Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: pioneer cdj 1000 mk3 + VDJ - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

i'm about ready to buy a cd deck and i'm wondering if i can use vdj with only one pioneer cdj 1000mk2. or i need both. if you think that cdj 1000s aren't the best for vdj please let me know. i plan to scratch with them alot. any other cd deck that are equal in proformance or better?

Posted Fri 27 Jul 07 @ 2:53 am
JeremKPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
using one deck in CD timecode mode isn't really a good thing to do.

this could make you do silly things like scratch on the wrong track... :-S

If you need a CD deck, and want to use VDJ with only one CD deck, then the best would be to get iCDX from Numark. There is a button on the cd deck that will let you control either deck 1 or 2, and it works flawless.

But on the other hand, the scratch with iCDX isn't as good as on CDJ's

Posted Fri 27 Jul 07 @ 10:17 am
KregCZPRO InfinityMember since 2005
I like the Technics DZ1200 cd players, their about $300-$400 cheeper then the Pioneer.

Posted Fri 27 Jul 07 @ 11:08 am
I heard the DZ1200 aren't as good as they seem, alot of djs here have been disappointed when using them.

Posted Fri 27 Jul 07 @ 11:41 am
I have both and the DZ1200 and the Pioneer 1000mk2 and like the DZ1200 best.
Most of the people I know who are disapointed with them were people who were looking for a cd player that had a spinning platter and all the bells and wistles. It was not built for that, it was built to be a simple CD Turntable. the 1000s load cds slower and do not turn, so some of the tricks you can do (scratching) you cant do on the 1000s.
The only negative I found is that it needs a bump (speed up/slow down) button, but you have that on the Nvo4 mixer and several other midi mixers.

Posted Fri 27 Jul 07 @ 12:55 pm
the DZ1200 is midi? and can receive midi signals?

Posted Fri 27 Jul 07 @ 3:50 pm
I really wanted to like the Technics DZ1200's. They look cool and I like the platter alot. Problem is they are not ever as close as on point as the Pioneer CDJ's. They have some serious lag. I found myself having to push the platter everytime I let go. I tried them over and over, just didn't like them.

I own 2 CDJ 1000's Mk II's. They are great. I'm fairly new to VDJ but have been using the Pioneer decks for years. They have some amazing features but when you use a computer program like VDJ you don't really need them. (ie. When I play normal CD's all of my cues and loops are stored on the microchip that slides into the front/bottom/left of the deck. If I play a gig that already has CDJ's, I just bring my chip and all my points register on that machine. The brake, hot cues, ect...) You won't use these features with VDJ. My suggestion is getting the model under the 1000's the 800's. They have everything you need for VDJ, which is not much since you can do everything in the program. In my neighborhood I can get 2 800's for $1000. Or 1 1000 Mk III <---3 for a $1000. I would only get the 800's if I was STRICTLY using it for VDJ or another computer DJ program, otherwise the 1000's extra features are invaluable.

Hope that helps,
Charlie Five

Posted Fri 27 Jul 07 @ 4:51 pm
No the DZ1200 is not midi, and can not receive midi signals. the Nuo4 is midi and it has a button on it to bump up or down a song in the VDJ program, it dose nothing to the DZ1200s they just keep playing the TCCD as if nothing happened.

As for the slow startup on the DZ1200 you have to enable the "instant start" button and you'll never have to worry about the wind-up again, I keep it off because I am so use to using turntables and scratching that it dosn't effect me because when you use turntables you have to push the record in too.
I'ts just a matter of timeing your push, something most people have to practice to learn.

Posted Fri 27 Jul 07 @ 11:27 pm
this is one of the reasons i love VDJ also, for the support. thank you guys for the infor.
im going to look at the pioneer cdj 1000 or 800

Posted Sat 28 Jul 07 @ 12:59 am
I actually was just playing with my friends Technics earlier today. The lag I'm talking about is the lag that happens after I release the platter. Especially if I am backing up when I release it. The Pioneer decks are why tighter than that. Plus you can adjust it to suit your needs. They look sweet though!

Posted Sat 28 Jul 07 @ 1:01 am
DJ-ALFPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2005
How about Numark CDX or HDX? I think they are the best for scratching.

Posted Sat 28 Jul 07 @ 6:01 am
Tear Em 'UpPRO InfinitySenior ModeratorMember since 2006
I am a big supporter of Numark, but it has been my experience that the CDX does not like to be moved. For a permanent, semi permanent install they are fine. If you intend to move them every week they might give you some trouble. I am not a scratcher, but look into the iCDX. and you only need one with VDJ/CUE.

Posted Sat 28 Jul 07 @ 6:53 am
haz0rdPRO InfinityMember since 2006
The icdx is great. I suggest getting 2 not 1.
The price just dropped on them also..

Here are my reason for 2

1) while mixing in VDJ the pitch knob tends to reset sometimes when switching between decks if you have 2... no worries

2) if you want to switch to CD or USB mode on one deck you can still use VDJ with the other day and
everything will mix great.

3) If you have a problem with your computer you can always have a few DVDs loaded with mp3
and this can save the day.

Thanks,
DJ SMG

Posted Sat 28 Jul 07 @ 8:37 am

Posted Sun 29 Jul 07 @ 4:09 pm
The Technics Cd players suck because when you scratch, they sound distorted. They only look good and thats it. Looking good and price is not what is important. The pioneer are the best to use over all and sound really good when you scratch. I am fron NY city and here we have the best djs in the world and they all use either the pioneer cdj 1000s or the technics 1200s. Not the technics cd players.

Posted Tue 31 Jul 07 @ 8:53 am
freppaPRO InfinityMember since 2002
I Have 1000Mk3 and they are muh smoother than Mk2´s

Have heard that there are some differences in the Software (Pioneer Software) that u need to use Mk3 to work fine with TC?

Posted Tue 31 Jul 07 @ 9:05 am

Posted Tue 31 Jul 07 @ 11:49 am
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Well CD players are the cool things to have/use, but which of us really need them?

I've been long tempted to buy some CD decks, because they look good and some have some fancy features, scratching capabilities etc, but I have to ask myself, do I really want to go backwards and start using CD's? The answer is undoubtedly no, the Laptop as an interface and HD is far more practical than any CD player. The most practical after a Laptop would have to be a CD player such as the iCDX (supporting HD's etc).

It is the need/desire to scratch that causes the "problem" with Laptop DJ'ing, because you need a soundcard with ultra low latency, and if you want to do it properly have expensive Turntables or high end CD players (it's my understanding that only a few models are worth considering when it comes to scratching).

As far as timecode is concerned, it's cool if your playing in a club that has CD players installed and you want the image/scratch ability they offer, but to buy CDJs purely for timecode is imo a waste of money, they're expensive enough even if you do plan to pop CD's in them.

I bought myself an XP10 as an alternative to a CDJ/TT, the platter is impressive but no piece of gear will do the scratching for you, so I've no way of knowing whether they have the same Scratching capability as a CDJ.

Posted Tue 31 Jul 07 @ 1:38 pm
DJ-ALFPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2005
Well said Bren ;)

Posted Wed 01 Aug 07 @ 6:22 pm
You can be cheap and go that way or spend money and use your equipment the real way. If you love dj ying, then you would spend the money and get some good stuff. Using a cd player is not going back wards, i have two pioneer cdj 1000mk3 and i have it hooked up to the serato and it works dam good. using a CDJs have more advantages than the technics 1200s. The cds players can loop, hot start and scratch just like 1200. Time coded setup is really quick not like the truntables that needs more adjustmenst and you need to keep buying needles and time codes when they wear out. The xp10s are cheap and you need to use up at least 3 usb ports 1 for left, 2 for right and 3 for usb hard drive for the music . 3 equals more strain on the laptop. What i am using, all my friends are really impressed because they are using technics 1200s. If you want to buy good equipment, spend the money and not get some mickey mouse xp10 controllers.

Posted Thu 02 Aug 07 @ 5:18 am
71%