Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: more perplexing behaviour...

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Just read DJ_Marcel\'s post- it must be a strange weekend because I havn\'t had any problems for ages untill friday night.

I had it crash once where the screen and DMC2 froze, but the music kept playing, so just switch to a CD, restart and all was fine. I\'ve had this happen before when it\'s been really hot, so i guess it\'s due to the laptop overheating

Then I had a strange thing, I loaded shakira- hips don\'t lie, which i\'ve played millions of times before without any problems and half way through playing it suddenly goes quiet! I thought it had frozen, but it hadn\'t, but on the wave display for the track show about a minute and a half of silence in the middle of the song!

Then after that I also had quite a few freeze ups, and also where it would just load the first half a second of a song (vob or mp3), then freeze the program.

Any ideas?

In marcel\'s thread somebody mentioned a RAM error, how would I check to see if that\'s the case?

Thanks!

BTW: I\'m working on an inspiron 6000 laptop, 1.86GHz centrino processor, 1GB of RAM, x300 video card with 128mb dedicated memory, DMC2 for controller, maya 44 usb soundcard, all media on a seagate 500gb hardrive in a caddie for usb connection.

The hard drive is the newest addition, got that a couple of weeks ago because my 320gb hard drive was full.

Posted Sun 29 Jul 07 @ 9:12 pm
DJ-ALFPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2005

Posted Sun 29 Jul 07 @ 9:47 pm
andytaylor125 wrote :
Just read DJ_Marcel's post- it must be a strange weekend because I havn't had any problems for ages untill friday night.

I had it crash once where the screen and DMC2 froze, but the music kept playing, so just switch to a CD, restart and all was fine. I've had this happen before when it's been really hot, so i guess it's due to the laptop overheating

Then I had a strange thing, I loaded shakira- hips don't lie, which i've played millions of times before without any problems and half way through playing it suddenly goes quiet! I thought it had frozen, but it hadn't, but on the wave display for the track show about a minute and a half of silence in the middle of the song!

Then after that I also had quite a few freeze ups, and also where it would just load the first half a second of a song (vob or mp3), then freeze the program.

Any ideas?

You may have hit on the problem with the heat. You may want to get a cooling pad (if you don't have one already.) If you have had your laptop for a while, it may have some dust bunnies in it. That is a common thing when working in club that use a lot of haze. I had to open mine up a couple of times to clean it out. RAM does not like heat. Strange things can happen when RAM heats up too much.

Posted Mon 30 Jul 07 @ 1:39 am
Thanks for the replies.

I'll have a go with the ram testers

I've never taken a laptop apart before, I've taken a DAC3 apart before and put it back together ok, but I don't want to break my laptop, is it reasonably simple, or should i take it in somewhere?

Posted Mon 30 Jul 07 @ 2:26 am
You should get it in PC-Laptop service and ask them to clean it inside.

Posted Mon 30 Jul 07 @ 2:50 am
If you can take the DAC apart, a laptop isn't much harder. If you aren't sure of what are doing, do what ALF suggests.

Posted Mon 30 Jul 07 @ 2:58 am
Thanks, I think I'll give it a go tomorrow,

if i get stuck, I'll just take all the pieces into the computer shop!

Could I stick some more RAM in it while I've got it apart I wonder? I've got 1 Gig at the moment, maybe 2 would be better...

Posted Mon 30 Jul 07 @ 3:13 am
More RAM is always a good thing. :)

Posted Mon 30 Jul 07 @ 6:08 am
I second that ;)

Posted Mon 30 Jul 07 @ 11:11 am
If you want to take it apart yourself, try searching for the factory service manual on the web. I got one for my HP and it made everything a breeze.

Posted Mon 30 Jul 07 @ 4:26 pm
Try here:
www.eserviceinfo.com

Posted Mon 30 Jul 07 @ 4:39 pm
Thanks guys, I stayed up nearly all last night taking it to pieces!

I found the service manual on the dell website, 10/10 for dell on that one- made it so simple.

Generally the laptop was nearly spotless inside, but there was a heat sink on the end of a "heat pipe?" that was pretty clogged up, so got that cleared and put it back together again. I was a bit worried, but everything came together and worked perfectly at a 4 hour gig tonight (although it wasn't that hot).

Now I know what everything is, I've left the cover off the ram compartment on the underside of the laptop to help with ventilation (got a fan under there in my case).

In true comedy style though, I've got one extra screw left over and I can't work out where it was meant to go!!!

Posted Tue 31 Jul 07 @ 4:31 am
If it is only one screw than it is ok ;)

Posted Tue 31 Jul 07 @ 3:06 pm
lol, i hope so!

Thanks again for the help

I'm pretty sure now it must have been the heat. I did the RAM test before I took it to pieces and all was fine.

So now I'm gonna put together a desktop machine instead of using the laptop...

Posted Tue 31 Jul 07 @ 8:50 pm
I put together my desktop because my laptop was outdated.

It would run 3.4 - but only barely.

I havn't tested the RAM in my unit yet, but I might just replace it. I only put in 2MB when I built it, The MOBO can handle 4MB.

So new and more ram for me I think

Posted Tue 31 Jul 07 @ 8:54 pm
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Marcel -- I know you mean 2 GigaBytes (2GB) and not 2 MegaBytes (MB)?

Posted Tue 31 Jul 07 @ 8:56 pm
Lol, that might be your problem if your video mixing with 2MB of ram!

Seriously though, did you get very far working out what went wrong?

Posted Tue 31 Jul 07 @ 9:11 pm
cstoll wrote :
Marcel -- I know you mean 2 GigaBytes (2GB) and not 2 MegaBytes (MB)?

Ummm yeah that's it.

I wasn;t not thinking when I posted theat.

yeah that's it.

so far havn't had time to go through it yet
but it's a civic holiday this weekend here so monday is an off day - perfect for testing.

Posted Wed 01 Aug 07 @ 6:07 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)