Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: corporate picnic

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

doolowHome userMember since 2006
i have been booked to do a picnic next month i have never done one...the person booking me heard a mix cd and contacted me...
i need some tips from set up on thru to the type of programming the music...will i have to mix a lot or do it radio style...or a lil of both...
i need you guys...i dont ask many questions...cuz i find the answers here...except for the ones i crashed and burned on...lol
thanx in advance...
ya brother in music
DJ Doolow

Posted Thu 09 Aug 07 @ 1:39 pm
Hi Doolow

I think the guys here will need a little more info.

- Event Location
- Reason for event.
- Projected attendance (min - Max)
- Equipment you have at your disposal
- Equipment being arranged for you?
- Music Style(s) requested by event organiser
- Anything else the organisers have requested of you.

Posted Thu 09 Aug 07 @ 3:08 pm
You will need a wide range of music, even some kid stuff. That's the good thing about software, you can bring 80,000 songs, and not have to worry that you left something home. It will all depend on who shows up. If they bring their spouse and kids, is this the first one, or an annual event. You should plan on some team games. Then again, they may have this planned out already. They could have baseball, volleyball, badminton, horseshoes, etc. You should monitor the weather all week. Are you in a covered area, if not bring a tent. You may also need a monitor shade, so you can see. Things can be tricky when kids are around, because they have to watch their kids, they can't really get their groove on. So don't get bent out of shape, if no one dances. Just play good party music, and take request. At these events, I will actually go out and ask a few people, if they would like to hear something. From experience, most of them will say no, but they will appreciate the gesture.

Posted Thu 09 Aug 07 @ 9:39 pm
^ Great advise

Posted Thu 09 Aug 07 @ 10:06 pm
I agree 100% especially going out and asking for request. Most will say "I don't know your doing a great job with the music so far"

Just change it up every other song. Most outdoor events are not for mixing unless they hired you to do so. Even if that's the case you can alway throw a quick show for them.

If there are a lot of kids there, be prepare to play avril lavine, Panic at the disco, or even I like to move it - type of songs. If you can imagine people like older music, motown, disco, and soft rock of today. Always ask your planner what they have in mind as far as games, events, promos and music.

be creative and don't put pressure on yourself. Be interactive and mingle and have fun. If you miss your cue, so what. People are there to network and have a good time and so should you.

If you have a good time it will show and someone might remember you for another party.

Posted Thu 09 Aug 07 @ 10:13 pm
We don't have Corporate Picnics here in the UK, at least i've never heard of them any way.

Probably because of the weather!

Do people normally drink alchohol at these events?

Posted Thu 09 Aug 07 @ 10:23 pm
Depends... but as of my experience not normally... They would like to have it as a family event.

Posted Thu 09 Aug 07 @ 10:28 pm
digimixer wrote :
We don't have Corporate Picnics here in the UK, at least i've never heard of them any way.

Probably because of the weather!

Do people normally drink alchohol at these events?

They used to get blasted, but that has changed dramatically. Some don't have any alcohol at all. We like to sue over here, even when it's our fault. No one gets drunk any more, except the drunk. But he came like that.

Posted Thu 09 Aug 07 @ 10:29 pm
LOL! But true

Posted Thu 09 Aug 07 @ 10:31 pm
I forgot, I have a new rider to my contract. "At the first sign of thunder or lightening, the sound system has to be shut down. Music will resume after a 10 minute period of no thunder or lightening." You should not have to explain this, but if you have to, there are plenty of news accounts about lightening strikes. I also have large 55 gallon heavy duty trash bags, in case of a fast moving shower.

Posted Thu 09 Aug 07 @ 10:52 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)