Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Topic: Faster Track Loading

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Not that tracks take too long to load or anything, 2 seconds for an optimized file is nothing - but it could be quicker, which may be useful for TC users with smaller powered systems. Programs such as Audition and Sound Forge create files in an audio files directory which represent the wave spectrum (maybe I'm getting the terminology wrong here). The purpose for doing so is that the next time you load the file, it is pretty much instant because the program doesn't need to reanalyse the wave, it can simply draw it from the details in the file. If VirtualDJ was able to use a similar method, but keep the files in its own optimization directory then it could increase productivity, possibly.

Like I mentioned, not a needed feature, but something fairly common with a lot of music applications and could be useful.

Edit: Although now that I think about it, VirtualDJ is required to decompress the entire file and a lack of a full wave display does act as a warning that the software is not ready to give opitimal results should a file be loading. I don't know if such a method would be worth the small gains in performance versus possible chance of error.

Posted Sat 04 Aug 07 @ 12:55 am
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
have you tried the old registry trick for speed load?

its in the key speedload

files by default are loaded slower to protect weaker machines

Posted Sat 04 Aug 07 @ 1:49 am
I haven't really noticed a difference in loading with speedload turned on, although the loading speed isn't really the problem. I realised after making the post I completely messed up the title. I was thinking it would be handy if the wave display was loaded instantly on loading a track, maybe I'm obsessive compulsive, that would explain a lot of things! I suppose I hadn't really thought it through properly as I then realised it's probably a good thing that it isn't displayed immediately as the gradual increase of the waveform demonstrates how much of the track has loaded and can act as an indication for some users not to play with the track while its loading, although those of us with modern systems are fine to do so.

Posted Sat 04 Aug 07 @ 2:03 am
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Displaying the wave form before that track is alittle impossible. The application has to know what to display and that is only by reading the file from start to end. Look at any audio editing program or other sound application the wave has to be analyzed and displayed at the same time.

Posted Sat 04 Aug 07 @ 9:09 am
I thought my message implied that the file needs to be analysed first (once), perhaps not. But yes, once the file is read once the optmization file is created. The next time you load it into Sound Forge, Audacity, Audition etc, it's instant.

Posted Sat 04 Aug 07 @ 1:18 pm
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
that would be a good idea :)

Posted Sat 04 Aug 07 @ 1:58 pm
JeremKPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
It isn't really the display of the track's waveform that takes the 2 seconds, but when you load a track on a deck in VDJ, it decodes the file, and writes the file in the memory (RAM), i think this is what takes the time, and can't be any better.

Posted Sat 04 Aug 07 @ 2:05 pm
I thought that was the reason for why it takes a little bit of time, but with speedload on you can needle drop anywhere in the track even when its loading and if you're running at low latency it works beautifully. It would just be nice if the wave was displayed instantly, maybe as a registry tweak as the engine copes remarkably well already with needle dropping anywhere in a track which is still loading. I understand my thread title is confusing :(

Posted Sat 04 Aug 07 @ 4:33 pm
JeremKPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
When you needle drop, it's just like in WMP or Winamp, VDJ goes to the place in the file, where the data is for the place you needle dropped, and this only takes a few milliseconds.

But when you needle drop, you can see that VDJ stops loading where it is actually loading, and restarts loading from where you needle dropped, and when VDJ finished loading till the end of the track, it does what remains:

Posted Sat 04 Aug 07 @ 11:40 pm
I know that, but that's not really what my thread is about. It was just a suggestion related with how a lot of audio programs handle file loading. I suppose there may not be any real benefit to such a system in a dj software though.

Posted Sun 05 Aug 07 @ 4:40 pm
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
What you want is the snap-shot of the waveform upon first analyze to be stored. And each other use it uses that waveform file to display it instead of waiting for the file to load into memory.

This would require and additional file even if 1-2k in size to be stored with every file.
-- I have about 60000 in files now - don't really need an additional 60,000 little 1-2k files floating around. By the way that is allot of wasted space for not being able to store other videos or audio files - do the math 60k X 2k

Posted Sun 05 Aug 07 @ 5:32 pm
DJ-ALFPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2005
Good point there cstoll ;)

Posted Sun 05 Aug 07 @ 6:27 pm
Just under 120mb isn't too much. That's only 4x more than the music which comes bundled in the VirtualDJ installer. Such a process would also be able to work as double security against database corruptions because information such as bpm and cue points could be stored in these analysed files in parallel to the database. I suppose the least safest but most efficient way (rather than creating a mess on the filesystem) to do so would be to write the information into VirtualDJ specific tags for capable music files. Although that would require write tags to be enabled.

Posted Sun 05 Aug 07 @ 6:59 pm
any news about this feature?
a friend of mine has serato ... and once you scan the file... that's it no more reading the whole file...

Posted Tue 23 Jun 09 @ 11:55 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)