Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Music discussion

Topic: Mixing in key & key changes.

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Have no clue on how to mix in key. Could someone tell me how? And with regards to key changes. Could someone tell me how to detect key changes in a track?

Posted Wed 17 Oct 07 @ 4:37 pm
djejPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Google harmonic mixing and you'll get lots of information. There are tools that identify the key of a song as well. Xone Mixed in Key and Mixmeister have products. I believe mixmeisters is free, the Mixed In Key product isn't expensive. There is something called the Camelot chart which you'll find when you google. That explains moving from one key to another. Good luck, you will improve for sure if you learn to mix harmonically.

Posted Sun 28 Oct 07 @ 5:05 pm
Hey djej. Thanks for the info. Harmonic mixing seems too difficult for me at this point. Perhaps I'll try one of the programs.

Posted Mon 29 Oct 07 @ 3:25 pm
djejPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Harmonic mixing isn't any different then regular mixing other then knowing the keys improves your chances of good mixes. I can almost guarantee that if you listen to your top 5 favorite "these sound perfect" mixes, the key of the two songs are harmonically close.

Posted Wed 31 Oct 07 @ 4:44 pm
Paz75PRO InfinityMember since 2006
Agree with djej; harmonic mixing is just mixing, there really isnt much value in the title as the listener will just translate that as good or bad. knowing your tracks is key because you need to know what goes and what doesnt. identifying the key of a track doesnt require tools (unless you're tone deaf and you really shouldnt be djing anyhow), just listen to a (playing and b (in the pfl) and together and you can decide for yourself.

there are tools that allow you to pitch-shift a track or or two notes into key if required. for me personally, its like trying to ram the square block into the round hole. just dont do it. if you have spent the time learning your music, you wont often mix out of harmony. transitioning between off-key harmonies does however require a different kind of technique which you should only concern yourself when you are ready for it.

it also depends on your mixing style. if you railroad tracks (2 minute mixes) chances are you will come into harmonic problems if you dont select your tracks carefully. that would be where harmonic mixing really takes meaning for your technique.

regarding key-changes, please identify some examples in your genre. a great amount of electronic music stays away generally from key-changing. afaik, its really only jazz, contemporary and classical that commonly make use of a key-change.

Posted Wed 14 Nov 07 @ 11:08 am
catironHome userMember since 2007
hola mi nombre es edwin y qui quiero bajar una mescladora si me pueden ayuda grasias

Posted Tue 27 Nov 07 @ 2:06 am
bakpa79PRO InfinityMember since 2008
great post, and great opinions. Thanks for this feedback.

Posted Mon 07 Sep 09 @ 1:57 pm
DJ Andre Landry posted an excellent thread on this subject years ago. However, I couldn’t locate it. Maybe Moderator TearEmUp can locate it for you. That thread should have been a sticky because this subject has come up numerous times!

OO

Posted Wed 09 Sep 09 @ 7:39 pm

Posted Wed 09 Sep 09 @ 9:36 pm
someone on the forums recently had a post about mixed in key and they had this, when u set ur sort parameters make sure u have key(numeric) activated,you can go from one to any key above or below it if u stay in the major or minor scale,ex. if the track you are palying is 6a,you can go to 5a or 7a and can go from major to minor on the same key,ex if the song u are palying says the key(numeric) is 12b you can go to 12a www.djtutor.com has some vids about mixing in key using this wheel search ellaskins videos,i have that image set to my desktop background just to remind myslef once in a while,its not complicated to match it key but it will cut down the number of tracks that you would mix because its another factor to be aware of,but i started it recently and you can definetly tell the difference if u go from ex.5a to 6a or if u go from 5a to 11a

Posted Wed 16 Sep 09 @ 5:07 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)