Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: V5r5 Suddenly refused to SORT, on all fields!

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I noticed this after a few hours last night that my default sort (BPM) was not sorting properly, but must have been all ok at the start of the night, as I didn't notice any problems then. After about 2 hours I noticed that it wasn't sorting by BPM and manually pressed the BPM header to force VDJ to sort by BPM, but it wouldnt! It just seemed to move a few files around but was not sorting from high to low, or low to high when I pressed it again. Some track were even staying around the same spot, in a list of 800 tracks!

I also tried sorting on Title and Artist, and found the same issue here too, we had a, d, f, b, j, k ect. This was most annoying! It seemed that all sort functions were up the river!

On testing it again now, both my laptop and backup desktop seem to be sorting properly, so something happened after a few hours that mucked things up. As it wasn't instantly obvious that sort had gone wrong, I have no idea exectly when it happened or what triggered it!

This only seems to appeared on V5r5.

Posted Thu 01 Nov 07 @ 3:56 am
I also forgot to mention, that this fault still appeared if I changed Dirs, the sort function would not work on any dirs, a restart seemed to fix it, but as I have only run v5r5 once, will find out tonight when I run it for the second time if it happens again.

Could other keep their eyes open to see if their sort default seems to go bad like mine did.

Posted Sat 03 Nov 07 @ 3:25 am
djcelPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
Did you try to recurse or manually scan before the problem started?

Posted Sat 03 Nov 07 @ 6:33 pm
Not that I'm aware, now that search lists all dirs, there is no real need to recurse a dir. Manual scanning may have been done, but not while I'm playing, perhaps just before I started, the issue appeared after about a hour or so, and no scanning or recursing was done at that point from memory.
I did however try recusing after the issue appered, the recursed list would also not sort.

On play last night issue did not re-appear, but I feel i just did not do whatever it is that will trigger it.

Posted Sun 04 Nov 07 @ 10:51 am
OK, Most annoyed, this happened again last night about 4 hours into the shift. My previous shift was fine, but last night all sort functions failed, on all fields, all directories.

Nothing seems to fix it, aside from restarting VDJ, for me this is a pain as I then loose my "Played" list, and my request. Trying to work with no sort functions is a right pain in the rear!

One thing I did notice is that although many items on the list stayed put even though I was sorting 800 tracks, and pressing "Title", I did notice the top track seemsed to be sorted properly, the rest were all over the place!
IE: press "TITLE" List shows, Zorbas Dance, then Wonderful life, then Groove is in the heart, then Umbrella, then Buttons, Then Stop. Press "TITLE" again, and you get, 100%, Then Groove is in the heart, then Buttons, then Wonderful life, Then Stop.

The whole list is all over the place, and makes finding all tracks in you current BPM range real difficult! All you can do is search for 125-130, and even then the results are all out of order and wont sort!

Surely this isn't a hardware issue, but a combo of feature I'm using, or perhaps the speed or order I'm pressing buttons, but surely I'm not the only one. This has only appeared in v5r5.

Posted Thu 08 Nov 07 @ 3:19 am
OK now, this is getting annoying, it's now happened four times. This can't be a hardware issue, but perhaps is linked to one of two things....

ONE> I use a default search of BPM, set in the registry. Every time i change directories (or filter folders), they are automatically sorted by BPM.

TWO> I have noticed that when VDJ and sort are working normally, when you first select a folder in the browser, the list of music comes up, then after a very brief moment, the tracks dont move, but seem to have some extra tracks inserted in the already showing list. This all happens within a second or so. When sort is not working, the extra addition of tracks does not seem to happen, this list just appears, not sorted by BPM, and won't sort manually by any of the other headers like Artist, last played, Title, even play count cannot be sorted properly! I suspect that when searching for files in the search box, sometimes while typing in the letters of your search, this "Second step" in adding the extrra tracks in sort does not have time to happen, and thus stops it from happening again until VDJ is restarted. Once locked out, search and normal browsing will not sort properly.

Can someone please look into this, Its getting very annoying! Unless your looking for one song in particular, and type the entire title into search, working without sort working is very difficult! A restart of VDJ does fix the issue, but being a request night I loose my request list, and either have to play all the requests first, with no sort(I need sort for the fill in tracks between the set requests), or loose the list when restarting.

Next time this happens I will take some screen shots of various "Sorts" as the devs may be able to see what is wrong, by the way the sort is muddled up!

Posted Fri 23 Nov 07 @ 1:28 am
djcelPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
It should be fixed in v5.0 rev.6

Posted Mon 03 Dec 07 @ 2:14 am
Will be testing tomorrow and report back here with a "Fixed". =)

Posted Mon 03 Dec 07 @ 9:26 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)