Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Is it illegal to use DRM Removal tools ? - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

jimmy bPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Hi all

I live in the UK and I use legal mp3 sites to buy my music from, also I use Napster.

I've been floating around the net and i've come across this www.wma-converter.com.

I want to convert all my music to mp3 format at the mo my music is a mxture of mp3 ,wma and wav format.

This tool can convert all my music files, to mp3 but is it illegal to use, as my napster tracks are protected by DRM. Would removing this DRM be breaking the law. I know all this is a very grey area.

Some advice would help.

Cheers, Jimmy B

Posted Wed 25 Jul 07 @ 6:14 pm
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
100% undoubtedly certainly for sure ilegal

regardless of what any one says the purpose of drm is to prevent copying to meet copyright laws

removing this is as bad as not buying it in the first place.

but....

many do it any ways , as they have little means of tracking it

Posted Wed 25 Jul 07 @ 6:20 pm
PFD50PRO InfinityMember since 2007
I can just imagine the call:

Police: Hello Police

Person: Hello can I tell you that my neighbour has used a DRM removal tool on his PC.

Police: Bye ......click click click

I am not sure but what to do is keep 1 set with all the DRM attached and convert a copy. That way in the hugley unlikely event that you get raided by the police you can prove you own the music

Posted Wed 25 Jul 07 @ 6:21 pm
Quick run I can hear the siren's.

Thank's for clearing it up.

I thought it would be. PFD50 that's abit naughty but I like the idea.

Posted Wed 25 Jul 07 @ 6:37 pm
JeremKPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
This depends on what country you live in. Converting DRM-protected file in mp3 has become (in France) illegal with the DADVSI law a year ago.

If you want to stay legal, go in the middle of the ocean to convert your tracks, lol

But if you want to stay legal, burn the files on a CD in audio format, and then rip the CD in mp3.

Posted Wed 25 Jul 07 @ 7:48 pm
GaryBrPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Removing DRM is not illegal. In fact there are challenges being made against DRM at the moment with some organisations claiming DRM is illegal as information is collected about the user and embedded in the file. DRM doesn't seem to conform to the data protection act, as information is only allowed to be stored for a certain amount of time, which is not the case with DRM.

Obviously it is illegal to copy, duplicate or distribute the file/track.

Posted Wed 25 Jul 07 @ 9:48 pm
Cheer's GaryBr

I've been looking around the net on this sudject and all I can say. IT'S A BLOODLY MINEFIELD.

Some peolpe say it is others say it isn't. I know where the record companies are coming from, but don't they spoil it for the like's of me and you who just LOVE MUSIC.

Posted Wed 25 Jul 07 @ 11:23 pm
Removing DRM is illegal. Converting your files into a drm DRM free file is not. You can do this using two main methods. Record from your line-in as you play the file. Or, record to a cd and then rerip the track. It's worth noting that these tracks you've bought are probably licensed for solo use and not allowed for public performance.

Posted Wed 25 Jul 07 @ 11:29 pm
I think to be precise, it depends on what country you live in. Obviously different laws apply.

Posted Wed 25 Jul 07 @ 11:48 pm
It's illegal to strip the drm in any country which enforces the DMCA (Digital Millennium Copyright Act). Unfortunately I was unable to find a list of which countries this affects.

You never know who's listening... I believe Fox News ran a short story in the past few months about how the FBI is able to monitor sounds received through your cellphones microphone even if it is switched off (as long as it has battery). Scary world.

Posted Thu 26 Jul 07 @ 12:00 am
Yep, certainally is

Big Bother is watching.

Posted Thu 26 Jul 07 @ 12:16 am
DJ-ALFPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2005
Let's give them Big Sister and we will be ok :))

Posted Thu 26 Jul 07 @ 1:21 am
JeremKPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
Andrew87 wrote :
It's illegal to strip the drm in any country which enforces the DMCA (Digital Millennium Copyright Act). Unfortunately I was unable to find a list of which countries this affects.

That's because it's an american law, so it only applies to american citizens.

But there is an european equivalent: EUCD

Posted Thu 26 Jul 07 @ 11:13 am
I think the police in the UK have said that they will be chasing people around for these crimes as the record labels make hundreds of millions every year so they should really be a position to protect themselves.

I completely agree with this as a tax payer. Sod the fat cats, catch the junkie thiefs who are commiting crimes against fellow humans.

Posted Thu 26 Jul 07 @ 12:07 pm
After further research. i stand by my initial view that it is not illegal to remove DRM. It is illegal if you are removing it for illegal reasons.(In UK & Europe)

It is illegal to produce software that circumnavigates DRM.

It is SPECIFICALLY LEGAL to remove DRM to enable the file to interpolate with other software, ie Virtual DJ

Reverse engineering of existing systems (DRM) is expressly permitted under the Act under specific conditions. Under the reverse engineering safe harbor, circumvention necessary to achieve interoperability with other software is specifically authorized. See 17 U.S.C. Sec. 1201(f). Open-source software to decrypt content scrambled with the Content Scrambling System and other encryption techniques presents an intractable problem with the application of the Act. Much depends on the intent of the actor. If the decryption is done for the purpose of achieving interoperability of open source operating systems with proprietary operating systems, the circumvention would be protected by Section 1201(f) the Act. Cf., Universal City Studios, Inc. v. Corley, 273 F.3d 429 (2d Cir. 2001) at notes 5 and 16. However, dissemination of such software for the purpose of violating or encouraging others to violate copyrights has been held illegal. See Universal City Studios, Inc. v. Reimerdes, 111 F. Supp. 2d 346 (S.D.N.Y. 2000).

Source: Wikipedia

Posted Thu 26 Jul 07 @ 2:07 pm
You can write any old crap into Wikipedia. Don't trust it

Posted Thu 26 Jul 07 @ 2:38 pm
PFD50 wrote :
You can write any old crap into Wikipedia. Don't trust it

Very true, but the links in it actually go to the EC Directive which says exactly the same :)

Posted Thu 26 Jul 07 @ 2:45 pm
I think we need a sticky about this subject on these forum pages.

It should include a link to the different organisations who police this copyright laws for each of our countries so we know where we all stand.

Let's just chill.

Posted Thu 26 Jul 07 @ 5:14 pm
jimmy b wrote :
I think we need a sticky about this subject on these forum pages.

It should include a link to the different organisations who police this copyright laws for each of our countries so we know where we all stand.

Let's just chill.

Lets just do it.

Posted Thu 26 Jul 07 @ 5:44 pm
Well for a start, if you are using your laptop for work in the UK, you need a digital dj license. Even if you own the original recordings and ripped them to your hard drive, you still need a license for this privilege.

I myself have been checked twice when I've been at work by random visits from PPL.

More information and purchase here http://www.ppluk.com/ppl/ppl_lf.nsf/DigitalDJ?openPage

If you are unsure of anything to do with what you can and can't do, its probably best through the PPL site as well. You probably wont like the answer, but they know what they are talking about.

Gary

Posted Thu 26 Jul 07 @ 6:02 pm
53%