Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Topic: Disable file management

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

thksurfPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Is there a way to disable file management?

My friends (and their kids) have fun using my system and I don't want them to be able to delete anything from within VDJ.

It's scary knowing that they could wipe out all my music.

Posted Mon 08 Oct 07 @ 6:42 am
Create new user for your friends and don't give them delete access. Normal windows ACL. Or if you don't plan on deleting or moving anything, you can take the delete access from yourself...

Incase you still have no clue and have Windows, you can right click the folder, select Properties (or security if it's visible) and there select Security and go on from there.

Personally I wouldn't be worried about them wiping your music but them just generally messing around eg. change right click to be left click etc. Kids love to do that and fixing it takes lot of time unless you're very familiar with the OS. Create them their own "Friends" account to mess (with no administrator priveleges) and things will be smooth. You can use Win+L to fast switch to your account if you need to.

Posted Mon 08 Oct 07 @ 10:53 pm
good idea. like something that you can tick on/off in the config.

------------------more advise--------------------------
there is also options in windows media player to be worried about if someone else uses your computer that could potentially delete files without knowing it right away.
"sometimes when you delete the playlist in WMP it will delete the files as well (by default settings)"
in windows media player
go to: tools > options > library & untick "delete files from computer when deleted from library"

hope this helps secure your files more ;-)

Posted Wed 24 Oct 07 @ 4:05 am
MumpiPRO InfinityMember since 2006
just enable the guest account in the user accounts, this is a very unpriviledged account, basically they can do nothing with it but surfing

Posted Thu 25 Oct 07 @ 12:22 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)