Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: BPM TAP?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Who else thinks a BPM TAP option would be an awesome addition to VDJ. I do believe that VDJ has the best BPM engine of any
other software I have used. But it's still off some of the time.

It would be awsome if I could TAP out my BPM's
Im sure we can all agree acuarate BPM is important.

WHO"S WITH ME?!?!

Posted Mon 24 Sep 07 @ 11:24 pm
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
There is a BMP tap option in the edit dialog for the BMP of a track.

Posted Mon 24 Sep 07 @ 11:28 pm
Yeah but its 3 steps.

click "BPM" > Tap > ok

this is fine if i am at home working out a mix

But for live aplications, i want to be able to set a trigger for it on my herc. then just load up a jam and tap tap tap tap. without having to use my mouse. this way I can adjust pitch, eq, volume, crossfade and such. and there is no window to open. This way i can be more spontaneous.

Traktor 3 has that option. its pretty dope. But i like VDJ a little more.

Posted Mon 24 Sep 07 @ 11:36 pm
I thought there was a BPM tap.... I have the ICDX and there's a button on the player for tapping, but only with CD/MP3 files. When the iCDX's hook up to CUE the "tap" button works as the "sync" button.

Posted Mon 24 Sep 07 @ 11:57 pm
When I use MK2 as a midi and not a full controller. I have it mapped on the center triangle buttons / sync... then I just tap

Posted Tue 25 Sep 07 @ 12:00 am
fatkatzdj wrote :
When I use MK2 as a midi and not a full controller. I have it mapped on the center triangle buttons / sync... then I just tap

id rather not use the sync, id rather use my ears and tap what I hear, and If the bpm is off the sync will sync incorrectly.

Posted Wed 26 Sep 07 @ 2:23 am
Tear Em 'UpPRO InfinitySenior ModeratorMember since 2006
mrcharming wrote :
id rather not use the sync, id rather use my ears and tap what I hear, and If the bpm is off the sync will sync incorrectly.

That is what the tap feature accomplishes, it ensures that the BPMs are correct.

Posted Wed 26 Sep 07 @ 2:30 am
l_ridsPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I know what you mean mrcharming.... the bpm tap in vdj at the moment isnt easily accessible in live situations.

If someone knows how bpm tap without using the mouse or keyboard and just using a midi device please tell me. I dont think its possible.

Improving the bpm engine calculation for rnb hip hop music would probably eliminate the need for the tap anyway.

Posted Wed 26 Sep 07 @ 4:00 am
fremdjPRO InfinityMember since 2004

Posted Wed 26 Sep 07 @ 5:18 am
TearEmUp wrote :
mrcharming wrote :

That is what the tap feature accomplishes, it ensures that the BPMs are correct.

sync and bpm tap are different. The sync does not ensure the bpm is correct. It ensures that the deckA and B are set at the same BPM. But if the bpm is off to start with (on either deck), then the sync will match with the little squares under the waveform but the actual beats will be off and the mix sounds sloppy. thats why an option to tap them out is much better. For instance I have a few mixes that sound good and clean but the bpm reading are 98.6 and the other is 94.2 this is a perfect example. If i hit sync they both would "match" as far as the screen says, but it sounds like its off. this is actually what made me think of the tap out feature. You can still make the songs fit it just takes a bit longer to cue it up whitch is fine but takes away from ambishous mixing.

I think your right rids.
A better bpm engine is the real soloution. But I think part of the problem is MP3 quality. Lower quality traks with low bitrate are hard for the software to analyze correctly. In these cases the tap is very necessary. I hope the developers work out a soloution for this. Its not a HUGE issue but a rather nice feature that helps live as well and when working out a set.

Posted Fri 28 Sep 07 @ 1:16 am
jimmy bPRO InfinityMember since 2007

@Mrchaming

So what your saying at the Last bit of your comment about the mp3 quality is that the higher bitrate you rip and covert your mp3's at ( I do all mine at 192 or 220) the more accurate the bpm analyes will be. I can see that.

Thanks for that advice

Jimmy b

Posted Fri 28 Sep 07 @ 1:51 am
jimmy b wrote :

@Mrchaming

So what your saying at the Last bit of your comment about the mp3 quality is that the higher bitrate you rip and covert your mp3's at ( I do all mine at 192 or 220) the more accurate the bpm analyes will be. I can see that.

Thanks for that advice

Jimmy b

Im not 100% sure. But from my experience it seems that way. And it makes sense that better quality = better results.

Posted Sat 29 Sep 07 @ 12:31 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)