Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: AV STUFF IS DEFO THE WAY FORWARD - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

Off to sunny ibiza for the third time this year for the weekend to play my AV show (not bad paid gig and flights e.t.c.)... Also this year I did a tour of china (5 star hotel jobby with free moet and food and a serious $$$$ fee) just because I found an agent out there who like the visual stuff and more gigs coming outthere.

I'm not really a known DJ. I have just got lucky with a few productions (remixed a few top 10 records, albeit cheesy eurotrancy Van Dahl e.t.c.) and had a few successful underground tracks, e.g. IK "X-Bass"...

What I'm trying to say is the whole visual thing there is a huge/growing niche for AV artists but its our responsability to educate and bring people round to the ideas of video in clubs. Everywhere I have done AV stuff, the crowds really enjoyed and vibed. Thing that gripes on me is that promoters in the UK - because every DJ and there mate has a clubnight now. The markets being closed off and we need more parties who are willing not only to push DJ's but VJ's, AV artists, and DVJ's e.t.c.

Mindless rant over lol,

Posted Thu 06 Sep 07 @ 12:00 pm
taylaPRO InfinityMember since 2007
totally agree ian

to many have still got there eyes closed so don't know what there missing, the reaction and comments that i'm getting since switching over to vdj from another competitors software (aint mentioning names so it won't appear i'm slagging anyone off) is fantastic, thats why i think i'm being used by this leisure group a lot more than other djs, to go round their clubs and bars to promote this type of night out...

Tayla

Posted Thu 06 Sep 07 @ 12:35 pm
Did a very good remix of one of the Boogie Pimps records sometime back, if my mind recalls correctly Ian?

Posted Thu 06 Sep 07 @ 1:02 pm
Ian Knowles wrote :
...the whole visual thing there is a huge/growing niche for AV artists but its our responsability to educate and bring people round to the ideas of video in clubs. Everywhere I have done AV stuff, the crowds really enjoyed and vibed.

Exactly.

I first started doing visual mixing almost a year ago (was hesitant at first NOT because I didn't think that people would be interested, I KNEW they would be... I'm a turntablist though and didn't like the idea of console mixing with my Hercules MK2, especially in front of people that expect us to "go off" on the turntables during our performances) at a monthly gig that I was doing with 2 of my friends and partner from the world famous Beat Junkies.

I've never looked back and the response from my associates, venue owners/management/staff, and venue customers has been phenomenal.

Ian Knowles wrote :
...we need more parties who are willing not only to push DJ's but VJ's, AV artists, and DVJ's e.t.c.

Definitely.

But I'm not finding it hard to get my foot in the door anywhere. I just find places with displays and/or projector screens and line up a demo with the appropriate people.

I tell them that I can maximize their investment on display/screen real estate, peak their customers interest whether their dancing or not which in turn which in turn creates a synergy amongst everybody at the event which results in a better overall ambience, and the better mood that everybody's in results in more drink/food sales for the venue, and a unique experience for the customers that keeps them coming back.

I've been doing a bit of moving around locally so that I can get get gigs closer to my home in "the OC" here in Southern California because for the 20 years I've been spinning I've mostly been a Los Angeles area dj/turntablist (because my dj crew "LEGEND Entertainment" is based out of Carson in L.A.).

I live in VDJ user "anewsome's " area. He does events around here and recently handed me a Friday night visual gig that's only 10 minutes from my house here in Orange County as opposed to the 40 minutes I was driving to Torrance in L.A.

Throughout the evening last Friday I received several compliments on my "new" way of mixing visual imagery (video, images, graphics, etc.) using turntables (Visual Turntablism - I don't know why they kept saying that it was new unless they were 1st timers to the venue because anewsome was doing it there before me ... maybe it's just that I'm more vocal about our VT movement), and at the end of the night I was approached by several staff members and a manager who all complimented me as well.

On Tuesday night I demoed at a nice, unique place right off the Balboa Pier in beautiful Newport Beach and needless to say, the people that were there loved it. 2 of the owners told me that the local police are incredibly strict though and have cited them for having live entertainment.

After having seen my VT demo on Tuesday, they're willing to try and incorporate it as they feel that it is exactly what their venue needs to bring their clientele numbers back up after having had a horrible month in August, so I'm starting a trial run with them the Saturday after next.

My point is, "demo it or book it, and they will come." ;)

- VT ConQuest
(Visual Turntablist)

Posted Thu 06 Sep 07 @ 2:00 pm
I too am heavily into my turnatblism and finally made some progress with it... Started out as a producer as a meens to become known as a DJ hence the shitty remixes Boogie Pimps lol (but it was money)... I'm now 21 live and live near Liverpool (UK if you didnt already know). And we are absolutely spoilt rotten with 42 venues and hundreds of clubnights + we got manchester 30 mins away. So there's plenty of scope but its hard to make any real money unless your doing somthing new i.e. visuals...

I basically saw DJ Yoda do his AV show and thought thats exactly were I want to go. The thing about his show was as fun and forward thinking as it was, all the video was cut really badly i.e. horribly interlaced footage and all apect ratios being miles out (not questioning him as a performer, he is the bollucks). Then I saw coldcuts live av show. Wow tight and clean as f**k but heavily dependant on automation and idi triggers and a loss of the live feel so im basically on a mission to find some middle ground with my shows.

I do like to get arty with them. Dont like using 2 many music vids as it already seems abit of a fopar to just mix video + when I want to change styles dynamically into drum and bass or breaks from hiphop or techno you dont get many if any tracks with video so VJ'ing production skills is a must.

Thats the other thing I love about this scene is that there aren't going to be many video editor / DJ / Producer combos that will also take years to learn the turntablists trade. So its one scene that will undersaturated for years to come (but there in lies the problem of pushing the scene if there isn't many artists doing it)...

As for the Boogie Pimps thing shh!!!!!!!!!

Posted Thu 06 Sep 07 @ 2:25 pm
For what it's worth, I liked it a lot at that time, I was into the scene at the time.

I'm more astonished that you produced that when you were 16/17.

Agree with the AV shows, and like the digital DJ, it's the way to go.

Posted Thu 06 Sep 07 @ 3:20 pm
Yeah, I haven't gotten as original or "artsy" with my live performances as I would like yet. It's amazing how "just" adding the video of the songs you're mixing adds to the whole experience though, and it works for me now so that I have time to create the content to change it up in the future.

I'm working on incorporating visual clips (movies, tv, anime, etc.) as transitions to break up a mix in order to speed it up, slow it down, or pause for any reason when the event might call for it or I do.

Combined A/V mash-ups are really were it's at though. I was doing a venue about 5 months ago that literally demanded original content in the form of audio mash-ups.

I didn't stay there long enough (got a better offer at a better location) to give them a taste of video mash-ups, but I know they would have gone nuts.

So will everybody else. ;)

Posted Thu 06 Sep 07 @ 3:20 pm
I really want to get into the Video mixing... but... to me the stumbling block is the availibility of Videos.

If i do end up VDJing, i want to do the whole lot in video and i wouldn't want the lack of video to start dictating my sets.

Posted Thu 06 Sep 07 @ 3:37 pm
Yeah the lack of video is a b*tch at the moment... There defo needs to be some more online portals to buy as you would an mp3 + the types of videos are mainly mainstream Hip-Hop & RnB which is not the muscial route I want to take. So aquiring VJ clips animating and editing footage is the only route for me at the moment... It does however meen I get to set certain standards to all clips I show and the overall performance looks cleaner...

I do agree that even sticking to commercial video improves an atmosphere ten-fold and yes I can imagine mashups working really well over their especially with people like 2nd nature doing all mtv stuff e.t.c. over here Yoda is the big boy of AV and he primerely use clips from films with lots of turntablism and its more routine based which is what the UK likes..

Posted Thu 06 Sep 07 @ 5:01 pm

Good to see you on board Ian ;)

I actually liked the Boogie Pimp remix

And about to take the step into VJing too.. I'll travel with ya to Ibiza next time;) hehe.. must be pretty awesome playin there

Posted Thu 06 Sep 07 @ 5:40 pm
dj-in-norway wrote :
I actually liked the Boogie Pimp remix

DARNIT NORWAY!!!

Didn't you see this?!

Ian Knowles wrote :
As for the Boogie Pimps thing shh!!!!!!!!!

Now HOW is Ian supposed to keep the fact that he did the Boogie Pimp Remix back when he was at age 16/17 if you guys keep mentioning that Ian did the Boogie Pimp Remix at age 16/17?

I'm just saying that there should be a little consideration for Ian not wanting anybody to know that he did the Boogie Pimp Remix at age 16/17.

Some people just don't have any tact.

Geez...

=D

Posted Thu 06 Sep 07 @ 5:51 pm
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
LOL @ ConQuest!!

Anyway Ian...

I tend to agree with what you're saying; I'm trying to use visuals myself more, am currently working on coding some visual plugins as well. It's not something I see a lot of, especially round here. Even venues I've seen that have the capability down here really aren't using it to the extent it could be, which is a shame. Mostly there's a couple of video clips on loop and thats it!

I know a fair few producers and DJ's up in your neck of the woods (ie the Liverpool/Manchester/Leeds area)... unfortunately we don't have quite the same nightlife density in my area!! Always had a good time up there though, even if you northerers doing insist on taking the piss out of my "posh" southern accent ;)

Posted Thu 06 Sep 07 @ 6:34 pm
Oooo the north / south devide strikes again lol you'ed think us britts are like these american folk lol (only messing to all those that might be offended)...

Where are you from then SBDJ? I play all over the UK under various different names

Posted Fri 07 Sep 07 @ 10:19 am
Ian Knowles wrote :
Oooo the north / south devide strikes again lol you'ed think us britts are like these american folk lol (only messing to all those that might be offended)...

[thinking out loud]

(Damn southern/"red" state cheney (the puppetmaster)/bush (the puppet) followers have messed everything up for us here in the U.S and true democracy worldwide)

[/thinking out loud]

Ian Knowles wrote :
Where are you from then SBDJ? I play all over the UK under various different names

Is one of those names "16/17 year old Boogie Pimp Remixer"?

=P

Posted Fri 07 Sep 07 @ 12:38 pm
ConQuest wrote :

=P

I was 17 at the time and ministry did pay me for it so is all good i suppose but I have grown lol ... Is the gonna be an on running pisstake now on?

Posted Fri 07 Sep 07 @ 12:43 pm
I also have got into doing video and I have to say that the clientel at the place I reside in loves this technology!
Even though I am not mixing videos or really anything special...I have purchased the DJscreen and rear project outside on the patio with food and drinks for most of this summer season.
Lots of great feed back and comments about my show.Most of my vids are of Live concerts and some earlier 80's stuff.
My crowd consists of a mix depending on the time of night.Dining early on and then the bar crowd and the fun begins!
Its amazing when someone comes up to you and says" I have never seen this artist live ever!..or "how do you do that?" Where is the projector?

They really love the video's and the music being played and some remember being there years ago. etc..ELVIS in Hawaii ,Rod Stewart Live,
Frank Sinatra,Dean Martin, The Supremes,The Temptations, Michael Buble',
Looking to pick up the pace with some more up to date stuff for the younger crowd for Weddings and Christmas parties.
The outside deck is winding down as summer closes...

Videos are the way to go...no doubt

Posted Fri 07 Sep 07 @ 2:23 pm
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
Ian Knowles wrote :

LOL - always makes me laugh the north/south thing, nothing like a bit of friendly banter - some very very very fit scouse girls come in occasionally, I enjoy taking the mick, and so do they!!

I live in Berkshire, in a wonderful (haha) little place called Newbury...

Posted Sat 08 Sep 07 @ 6:42 pm

Posted Sat 08 Sep 07 @ 7:14 pm
Ian Knowles wrote :
ConQuest wrote :

=P

I was 17 at the time and ministry did pay me for it so is all good i suppose but I have grown lol ... Is the gonna be an on running pisstake now on?

Naw, I'm done.

I've had my fun. =D

I'm gonna have o check that remix out sometime though. ;)

Posted Sat 08 Sep 07 @ 9:10 pm
djcelPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
Ian Knowles wrote :
I'm not really a known DJ.

Well in fact a little bit in France because I know your DJ name ;-)

Posted Sun 09 Sep 07 @ 3:56 pm
91%