Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Single versus Multiple Rooms

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
No I'm not talking about apartments but clubs..
Personally I prefer DJ'ing in clubs where there's only one room, that way you don't feel your competing with the room/DJ next door. More importantly it generally means your more free musically which in my view is more fun for me and guests, being able to play ten genres in a night over just one.

The main negative is the pressure you get from people, each approaching the booth with their own 'view' of what you should be playing, I remember one night when an old guy came up to me telling me the music was "B******s" and suggested I played some 60's (at generally very young club) the next guy who approached me about a second behind him asked If I had any Prodigy, I knew from that moment on the night was going to be a challenge, but for me it's more fun to play 60's and the prodigy in the same night than it would to play 5 hours of House or Hip Hop..,

When doing a single style for so long, you feel after a certain point that this has all been done before.., both as a guest and a DJ, and for me that's boring.

Posted Fri 27 Jul 07 @ 11:10 am
KregCZPRO InfinityMember since 2005
One of the places I spin have a main room and a lounge.
The main room plays Bubble gum and pop, the lounge plays Hip Hop, Reggae, Reggaetone & R&B.
If we had another room I think it would be all House music.

I mostly play the lounge and love it, because I am able to play almost anything so it's my job to TAKE people from the main room and get the lounge packed.

This format has worked great for our club, specially when we have a band in the main room.

Posted Fri 27 Jul 07 @ 1:11 pm
PFD50PRO InfinityMember since 2007
Just have to go to Space in Ibiza to appreaciate multiple rooms.

Chillout areas are great when you need a break during a 22 hour stint.

Mostly though at home I think club nights are spoiled when there are 2 rooms.

Posted Fri 27 Jul 07 @ 2:42 pm
Hey there,

I know what you mean about being able to play whatever you think will go down best, whether it's Hiphop, or 60s or whatever.

But when you're doing just one style, it does let you be a bit more creative. You can find old gems or rare tracks that wouldn't normally be played to get a bit deeper into the genre. You can go a bit more crazy with the beat mixing as well, since you won't be building it up as rapidly to get through different music styles.

Also, you'll actually have an audience who like what you're playing (hopefully), if you don't like house/hiphop/cheese music, as a customer you just avoid that room!

But saying that, I think really the best thing is lots of variety. I play one place that's just dance music and one place that's anything goes and it's nice to have a bit of variety so that I can take a different approach to each different night.

Posted Fri 27 Jul 07 @ 3:43 pm
I have been playing in rather large multi-room venues for years.

I am currently at Polly Esther's nightclub in Las Vegas (3 largest nightclub in Vegas)
Each of the 4 rooms is broken up by decade. 70's, 80's, 90's & 2000's+

I am sure I can write a book on how much I hate this sort of scenario....

Here are some key points:

- when someone requests something, you play it and they come back to you and say there were in the other room.

- when someone requests something you HAVE already played and they complain with some kind of reasoning, "no one will know... come on... everyone loves the song..." blah blah blah!

- When a large group of people that are there together and decide to check out another room. Looks bad with management... like you did something wrong.

- When your room has a slower start than the other rooms... once again.. looks bad with management.

- when the rooms are different sizes and you are working the largest room.. and it doesn't LOOK as busy as the other rooms... again.. looks bad with management.

Posted Fri 27 Jul 07 @ 5:00 pm
PFD50PRO InfinityMember since 2007
Another point I would like to make especially around dance music.

It IMHO is better to have everyone on the same vibe in a club rather than people who are just not in that groove

Posted Fri 27 Jul 07 @ 5:30 pm
Tear Em 'UpPRO InfinitySenior ModeratorMember since 2006
One place I worked had two rooms/dance floors, and I was pumped into both. I thought great! Then I found out the back room was often doing better for dancers. The reason why became apparent when one of the doormen discovered a group of industrious ladies were selling services in the back room, and there were group rates available. Needless to say the back room was only open for six weeks. Often now when I do private events guests from the other party sneak in to hear what I am mixing, so there could be a vibe of competition from the other DJs playing in the neighboring rooms.

Posted Fri 27 Jul 07 @ 8:18 pm
I have spent my career doing multi room clubs. Like Al I played Polly Esthers (san Antonio and Austin) for 2 years, I have played for Graham Central Station (three locations for over 4 years), Midnight Rodeo / Sharkeys for 2 years and several independents in Phoenix, Scottsdale, Denver, and the afformentioned Texas clubs.

Personally I love the concept, especially if you get to rotate once in awhile in the different clubs (it also make you much more valuable to the club if you can work any room).

When someone askes for hip hop in a single "non-hip hop club" you have to be the bad guy and say NO, in a multi room club you can simply say "I don't play it in here, but Dj____ plays it in the Zazoo Room, go get your hip hop on and come back and I'll do some old school for you when you get back".

I also like to compete with the other rooms, not on a nightly basis but to compare my numbers in the 70's room against the numbers when the other jocks work there....it's good to know that same club, same regulars, same promoting, etc. your numbers are superior cause you hold them and dance them more than the other jocks.

I think more cities should have more multi venue clubs personally.

Posted Sat 28 Jul 07 @ 2:14 am
it does have it's moments....

The funny thing is the most DJ's can't really grasp the concept to ONLY playing one decade or style ALL NIGHT LONG! I can do all rooms with my eyes closed now.. I have seen so many DJ's struggle with just doing the 70's disco/funk for at least 2 to 3 hours... they end up texting me.. I ran out of music... I don't know what to do.. I usually respond.. "dig deeper..."

Posted Sat 28 Jul 07 @ 3:50 am
lol, interesting what turns up when you start trawling through your library!

Seems to me a trend's appearing from people's comments:

Multi-room clubs are better for the customers (more choice), but harder for the DJ (all the reasons listed above!)

Posted Sat 28 Jul 07 @ 4:26 am
I'm with low-phat on this one, how can you run out of music in a decade specific room! You have 10 years worth of hits to play (12 if you kind of fudge and consider the '0 year of the before and after decade) and you have a room of people who WANT that kind of music or they wouldn't be in that room. Play the "hits" the people who enjoyed that decade want and not the same 10 tired songs the rest of society have latched on to.

Posted Mon 30 Jul 07 @ 6:52 am
The problem with decade spacific room is that many or most DJs are younger and would not have a clue as to what was played for that time period. They would only get the popular song of that era. If they would take the time to research thier craft they would not run out of songs. But most of problem is due to youth and lack of knowledge.

Posted Mon 30 Jul 07 @ 5:24 pm
taylaPRO InfinityMember since 2007
i'm with you on that fatkatz, unfortunately i've got to much knowledge and not enough youth to my name....

Tayla

Posted Mon 30 Jul 07 @ 7:43 pm
"You can have everything you want in life, but not at the same time"

Posted Mon 30 Jul 07 @ 8:59 pm
true, true...

Posted Mon 30 Jul 07 @ 9:02 pm
Bagpuss wrote :
"You can have everything you want in life, but not at the same time"

This should be on the good advice forum

Posted Mon 30 Jul 07 @ 9:19 pm
Maybe, but it was inspired by Tayla hehe :)

Posted Mon 30 Jul 07 @ 9:25 pm
bagbus

lol, unfortunately i just cannot get the missus to do that mix for me...lol she'll just not play the full 12 inches..lol

Tayla

Posted Mon 30 Jul 07 @ 9:43 pm
if i worked in a place like Low Fat Al... I would invest in one if not multiple time period box sets that we all see on T.V. after work.

Posted Mon 30 Jul 07 @ 9:59 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)