ 6:58 am
djej you wont believe it but I still havnt ordered yet and the silly reason for not is I havnt found a suitable table for my setup and I better hurry cause my wife wants her lappy back soooooooo anyone anyone suggestions for a good table ???????

Posted Sat 27 Nov 04 @ 6:05 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)