Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Topic: That little spinning turntable

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hello to all,

I just bought this program because of it's video mixing and the excellent loop engine.

My suggestion today is to please analyze OTSJUKE's turntable function and emulate this "feel" in yours. The current VDJ turntable is very rough and not realistic. The OTSJUKE one has varying grab and spin depending on where on the disk you select it. It is the most real of any program I ever used. I love that turntable, it re-energized my DJ'ing out of the CD pit.

I have been using OTSJUKE for years and I am only switching because of the effects and looper VDJ has. I just hate the VDJ turntable. Please do this test and perhaps you can work out your own code for a soon released upgrade, or work out a deal with OTS Steve to use their code. A merger would be awesome. They are out of Australia. www.otsjuke.com

Thanks for allowing the suggestion.

Regards,

Jim L.

Posted Thu 26 Jul 07 @ 7:56 am
JeremKPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
You mean you scratch with the virtual spinning turntable on the skin?

Have you heard about the CD timecoded solution? i think this would be best.

Posted Thu 26 Jul 07 @ 11:49 am
Yep...can scratch pretty good with ots turntable. I use a Microsoft trackball. If I want an extended scratch session I click lock it so I can just put my hand on the ball and do my thing. The ots player allows a foward scratch or backward scratch by holding down the Crtl or Shift key depending on which direction to do the scratch.

Plus the scratch is variable depending on where you have the mouse pointer. Inside the turntable close to the spindle is a real slow draggy scratch vs. at the outer edge of the platter where it is very simular to the VDJ feel sharp and snappy.

In their new version 175 they allow for a 100% + or - tempo. So you can choose a multitude of songs and slow it down to -100% and use that sound for the scratch or sound effect. Its pretty cool.

The CD timecode might be something to experiment with, but I am striving to go to gigs just a laptop. I take 3 laptops now, one for video and two for mixing.

I hope my little suggestions here will inspire VDJ to improve their turntable dynamics.

Regards,

Jim L.

Posted Fri 27 Jul 07 @ 4:46 am
I see where u are coming from. I kinda like the idea even though I dont scratch.

Posted Fri 27 Jul 07 @ 8:42 am
erxonPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I tryed the software you mentioned, which is actually a free version for personal use.
The mouse-turntable simulation is nice, it implements the real-life inertia, and has a great
capability to quantize the mouse speed, so it's actually possible to turn it with mouse only
and get a constant pitch (unlike VDJ's wobbled sound). But it lacks a VDJ's great feature
to speed-up or slow-down subtly with a right click-button.

It's cool, it's even useful for comp-only mixing, but it's not a feature PRO (TC) Dj's would
need though. And I pretty much doubt VDj would implement that (a personal opinon,
based on no inside info just experience from numerous updates since v1.4), it has been
discussed before many times.

Posted Fri 27 Jul 07 @ 8:53 am
erxon,

Thanks for the tip on right clicking the turntable. I see what you mean by subtle changes in control. With the OTS turntable the F3 F4 keys control deck A's pitch up and down, and the F7 F8 are for deck B.

I put little rubber pucks on each of those keys to help locate them in the dark. Works real good.

I am a bit disappointed that you say VDJ doesn't improve their product much by our suggestions. I don't think it would take much to build an option to switch between the original VDJ turntable dynamics and the OTS style dynamic. I certainly would enjoy the choice between the two. Comments from any VDJ developer reading this wish request would be appreciated. Is there any chance this idea can be implementated?

Regards,

JIm L

Posted Sat 28 Jul 07 @ 12:02 am
erxonPRO InfinityMember since 2003
JimmyL-DJ wrote :
I am a bit disappointed that you say VDJ doesn't improve their product much by our suggestions.

I did not say that. It would be selfish to claim that just because they don't improve/add
features that *I* think are important. It's a common practice that they listen to what the
community has to say, it's just that they have their own list of priorities, and I can't blame
them for that. To me, this software is still in a phase of great potential, but still has a long
way to go.

One of the issues is the way sound engine is built (it's also the reason I speculate they
won't be implementing inertia on TTs) - if you use any plug-ins you'll notice that they
are dependent on song time-flow, instead of an absolute. E.g. when you use a "brake"
plug-in and press "stop", the sound will not be processed further but it will be 'paused',
and the spin-down will continue when you click play again. It's also a reason why it's
impossible to use any VST plug-ins properly, because when you stop the deck, the
effect will be cut out too, and it's this dependency that ties your creativity and options.

Posted Sat 28 Jul 07 @ 9:36 am
It sounds nice but really history shows VDJ is driven by new features that others haven't done yet. There's a lot of features that aren't quite usable in implementation that I'd like to get fixed and scratching isn't even one of them but given the pace of this feature race going on in DJ equipment I don't see those old features being fixed anytime soon.

Posted Sat 28 Jul 07 @ 1:11 pm
apopsisdjPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
Mouse scratch is a joke, sorry.
Get Timecode vinyls or cd's with vinyl mode.
Nothing else to say.

Posted Sun 29 Jul 07 @ 5:49 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)