Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Credit Where It's Due

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Well, no-one can say i'm not fair, Friday night I had a hellish night with V5 as reported in my thread "Not Happy" here :-

http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/75586/General_Discussion/Not_Happy_.html?page=1

Well, tonight (Saturday) was completely the opposite, as i stated in the thread above, I had left my Video drive re-analysing all night, this morning it had finished, so i re-analysed my karaoke drive. After re-analysing I closed VDJ, then opened it again, then recursed the two frives a few times, then did a config/browser/ check, then clean, then fix on the two drives, then closed VDJ, then re-started it, then recursed both drives a couple more times, then did a :-

"Right click all the files in that folder (select all files with shift key pressed down) and choose "file info >> get genre/year" etc "

Then for good measure, recursed another couple of times, then did another 'check, clean, fix'. Then recursed again, then closed the machine and rebooted it. Then I started my gig.

VDJ5 worked like a dream! It did all i told it to, it never hiccuped, burped or even farted!

Not only that, but I've discovered something truly wonderful that will only apply to people using a DMC2.

Tonight was my karaoke night, so, the plan was, load up a nice video playlist, with a nice flow, put it on automix, then when the karaoke slips come in, load the karaoke file onto the 'unused' deck, call the person up, when they get up, simply mix over to the karaoke file. Something I've suggested in another post, BUT!!!!! I made a fantastic discovery tonight, Those with a DMC2 will know that you have an automix button in the middle, now follow me on this cos this is VERY sweet.

You're in automix (mp3 or video, doesn't matter which) now remember, V5 automix is on ONE deck, so, you get a karaoke file, drag it onto the UNUSED deck. Call up your singer, if they show, fine, if not, do nothing, the automix is still going, so, give them another shout, the singer comes up. Now, on the DMC2, double press the automix button (boggis dmc2 mapper), the crossfade moves over to the unused deck AND it starts to play, at the same time press PAUSE on the automix deck. (are you mwith me so far?)

OK, your singer finishes singing, you do the bit on the mic, ie "that was fred with his version of mustang sally, give him a round of applause etc" at the same time, double press the 'automix' button on the DMC2, not only does it nicely crossfade, it also restarts the deck (remember, you paused it) and the automix carries on!

You have to try it to understand just how sweetly this works!

So, had a great night with V5, OK, I will always post and speak my mind when i have a problem, but i am also happy to post when VDJ runs great for me!

BUT... (there's always one of those) I'd still like to see an option to choose between single deck and twin deck automixing.

Posted Sun 26 Aug 07 @ 2:46 am
Good to hear. I am playing my first gig with V5 right now. Unfortunately my laptop will be put to the test with this new database. I didn't get a chance to analyze all my songs. When I got here... I loaded Office 2003 and I ended up bombing my registry. Bluescreen on startup. Blah.

Good thing for me I come prepared. ;-) I bring a Norton Ghost Image of my VDJ partition in my dual boot system so if anything ever happens like this... I simply run it and reload XP. Only takes about 5-10 mins to complete. Its kinda like a system restore on steroids. :-)

So now I am stuck running each song into the database as I load them. But I did use Norway's tweaks in options regarding the database and analyzing. So I hope to have better luck than you did on your first gig.

I'll be sure to report the results of my first gig with V5 later on this evening when I am done. I have a lot of faith in my laptop and my hardware so I think I'll be fine. I don't, however have faith in the fact that I will like all these new changes with V5 (mainly with the automix).

Posted Sun 26 Aug 07 @ 3:30 am

'

great to hear tophouse

Posted Sun 26 Aug 07 @ 3:49 am
I've now got a wait of about 3/4 days whilst VDJ5 analyses my music drive :o(

Posted Sun 26 Aug 07 @ 10:12 am
Using it for the first time at a gig this afternoon! Hopefully all will go to plan!

Posted Sun 26 Aug 07 @ 11:43 am
Is that you Johnny Darlo???

Posted Sun 26 Aug 07 @ 11:44 am
It is indeed!

Anyway just to report back used it tonight for the first time and not a problem - was perfect to use! Spent all week making VDJ learn my database and that helped, everything worked quickly and efficiently! Top stuff!

Posted Mon 27 Aug 07 @ 2:09 am
I reckon the vast majority of V5 problems are related to this database transfer.

Posted Mon 27 Aug 07 @ 2:40 am
apopsisdjPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
@Tophouse... i see the "one player automix" is not that bad for you after all ...
Great, but why we needed pages and pages... on the other thread ?

Now see how it works for me:... i always have new songs to listen and put in categories. I use the early time when there is no crowd in the club, automixing is on one deck and i use the other to preview. I enjoyed that last time because i could easily pause the automix and play some new track "on air" if i needed to, then resumed the playlist back, and without the confusion to check where the software crossfader is... easily from my hardware mixer... 3decks on 2 line in inputs...

ps. don't start a round two now..-)

Posted Mon 27 Aug 07 @ 3:04 am
apopsis wrote :
@Tophouse... i see the "one player automix" is not that bad for you after all ...
Great, but why we needed pages and pages... on the other thread ?

Did you read the last sentence of my post?

Posted Mon 27 Aug 07 @ 4:11 am
apopsisdjPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
Yes of course -)

Posted Mon 27 Aug 07 @ 3:11 pm
Joop3mPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Hell Yeah !

First the new installation of VDJ, then the installation of MK2... my MK1 ate up as much nicotine and smoke fluid as a man can handle he he .....

Took the whole week for analyzing and checking up the works..... My gig on saturday was awesome... REALLY AWESOME !!! Video, MP3, searching on genres etc... no problem.

THANKS AGAIN !

.... but i taste a small inconsitency in the database... I'd like to have a real clean explanation of the working of the database. At a certain moment all my files were gone... i had to put them back....

Posted Mon 27 Aug 07 @ 4:48 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)