Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Music discussion

Topic: mixing hip hop/rnb question

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Most people say that when u mix u mix in the next song half way through the last one. But Does the vocals not get in the way and how do u fix it. Because I am used to mixing at the end of the song. Just wanted to try this way

thanks

Posted Wed 17 Oct 07 @ 6:07 pm
Try looping the back end of the song - most of the time it instumental anyway.

Then mix out of your song

Then loading the same song into the other deck and mixing into the front of the song.

I do this quite often

Posted Wed 17 Oct 07 @ 10:19 pm
Practice using your cue points... they are going to be your best tool for mixing hip hop. If I'm not doing a mashup type of mix. I will usually play about 2:00 - 2:30 of current song and depending on the song - how long I blend the intro song. Some songs you may want to SLAM the new song, or you may want to tease with a couple of quick intros, or blending the new song in around the beginning the verse with LOOPS as Marcel describes.

Don't forget about your effects... you get more effect and tools when you become a pro member.

Posted Thu 18 Oct 07 @ 12:16 am
Try this combo for practicing:

Yeah 105bpm going into let's get married / jagged edge 109bpm

yeah 105 going into Rob Base's / It takes two 112bpm

very different bpm's but work very nicely together with different affects... nice dance going into a heavy beat or nice dance going into a faster song but Rob Base is a slightly lighter base beat so it blends very well.

practice yeah which is a very DJ friendly song with any song around 100 - 110... you will find that you will have to move the pitch of current song to match the new song pitching down, meeting in the middle somewhere.

Posted Thu 18 Oct 07 @ 12:42 am
See If I was to buy virtual dj u said u get access to plug ins that help with mixing hip hop. I was wondering what kinda are they and what do they do if u get what I mean

Posted Sun 21 Oct 07 @ 8:17 pm
being able to mix hip is a timing thing... you really have to know your beats and rhythm of the songs. You may be able to beat match but placing it in the incorrect time of the song would ruin the dynamics of the flow. The effects are used to enhance the mix and listening pleasure so every song or timing would be different.

If the question is how to use effects... you really have to practice with the effects with different songs. I personally love the loop out and the delay effects. but thats just me...

Posted Mon 22 Oct 07 @ 8:21 pm
acidmudHome userMember since 2007
I don't like to mix hip hop. but is very good your tips !

congratulations !

Posted Sun 28 Oct 07 @ 12:57 am
mixing hiphop is the best way to learn beatmatching if u can mix hiphop u can mix anything.

just remember: theres always a kick and snare , but sometimes they're not always there!

Posted Wed 07 Nov 07 @ 3:58 am
i usually mix during the chorus, go into an instrumental of my next song then scratch into it's regular version.

Posted Fri 09 Nov 07 @ 1:33 am
thulsadoom wrote :
i usually mix during the chorus, go into an instrumental of my next song then scratch into it's regular version.

So if you didn't have TTs or don't know how to scratch. How would you solve this persons question.

Posted Fri 09 Nov 07 @ 5:13 am
here is a break down of most urban songs.

Verse 1 (32 beats)
verse 2 (32 beats)
Chorus (32 beats)
Verse 3 (32 beats)
Verse 4 (32 beats)
Break (32 beats)

now the best place to ever want to mix your songs together would be the break area. Now this is a general buildup although many times you will get the break between the first chorus and verse 3. Its all about knowing your songs but mix during the break no matter how you do it and it should come out sounding somewhat clean if done right. no need to scratch, no need to use effects, no need to use samples. those mentioned prior can help keep your momentum up and keep people dancing or pumped up to hear more but aren't 100% necessary. a good mix is all it takes no matter how you do it.

Posted Sun 11 Nov 07 @ 1:15 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)