Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Little things that bug me!

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

1- VDJ automatically saves playlists, why does it do this? do you guys really need a record of what you played? Does anyone go out there and play the same things over and over night after night?
2- Napster/Itunes - do we really need this? seriously, or are you guys advertising? i think these things just make the software look unprofessional.

Dont get me wrong, i think that by far VDJ is the best software out there. But im just tired of ads.

Posted Mon 01 Oct 07 @ 7:36 pm
themrfPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Saving the playlist has its advantages. After I shutdown VDJ I always go in and rename the file to something that reminds me of what the gig was for, and the date. Why? Because sometimes people request something that I don't normally play and it works with the crowd. Then later on if I can't remember the name, I can usually remember when I played it last and find it in the previous gigs directory that I keep. Also, if I have multiple gigs going on during a certain night, my other DJ's can see what has been working from various gigs. I also have annual gigs. I pull the previous year's back up and add in some new songs then use that to pull from. On the flip side, if I get complaints about myself or other DJ's choice of music, I have that as a reference to improve things. There used to be a setting to turn this off or on, personally, I would leave it on.

Napster / iTunes - No Comment. Again new things are nice but it should be something that we can turn on or off if needed.

Mrf

Posted Mon 01 Oct 07 @ 7:54 pm
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
djrasza wrote :
1- VDJ automatically saves playlists, why does it do this? do you guys really need a record of what you played? Does anyone go out there and play the same things over and over night after night?
2- Napster/Itunes - do we really need this? seriously, or are you guys advertising? i think these things just make the software look unprofessional.

Dont get me wrong, i think that by far VDJ is the best software out there. But im just tired of ads.

All of which can be turned off so they are not visible to you. Go to the Config -> Browser tab and uncheck the items.

To answer specificly the History question - it's a feature that has always been part of VirtualDJ. With Version 5, if you want to 'clean up' or 'delete' the files, they can be deleted from you My Documents -> VirtualDJ\\Tracklisting folder.

cstoll

Posted Mon 01 Oct 07 @ 7:55 pm
I understand your feellings but remember that VDJ is constructed for ALL levels of DJs. So the nice thing about v5 is that you can turn those feature off from being viewed.

Posted Mon 01 Oct 07 @ 7:56 pm
bogartPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Playlist and history feature are great. Comes in handy if you
need to prove to someone what was played during the evening.

Posted Tue 02 Oct 07 @ 6:40 pm
bogart wrote :
Playlist and history feature are great. Comes in handy if you
need to prove to someone what was played during the evening.

also great for formatting a playlist that wasn't like the last event, another way of preventing the predictable boring night of "same old, same old"

Posted Tue 02 Oct 07 @ 7:38 pm

Saving playlists/history can be turned off by using DJ Cels registry tool (uncheck auto save)

Napster / Desktop etc can be removed in Browser setting in VDJ

:)

Posted Tue 02 Oct 07 @ 7:41 pm
I use use for keeping track of great combinations that sounded well together for that set... That way i can go back to that date and see what worked... also keeping track of what songs you been playing a lot of but not really noticing and perhaps allowing change before it gets redundant.

Posted Tue 02 Oct 07 @ 7:42 pm
I'd say saving the playlist is very useful.

See it like this:

If you have thousands of songs on your hard drive, even if you know they're there, that doesn't mean you won't forget to play a hot song. Sometimes I play in clubs and the day after I remember this hot track I have which I always seem to forget. That playlist you might think is bugging actually helps me think about the songs I haven't played (remember, it only displays previous played songs, "analyzed" ones)

Posted Tue 02 Oct 07 @ 9:18 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)